Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No More Weekly Specials?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2016, 7:46 am
Original Poster

United Specials stopped?

Has anyone else noticed that the weekend United Specials that are usually posted on their website by Tuesday (for Friday/Saturday to Monday/Tuesday travel last minute) not been happening the past few weeks? Is this normal for those who are more experienced at monitoring this (this is the first year I paid attention to it on their website)?
Old Nov 3, 2016, 8:32 am

There are much, much better "weekend specials" out there than what UA posts on their site. Google Flights is your friend, even for last minute stuff.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 10:27 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by blankspace
Has anyone else noticed that the weekend United Specials that are usually posted on their website by Tuesday (for Friday/Saturday to Monday/Tuesday travel last minute) not been happening the past few weeks? Is this normal for those who are more experienced at monitoring this (this is the first year I paid attention to it on their website)?
Thru the years, these come and go -- especially around the holidays. Likely there is not much spare inventory this time of year that UA is trying to push out at cheap last minute prices.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 9:27 pm

Programs: United Mileageplus 1K; HHonors Diamond
No More Weekly Specials?

Is United no longer offering the weekly deals that come out on Monday evenings? I haven't noticed any for several weeks and was curious if that was just a coincidence or if they are no longer doing these.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 7:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
None posted. Don't know why, but could it be because of the holiday weekend?
Old Nov 8, 2016, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lhen01
Is United no longer offering the weekly deals that come out on Monday evenings? I haven't noticed any for several weeks and was curious if that was just a coincidence or if they are no longer doing these.
Didn't they used to post on Tuesday, not Monday?

IME, even if they are in the 'specials' page, they show up with regular searches. Being in a spoke, they typically only posted to non-stop hubs anyway, which only gives me a few options, so easy to check. Out of CVG, at least, almost always either K or L fares, that show up in regular searches.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 7:26 am

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Titanium, Hertz - President's Circle
UA's social media team confirmed websales are no longer...

About 2 weeks ago I Tweeted to the social media team about the absence of weekend fare sales. They got back to me 24 hours later and informed me that they're not doing them anymore/right now. However, that is subject to change.

Since the link hasn't been removed from .bomb I'm thinking they'll comeback at some point. IMO.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 9:02 am

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
The weekly specials harken back to a time when nearly all discounted domestic airfares required 14-21 days advance purchase, such that airlines risked flying lots of empty seats outside of peak travel periods. With carriers now routinely offering discounted fares with as little as 0-7 days advance purchase, the need for last minute deep discounted flash sales has greatly diminished.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 10:22 am

Programs: UAL 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by craigsnyc
About 2 weeks ago I Tweeted to the social media team about the absence of weekend fare sales. They got back to me 24 hours later and informed me that they're not doing them anymore/right now. However, that is subject to change.

Since the link hasn't been removed from .bomb I'm thinking they'll comeback at some point. IMO.
I hope they return, always good value to ASE during winter months
buckeyefanflyer likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K and 1MM, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond
Angry Weekend Specials are Permanently Gone

The webpage associated with them is now gone, and instead just points to their general specials webpage
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...s/default.aspx

I got confirmation from a United agent that weekend specials have been permanently discontinued due to the introduction of basic economy.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 9:43 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM & 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BigJC
There are much, much better "weekend specials" out there than what UA posts on their site. Google Flights is your friend, even for last minute stuff.
Depends on what routes you were trying to fly. DEN to numerous small airports nearby, nonstop? Can't beat $168 round trip for a weekend, especially when no one else flies that route. They were useless when I was at a non-hub city but for the 2 years I spent in Colorado, it was great.

RIP, weekend specials, you were a good friend!
Old Jan 31, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTT; IHG DiamondAmb; WoH Globalist; UA1K2MM; NationalEE; AvisPC; HertzPC
I miss the weekend specials. They used to have some good intl deals flying out from IAH for a short weekend trip. No more.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: UA: 1K, AA: Gold, Hilton: Diamond, Marriott: Plat Premier, Hertz: Pres Circle
Bummer about the weekend specials. As a DC resident from Ohio - I could always count on the weekend specials 90% of weekends from either DCA or IAD to get home for a weekend. I guess it will be the PA turnpike for me from now on

Real sad especially on a 3-day weekend.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 5:43 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Plat, IHG Spire, Hilton,Miles&More
United weekly "Specials" gone?

It's been a few months since I've last checked, but United previously had weekly specials for upcoming weekends, some of which were quite interesting.
weve taken advantage of several over the years for a quick weekend getaway.
Have they discontinued this offer?
Old Apr 3, 2017, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by pdxdtm
Bummer about the weekend specials. As a DC resident from Ohio - I could always count on the weekend specials 90% of weekends from either DCA or IAD to get home for a weekend. I guess it will be the PA turnpike for me from now on

Real sad especially on a 3-day weekend.
There is a way to fly over the Turnpike, or atleast the hilly part:
https://iflysouthern.com/

I'd like to try them out one day. One can fly HGR-PIT for $29, with an advance purchase. Of course, from PIT you'd have to rent a car to drive to where you need to go in Ohio, but flying over HGR-PIT would save one 200 extra miles of driving and the hilly part of the Turnpike. HGR apparently has free parking also.

If you're going to Cincy, PIT would still be pretty far. But Frontier and Allegiant offer some low fares now to the CVG to the East Coast. Southwest will start CVG-BWI and might offer some low fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.