Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2017, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by iahphx
Thanks for this very helpful info. From reported experience, does UA TRY to sit "families" who buy BE together? My daughter recently had an experience with Ryanair where they intentionally split up her party (Ryanair admits they do this to encourage folks to pay for seats).
No.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
4. No. If you want to sit with your companions, UA does not want you to buy this fare.
True, but I suspect that we will increasingly see families who purchase BE playing the "don't make my child sit alone" card with fellow passengers (asking them to give up choice seats that they paid more for). Will be fun for FAs

Originally Posted by mrswirl
Count me as one who has so far booked away as a consequence of BE fares.

I'm a MM so I'm not chasing PQMs for status and I'm not going to pony up an extra 45% premium or deliberately suffer E- when WN is charging the same price for the same routes.

Anecdotal for sure and maybe I'm an outlier but the general bad taste of UA debasing their FFP to drive service standards even lower and prop up ancillary revenue is obvious to many.

At least with WN you know what you're going to get and they don't have to play games with their fare structures.
Bingo. I'm very close to 1MM status but I am booking away because I refuse to pay a huge premium (x4 for family trips) to fly UA. In the past UA often got the benefit of the doubt because the elite perks + EQM > $20-30 higher fare. But now the fare differential is often higher and I can get similar perks on VX/AS/AA with my credit card or for free/cheap on WN.

Thanks for this very helpful info. From reported experience, does UA TRY to sit "families" who buy BE together? My daughter recently had an experience with Ryanair where they intentionally split up her party (Ryanair admits they do this to encourage folks to pay for seats).
I don't think UA is sufficiently sophisticated to do that, nor does it need to be. Many flights are already packed so you rarely find an aisle (or window) seat within a week of travel, except for the occasional seat that opens when an elite gets a CPU.

So far I haven't exactly "booked away," but I have seen some UA fares that I would have booked had they not been BE. To me, it's a numbers game. I'm obviously not going to prefer UA if all I'm getting is their BE product (even the enhanced version given to high elites). The BE fare I did buy was $80 cheaper roundtrip for a 3 hour flight. For my party of 3, that would have been $240. I don't think economy plus and assigned seats are worth $240. Others may differ.
Was $240 cheaper than your alternative on WN/AA/DL/VX? Because I haven't seen that on any my flights - at best UA is simply matching the lowest fares.

This would be a tough scenario for me as I see no reason to accept BE any more than to fly Spirit, Ryanair or any carrier with an unacceptable product. Instead I think I would likely wait for a fare reduction on a competitor. WN is the only airline I fly without an assigned seat, and I gladly pay EBCI to ensure I get an aisle and to save seats for my family.

E+ certainly has a value to me and when I was 1P I often paid the upcharge for 2 family members. But it wasn't $80 even on transcon.

We often talk about "business travelers" and "leisure travelers" as though they're completely different sets of people, but most business travelers also have some personal travel too. (Otherwise, what's the point of frequent flyer miles?). All of the major airlines need to be careful about treating "leisure travelers" too harshly lest they lose the "business travelers" that are actually the same people wearing different hats.
This is a good point we see often in Gleff's blog. Pissing off your elites when they fly with their families is not smart, because they can easily choose to direct the lucrative business tickets to your competitor. I'm flying SQ paid C TPAC soon - could easily have chosen a UA routing but why bother when the product is inferior and the message is that my business doesn't matter?

All of a sudden that $80 BE revenue looks small compared to the $7k fare you just lost.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:05 pm

