Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2017, 5:28 pm
dtc

Programs: Restarting life as UA newb; AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
I think this is the primary reason for this ridiculous policy.

Customer as enemy mentality.
Hah... that's pretty much a quote that business school prof said: "Companies are in a war with customers - both want maximum value for minimum cost."
Old Jun 22, 2017, 8:55 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Gold (Current Platinum), United Mileage Plus, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by JohnneeO
I have been following pricing on ORD-EWR for Monday 8/21. I am looking to book, but the cheapest flight remains the 9:30 PM departure, and I would like to get home earlier. Whenever I look, the non-BE fare remains the same, but the BE fare has been fluctuating and with it, the up fare.

I am tracking this change on a daily basis, and I will post the it next week, when I will have more data.
Did I say next week, I guess I meant next month!

In any case, the data shows that the BE to E differential on May 22 was $35, and has remained at $15 since May 24. I wish I had tracked it more precisely prior to May 22, as there was more variability in the BE to E differential prior to that date, but I never recorded the data.

The 9:30 PM departure has always had the lowest fare, with the 4:05 departure on a 9-across 772 occasionally matching. The BE price points over the last month have been: $114 - $117 (On May 22 with the $35 differential) - $129 - $137 - $140 - $147 - $172.

I purchased the 4:05 departure in on June 1 for $152 (non BE), the lowest price I have seen for that flight in the last month.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Seeing the news on UA requiring folks who are on BE to check in with an agent in order to get a BP.

UA Explorer card members (primary member + 1 companion on same PNR) or Premier members still get a carry-on per the BE T&C. Does this mean that if I have a BE ticket I still have to see an agent to check in?

If so - I guess what makes sense is to fake check a bag then to get my BP, then never check a bag if I want to have a carry-on only?
I have a Chase United MileagePlus Explorer card and have the same question.

I am also wondering if the MP Explorer benefits apply ONLY if I purchase the tickets with the MP Explorer card. My preference is to use Chase Sapphire Preferred for buying tickets, because CSP comes with travel insurance.

I have been assuming that I get MP Explorer benefits by the virtue of having the card, regardless of how I pay for the tickets. But when I asked this question in another thread someone answered that the benefits are predicated on using Chase United MP Explorer for the purchase. This is important and I'd like it to be confirmed or refuted.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Hemera
I am also wondering if the MP Explorer benefits apply ONLY if I purchase the tickets with the MP Explorer card. My preference is to use Chase Sapphire Preferred for buying tickets, because CSP comes with travel insurance.

I have been assuming that I get MP Explorer benefits by the virtue of having the card, regardless of how I pay for the tickets. But when I asked this question in another thread someone answered that the benefits are predicated on using Chase United MP Explorer for the purchase. This is important and I'd like it to be confirmed or refuted.
The only United-specific benefit that is contingent on you using the Explorer card for purchase is the free checked bag benefit. The other benefits (e.g. priority boarding) don't require that you use the card.

Also, the Explorer card has Travel Accident Insurance, Trip Interruption/Cancellation/Delay Insurance. Obviously you only get these non-United specific benefits if you use the card. https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-...ection-new.htm
Old Jun 22, 2017, 4:47 pm

