Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 8, 2017, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyHighInTheSky
Global Services Qualifying Discussion- 2018
Qualification Form
Please only fill out the above form once you are 100% certain that you have made or not made Global Services for 2018.

Qualification Spreadsheet
This will be a discussion thread, for discussing the needed qualifications and timing of notification.
Use "Global Services 2018 Notifications (ONLY)" to report your actual notification.
For discussion of GS benefits, please use Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2017
For 2017 qualifications, see the 2017 thread

To find your PQDs if >than $12K
Go to MileagePlus activity since my last statement and it is in the "Account summary" table at the top of the page.

Note this is not just the UA operated PQDs (which is commonly believed to be what matters for GS) but rather your total PQDs.

Definitions

BIS is actual scheduled flight distance (Great Circle Mileage Distance -- GCM) between airports with 500 mile minimum for elites. This is the standard used for Lifetime miles also. Those flying mostly sub-500 segments sometimes prefer to not use the minimum rule.

The definition for CPM is a bit vaguer, especially since CPM is used in multiple different situations.

Believe for the purpose of this thread, GS qualification, folks are using

PQD CPM = UA PQDs / UA BIS

Note there is no direct evidence UA uses this CPM number for GS Qualification but it is a number FTers like to use.

As for BIS, UA does not report this number your account and it needs to be manually tracked.

One way is to make use that PQMs are based on BIS but there may be a multiplier / bonus for high end fares. If always in 2x PQMs, you could divide by 2 to get BIS.

rwsteelers had a good method for determining UA BIS -- the change in Lifetime Miles from the first of the year.
Print Wikipost

2018 GS Qualifying Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2017, 1:23 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Average spend across X years

Again, we are all speculating as to the algorithm that is used to calculate GS (and I am not going to get into the non-UA metal debate upthread, as that is one of the few we believe we DO know).

My question is about "average" spend across a number of years. We have at least anecdotal evidence that some folks re-qualify with numbers that on their face would not likely qualify them in year 1. Some have speculated that it is easier to re-qualify because UA looks at a certain amount of history and averages your spend over that time period.

Again, I know it is speculation but does anyone have any direct feedback from UA regarding average spend over a certain amount of years? If so, how many years are viewed? I am curious because due to a family issue, I am off my normal pace for the year. I will likely be around $38K for the year. This appears to be low (despite flying from an out-station). If UA averages my last 3 years (as an example) I am closer to $50K and a lot more comfortable. So, what do the sages of FT think? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 1:42 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bluedemon211
My question is about "average" spend across a number of years. We have at least anecdotal evidence that some folks re-qualify with numbers that on their face would not likely qualify them in year 1. Some have speculated that it is easier to re-qualify because UA looks at a certain amount of history and averages your spend over that time period.
It is not speculation (though they "evaluate", they don't necessarily "average"). See below for a quote directly from an official email from United Global Services:

Originally Posted by United Global Services in 2016
We evaluate your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier members over recent consecutive years.
If this remains true for 2018 is anyone's guess.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by manstein58
Sorry but this does not make sense. UA got the freight from its customer but then had to reroute him/herand the freight doesn't count as GS spend?? Pardon me for being a Doubting Thomas but that is not a great way to treat your besties. And my experience has been different with IRROPS
I honestly doubt this comes up so often as to be relevant for most people. You have to:

- be on the borderline of qualification
- Get rebooked during IRROPS onto non-UA metal on enough flights where you would no longer cross the border

Considering the lack of transparency around the actual qualifying number, it is impossible for anyone to say whether a given flight caused someone to miss GS and so a GS-potential wouldn't even know that's why they missed it or feel they were mistreated as a result.

All I know is that someone who administers GS told me that if I was on the border they would take this into consideration during the manual review process in January and that their system is not sophisticated enough to count ORC for GS qualification automatically.

Thankfully I either wasn't on the border or they did the review in advance because I was notified of GS qualification on the same day as everyone else.

Having been spoiled by GS I would LOVE to know what the actual qualifying number is to make sure I hit that number again, but I suspect it's in United's interest for me to not know that number so that I try to exceed whatever it is.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
There is some good news however........if you are able to shell out the $50,000 PassPlus minimum GS spend, you can use your banked funds to purchase tickets on certain *A carriers, including LH.
Just curious, is there somewhere in the PassPlus benefits where it states you are given GS for singing up for the $50,000 level and can I do it as an individual?

My spend this year will be slightly over $50,000 and if I don't qualify for GS I would consider taking this alternate route since my 2018 spend will be this or more.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by AugustusM
Just curious, is there somewhere in the PassPlus benefits where it states you are given GS for singing up for the $50,000 level and can I do it as an individual?

My spend this year will be slightly over $50,000 and if I don't qualify for GS I would consider taking this alternate route since my 2018 spend will be this or more.
With $50,000 spend you will be granted GS. Must spend the prepayment within one year. Prepayment after 6/30 will give you GS through 12/31/18. Do a search on the United.com home page for PassPlus for further details.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 3:42 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM

Yes. Incidentally, when I adjust for the taxes I pay on my mostly international fares, $50,000 in spending only equates to about 45,000 PQD. So I figure if I'm above 45K PQD, I should just do PassPlus. Being able to fly LH or ANA instead of United is a huge fringe benefit.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

With $50,000 spend you will be granted GS. Must spend the prepayment within one year. Prepayment after 6/30 will give you GS through 12/31/18. Do a search on the United.com home page for PassPlus for further details.
I searched United's PassPlus page, both the Secure and Flex options and was unable to locate anything about being granted GS status by participating.

Originally Posted by porciuscato
Yes. Incidentally, when I adjust for the taxes I pay on my mostly international fares, $50,000 in spending only equates to about 45,000 PQD. So I figure if I'm above 45K PQD, I should just do PassPlus. Being able to fly LH or ANA instead of United is a huge fringe benefit.
That's a good point I didn't consider, I'll be doing more intl next year (only two trips this year) and that could be a large factor. I'm hoping to make GS this year with my spend but if not I would be willing to try the PassPlus option if it in fact does grant you GS.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 5:22 pm

I searched United's PassPlus page, both the Secure and Flex options and was unable to locate anything about being granted GS status by participating.
Call the PassPlus CS phoner number at (877) 357-4515 and they will confirm GS at $50,000 and answer any questions you may have. I have enrolled 3 times. You basically purchase a $50,000 prepaid debit card.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Call the PassPlus CS phoner number at (877) 357-4515 and they will confirm GS at $50,000 and answer any questions you may have. I have enrolled 3 times. You basically purchase a $50,000 prepaid debit card.
I tried calling earlier but I think the person responsible for signing up new members is gone for the day, I'll try again tomorrow.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Can you use PassPlus acct for other people in addition to yourself?
Old Aug 1, 2017, 7:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fivevsone
Can you use PassPlus acct for other people in addition to yourself?
No. That would be a nice way to score GS though
Old Aug 1, 2017, 8:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I searched United's PassPlus page, both the Secure and Flex options and was unable to locate anything about being granted GS status by participating. ...
Also see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...solidated.html
Old Aug 2, 2017, 5:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Thanks for the link, very informative. I'll give them a call later as I still don't see any mention of tiers for the individual plan on the website.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 7:21 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
The one year thing, if you sped $42,500 in one year, does the last $7500 go poof?

What if you spent it but haven't traveled yet?
Old Aug 2, 2017, 10:46 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
The one year thing, if you sped $42,500 in one year, does the last $7500 go poof?

What if you spent it but haven't traveled yet?
This is discussed in the referenced thread's wiki
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.