Quick explanation why my kids picked a BE fare on UA. They applied SWU/GPU from LAX to NRT, but then that meant they needed to go PHX-LAX. Going SWA would have been the cheapest option but meant schlepping luggage from T1 to T7 using the bus. They did this on the last rip and while the flight was great, the terminal change at LAX created some annoyance. So this time they picked UA since at least they are in the same terminal and that makes things a bit easier. They don't like to give their money to UA for this BE fare ( they are both 1 K ) but in this case convenience was the defining factor
for their decision. Now if they will be able to check their luggage through from PHX to NRT that would mean they hit the jackpot.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Was $240 cheaper than your alternative on WN/AA/DL/VX? Because I haven't seen that on any my flights - at best UA is simply matching the lowest fares.
Yes. I bought a $98 roundtrip BE fare that had an $80 upsell to regular economy. I actually wasn't going to buy it, because I'm not keen to experience BE, but my wife and daughter insisted. It's a long weekend trip that we probably wouldn't have made at a higher cost. So UA basically made me an offer I couldn't refuse for a sucky product, even though I wanted to.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Exleftseat
Quick explanation why my kids picked a BE fare on UA. They applied SWU/GPU from LAX to NRT, but then that meant they needed to go PHX-LAX. Going SWA would have been the cheapest option but meant schlepping luggage from T1 to T7 using the bus. They did this on the last rip and while the flight was great, the terminal change at LAX created some annoyance. So this time they picked UA since at least they are in the same terminal and that makes things a bit easier. They don't like to give their money to UA for this BE fare ( they are both 1 K ) but in this case convenience was the defining factor
for their decision. Now if they will be able to check their luggage through from PHX to NRT that would mean they hit the jackpot.
I'm a bit surprised that the PHX-NRT through fare was that much more expensive than the LAX-NRT fare.

They should get their 1K luggage allowance and they should be able to interline the bags; however, they should arrive extra early to do so, as apparently a UA/UA interline is actually more difficult in the system than a UA/non-UA interline.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 10:51 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
That's just not true. It takes quite a few non-BE passengers to make up for the revenue lost by an empty seat (due to book-away). It's entirely possible for BE to be revenue negative. Unfortunately, I don't think that it will be -- or DL would have dropped it already -- but I'd welcome it if it were.
You're missing the context. The implication was that demand was constant and that the lowest Y fare pax all shifted to BE. There was no book-away in that theoretical scenario.

This makes no sense. In a non-BE world, the vast majority of passengers on the plane have purchased the lowest fare class that was available at the time of booking for their cabin of service, whether they're interested in E+ or not. People looking to upgrade internationally will have bought up to W, and some people will have selected a flexible / unrestricted ticket, either due to uncertain plans or corporate travel policies. But most everyone else just looks at the lowest available economy / first price and goes from there.
It makes all sense. BE passengers are very price sensitive. After all, they just turned down many better amenities to save $10-40. It would be a turn-around for that type of passenger to buy-up to E+. Combine that buying preference with the lack of people buying up to E+ in the first place, and the revenue loss from BE being unable to buy-up to E+ would have to be small to virtually none.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by minnyfly
You're missing the context. The implication was that demand was constant and that the lowest Y fare pax all shifted to BE. There was no book-away in that theoretical scenario.
Fine, but in the real world, people will book away, and UA absolutely must replace those passengers with incremental revenue elsewhere. If your statement is, "all things being equal, higher prices generate more revenue," that's fine -- but all things are not equal.

It makes all sense. BE passengers are very price sensitive. After all, they just turned down many better amenities to save $10-40. It would be a turn-around for that type of passenger to buy-up to E+. Combine that buying preference with the lack of people buying up to E+ in the first place, and the revenue loss from BE being unable to buy-up to E+ would have to be small to virtually none.
If this analysis were true, ULCCs would go out of business immediately. Their entire business strategy is to entice people with low fares and then make their money on ancillary revenue. People are simply more willing to spend $100 twice than $200 once. Study after study has proven it, and the fact that the ULCCs are still in business confirms it.

Just because you're not seeing E+ full on your flights doesn't mean it's not full on others. It also doesn't mean that the customers currently seated in E- aren't going to be willing to do a last-minute buy-up when they realize how lousy their seat will be -- perhaps even a TOD all the way to F.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 12:03 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
The only additional take-away for a UA Premier member vs a DL Premier member is Premier qualifying credit. If I were a DL premier, I'd hate BE just as much as I do as a UA premier. I care about what I spend on business travel, but I care more about what I spend on personal travel. And I definitely care about sitting in E+ / C+ at a minimum, which is one of the reasons that I fly UA instead of DL.

And, you know what? I don't live in a hub city. I could easily fly DL instead of UA -- both are approved travel options for my company. UA has more flights in and out of AUS, but DL is expanding and I could make them work. The flight costs are typically about the same.

I choose UA because they're a better fit for my personal travel.