I had no issue checking in via the android app today as a non-UA *G on a BE ticket, without checking any bags.
It might be that the united system is a bit inconsistent at the moment about checking individuals with status and/or other benefits on BE tickets.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by ermon
I had no issue checking in via the android app today as a non-UA *G on a BE ticket, without checking any bags.
It might be that the united system is a bit inconsistent at the moment about checking individuals with status and/or other benefits on BE tickets.
Wow.....over 6 years to get up the courage for that first post^
Old Jun 22, 2017, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by Exleftseat
My son-in-law scored a $ 500.00 o/w UA ticket LAX-NRT in W which was instantly upgradeable with GPU. He originates out of PHX but the upgrade from there was not available, waitlist only and the ticket price was doubled. To get to LAX he is offered $ 100.00 o/w in BE, reg. economy is + $17.00. He is 1K, so carry on and baggage is no problem for the 45 minute ride. As I understand it UA states "no interlining". Technically he is not interlining, just continuing on an UA flight. Can he check luggage through on two separate tickets, BE and biz? Or does this have nothing to do with BE and depends on the check-in agent?
Quick update. He decided not to play the UA shame game like the ridiculous and shameless extra $ 17.00 to get full Economy, a 17% fare increase plus extra taxes and fees. So he booked on SW,
got a lower fare. Will check in at the 24 hr mark and probably get better seats ad certainly better service. Plus two pieces of luggage included. That what happens when a company tries to fool their loyal pax. They let their wallets do the talking. And he used to be 1000 percent loyal to UA for so many years. Sad.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by threeoh
The only United-specific benefit that is contingent on you using the Explorer card for purchase is the free checked bag benefit. The other benefits (e.g. priority boarding) don't require that you use the card.
Thank you, this is very helpful. After reading your reference links, I went to my United account and made the MP Explorer my primary payment card.

Please also clarify the following:
If I buy a Basic Economy fare and want to bring a full-size carry-on luggage aboard, I am eligible to do so as an owner of the MP Explorer. Does this eligibility depend on whether I have purchased my tickets (or paid taxes on reward tickets) with the MP Explorer? Or just having it is sufficient?
Old Jun 22, 2017, 8:18 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Exleftseat
Quick update. He decided not to play the UA shame game like the ridiculous and shameless extra $ 17.00 to get full Economy, a 17% fare increase plus extra taxes and fees. So he booked on SW,
got a lower fare. Will check in at the 24 hr mark and probably get better seats ad certainly better service. Plus two pieces of luggage included. That what happens when a company tries to fool their loyal pax. They let their wallets do the talking. And he used to be 1000 percent loyal to UA for so many years. Sad.
Was the WN fare cheaper than UA’s BE fare?
Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:00 pm

Yes. But remember, there was a fare sale.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Hemera
If I buy a Basic Economy fare and want to bring a full-size carry-on luggage aboard, I am eligible to do so as an owner of the MP Explorer. Does this eligibility depend on whether I have purchased my tickets (or paid taxes on reward tickets) with the MP Explorer? Or just having it is sufficient?
You are certainly entitled to a full-size carry-on if you pay with your card. You are probably able to have a carry-on even if you do not, since the enforcement mechanism is Group 5 boarding, while the card grants Group 2 to the primary cardholder even if it not used to buy the ticket.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 8:20 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Gold (Current Platinum), United Mileage Plus, Avis Preferred
Two things I noticed today.

1) BE is not available on itineraries involving a connection on flights operated by Silver Airways.

2) On some routes, I am noticing a $15 BE-Economy differential on N/S flights, while on some 1-stop options have a $15 differential, and other 1-stop options have a $30 differential.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 11:54 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
Wow.....over 6 years to get up the courage for that first post^
"If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything."

Just catching up on this thread, and surprised to see there's still some debate about whether this is a fare increase. The argument that you can't compare the same fare from day to day is absolutely true of course, but UA has stated that the intent of BE was to make more money (while providing more choice ). I think it was $1B/yr or something of that magnitude.

Call it whatever you want I suppose...
Old Jun 23, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
I am really confused on some of the economy basic fares I have seen. Here is one that costs MORE than flexible economy. I mean - who would choose this? Shouldn't they just hide the basic economy and standard economy columns when flexible economy is cheaper than either one?

Old Jun 23, 2017, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
I am really confused on some of the economy basic fares I have seen. Here is one that costs MORE than flexible economy. I mean - who would choose this? Shouldn't they just hide the basic economy and standard economy columns when flexible economy is cheaper than either one?
I'm assuming this is a r/t search. They allow you to choose Basic Economy here so that you can also have it available on the return. I agree it's not the greatest system.

Those are all the same fare. There's a bug on .bomb where the same fare shows a slightly different price under different columns.. still not sure why but you can see the PQDs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.