Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Could/Should/Would UA move to a strictly dollar/money based qualification scheme?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Could/Should/Would UA move to a strictly dollar/money based qualification scheme?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2016, 6:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Someone could use that status earned in one trip and get status match on another airline. Thanks United. Adios. Use certificates to upgrade friends.

No, moving to a purely $-based scheme would kill off a lot of loyalty. theyd have to significantly increase the $ thresholds to keep the numbers where they are now.
From UA's point of view, if someone gave them $17k on a high margin fare to status match to another airline, doesn't UA make out great? they only transport the pax one time, make tons of money, and be on their way.

For $17k, using the certs on friends, is likely much more beneficial to UA than a $12k flyer who uses on themselves or friends (i don't htink who you use it on changes the cost equation for UA).
Old Oct 23, 2016, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
A few years back, my wife made 1K with only 44K BIS, but those 44K were mostly on full international C fares.

UA did not publich it had selectively reviewed certain flyer's activities to manually adjust the status based on spending. It was a nice surprise to my wife.

I have been both SQ PPS and GS member for several years now. Only premium cabin fares count towards PPS qualifications. The dfference is that I am willing to pay for business class services on SQ all the time versus I am more willing to pay for Y and uprade to C using GPU if not for corporate travel contracts.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 11:01 pm
tht

Programs: UA 1K 1.01 MM
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I took a last-minute business trip a couple of years ago that came in at $17k (IAH-LHR during London Olympics). Should that make me 1K for a year and a half if that was the only trip I took that year??
Then you would not make anything, there is a 4 segment minimum with UA for any status. I will make Platinum with 2 trips in business to India this year. Only 3 of the 8 segments were/are on UA, so I am only getting status because I also flew LGA-ORD-LGA on UA. If I end up going again I would hit the spend and PQM and make 1K.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 1:25 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
A few years back, my wife made 1K with only 44K BIS, but those 44K were mostly on full international C fares.

UA did not publich it had selectively reviewed certain flyer's activities to manually adjust the status based on spending. It was a nice surprise to my wife.

I have been both SQ PPS and GS member for several years now. Only premium cabin fares count towards PPS qualifications. The dfference is that I am willing to pay for business class services on SQ all the time versus I am more willing to pay for Y and uprade to C using GPU if not for corporate travel contracts.
No surprise here. I work in a similar industry where we also have loyalty programs and our President came to my group once asking for some data on high value customers to see if it was worth bumping up their status early.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 11:45 am

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
As someone who will end the year with just barely 50k PQM and almost 12k PQD...that would be awesome, but I don't see it happening.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
United has a revenue based recognition scheme: GS.

It would be nice if they'd split it out into a GS-lite and a GS+, though I believe they do have some tiering internally on the GS side.

If you're truly a high yield flyer, its not like its that hard to get to 100k EQM anyways, its <4 paid premium class int'l trips a year.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 11:54 am

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
Originally Posted by entropy
United has a revenue based recognition scheme: GS.

It would be nice if they'd split it out into a GS-lite and a GS+, though I believe they do have some tiering internally on the GS side.

If you're truly a high yield flyer, its not like its that hard to get to 100k EQM anyways, its <4 paid premium class int'l trips a year.
On the flip side, if you're a high CPM flyer who is 100% domestic, you're going to end up boarding the plane with the rest of the credit card holders in group 2 despite being a more profitable customer than many in group 1.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by tht
Then you would not make anything, there is a 4 segment minimum with UA for any status....
Bad assumption. IAH-IAD-LHR-BRU-NSI-BRU-EWR-IAH.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 1:35 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This is going to come down to personal circumstances. HVF (high revenue) flyers on UA tickets will qualify "easier" in a PQD only based system. Others will do worst.

The issue should not be viewed from the flyers personal preferences because UA will need to decide which is better for UA. The award rewards system is already tilted to the HVF. Will UA be better off with the status system so tilted?

Assuming there is a choice, would then the middle value flyers seek a friendlier carrier?

Does not UA catch many HVF via the GS system?

Could the present system be the sweet spot -- a system for mid-level revenue but higher mileage folks? and a system for the really high revenue folks?
My complaint is the HUGE gap between 1K as GS - I would like to see 1K qualifications bumped up a bit

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.