We often talk about "business travelers" and "leisure travelers" as though they're completely different sets of people, but most business travelers also have some personal travel too. (Otherwise, what's the point of frequent flyer miles?). All of the major airlines need to be careful about treating "leisure travelers" too harshly lest they lose the "business travelers" that are actually the same people wearing different hats.
I 100% agree with you that how one gets treated on "family" travel is a large part of the "package". United has in the past been relative savvy about these things, for example giving E+ access to more family members and allowing MMs to pick a spouse. The combo of E+ + lounge access has caused me to pick United for family vacations over the last few years on some trips, even when I gave my business travel to Delta/VX.

I think the difference is that BE is showing up on any "family" trips on UA, and not on Delta. For example, I recently booked 4x SFO-SEA-SFO. United wanted to sell me BE, Delta and VX/AS were both regular Y, for the exact same price. VX/AS because they don't do the BE scam, DL either because we were outside of the lowest fare categories, or due to a particularity of the SFO-SEA market (fare was $158 RT X/t fares) I did not have BE.

I say again, I have yet to ever run into a BE fare on DL, even for family trips. I know it is out there, I just don't run into it.

This said, UA is showing some really weird pricing on this route in the last few days, see e.g.: BE being offered at $216 RT while one can buy Y on the same flights for $78 RT.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Yes. I bought a $98 roundtrip BE fare that had an $80 upsell to regular economy. I actually wasn't going to buy it, because I'm not keen to experience BE, but my wife and daughter insisted. It's a long weekend trip that we probably wouldn't have made at a higher cost. So UA basically made me an offer I couldn't refuse for a sucky product, even though I wanted to.
No I wasn't doubting that regular UA economy fare was $80 higher than UA BE fare, but was skeptical that lowest fare on all competitors (assuming there were others flying this route) was $178 when UA is offering a $98 fare. That type of differential rarely lasts unless the competing flights are nonstops vs. connection, or more preferable times, etc. See spin88 example above which demonstrates the situation where UA will absolutely lose my business. And leaves a stale taste because I'll be in E- on AS/VX. Why bother earning elite when I have to buy up just to get a seat assignments much less E+?

Last edited by Boraxo; Aug 18, 2017 at 12:49 am
Old Aug 18, 2017, 2:33 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold

Here's the thing, it's very very rarely $10 or even $20 RT. Far more often it's $40 on flights under ~$300 and $80 on flights more than that. You're looking at an upsell of up to 40% on short distance flights, and that's beyond just superly price sensitive customers not buying up or saying no to UA all together.

And don't even get me started on how often the difference is not what it should be. It's happening often enough to where I'm starting to think they'll just change the terms of BE buy ups to be an upcharge of anything up to say 50% of the BE fare.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"No carry on?"

This morning in the TSA line standing behind a guy that asked "What does no carry on baggage mean?" I replied "Basic Economy fare. If they won't allow your carry on it will cost $25.". "Hmmm I didn't know that. I can handle the $25".
Old Aug 18, 2017, 9:37 am

I have a question about carry on bag policy. It says that
You're allowed a small personal item that fits under the seat in front of you, such as a shoulder bag, backpack, laptop bag or other small item that is 9 inches x 10 inches x 17 inches (22 cm x 25 cm x 43 cm) or less.
I have a laptop backpack that is larger than those dimensions (20 x 12.2 x 5.7) but fits under the seat. I won't have anything else with me. Will that qualify as a personal item or do I need to check-in the backpack ?
Old Aug 18, 2017, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GiorgiD
I have a question about carry on bag policy. It says that I have a laptop backpack that is larger than those dimensions (20 x 12.2 x 5.7) but fits under the seat. I won't have anything else with me. Will that qualify as a personal item or do I need to check-in the backpack ?
Welcome to FT!

That entirely depends upon how the agents are feeling that day when you check in and board. If you're flying United Basic Economy, and don't have any status, you'll be required to check in at the airport counter. If the agent suspects your item is oversized, he or she may ask you to put it into the bag sizer. The same thing could happen at the gate (and they'd charge twice as much at that point). If nobody asks, you'll likely be fine.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 10:06 am

Thanks. Does anyone know how strictly is the policy enforced in practice?
Old Aug 18, 2017, 10:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by GiorgiD
I have a question about carry on bag policy. It says that I have a laptop backpack that is larger than those dimensions (20 x 12.2 x 5.7) but fits under the seat. I won't have anything else with me. Will that qualify as a personal item or do I need to check-in the backpack ?
I would get a smaller bag. Otherwise you risk having your laptop force-checked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.