Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MIA-BKK Polaris First or TK J?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2016, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA (PLATINUM), HHonors (DIAMOND)
Thank you everyone for your help. It seems like TK is the consensus.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Dog Woof Million Mile Member
Originally Posted by flyer121
I have the option of flying MIA-IST-BKK with a five hour layover in Istanbul, Turkish Business Class. My other option is MIA-EWR-HKG-BKK on UA in Polaris First, CX J Between HKG & BKK. Flights are next July 2017 for three passengers. Thank you for your opinions.
One thing to factor in: Turkish Airlines has a GREAT business lounge in Istanbul. Great, fresh cooked food, comfortable chairs, showers and lots of entertainment options. They also have private bedrooms if you meet certain criteria. I just had a five hour layover there and it was quite a good experience. In fact, if you had a little bit more time, you can arrange to go into the city.

I've flown the EWR-HKG plane several times in business. It is a very good configuration with 2-2-2 seating. But why stop twice and risk the possibility that something will go wrong with one of your connections?

Save yourself some hassle and go on the Turkish flight. They also have very good food on the plane.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 8:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Thank you everyone for your help. It seems like TK is the consensus.
There is one downside that hasn't been mentioned yet, but it will keep me from flying overnight in TK J again: they tend to keep their planes at about 80°F, and they don't offer personal air vents. I didn't sleep a wink IAH>IST, and I was a wreck the next morning. Don't think I could stand it two nights in a row.

UA, like most US-based carriers, keeps its planes at about 68°F on night flights. Makes a big difference for me, but YMMV.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
There is one downside that hasn't been mentioned yet, but it will keep me from flying overnight in TK J again: they tend to keep their planes at about 80°F, and they don't offer personal air vents. I didn't sleep a wink IAH>IST, and I was a wreck the next morning. Don't think I could stand it two nights in a row.

UA, like most US-based carriers, keeps its planes at about 68°F on night flights. Makes a big difference for me, but YMMV.
:-:This times 10.
TK is unsleepable at the cabin temps they routinely program. If you want to have nice meals, service, club amenities, etc., then TK is nice. If you want to sleep, UA is far better.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
My other option is MIA-EWR-HKG-BKK on UA in Polaris First, CX J Between HKG & BKK.
EWR-HKG doesn't offer Polaris Global First; only the legacy CO LFBF seat (B/E Diamond) with the Polaris business service including pajamas.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by zombietooth
TK is unsleepable at the cabin temps they routinely program. If you want to have nice meals, service, club amenities, etc., then TK is nice. If you want to sleep, UA is far better.
FWIW, this has NOT been my experience on TK and I have flown TK four times this year.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 11:11 pm

Programs: *
If this is a paid ticket and you are crediting mileage to mileage plus then another consideration may be PQM and RDM, assuming status is of value. Depending on your fare you will earn 2 to 3 times PQM and can be up to 4 times RDM with the UA option.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
According to Seat Guru, TK's recline on the 777 is 177 degrees. So not lie flat. Anyone get a good sleep on that? There's no way I would choose that over 180 recline on UA and others.
Yeah and the plane pitches up a couple degrees at cruise which means this seat actually brings you to 180 relative to the ground where those that go all the way to 180 from the start leave your head ever so slightly below your feet.

I believe all carriers with this type of seat are the same in being at 177-178. As noted by others entirely imperceptible.

I've flown on CA's version of this seat on their A330 and had no problem sleeping ~8 hours on SYD - PEK.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 11:43 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Agree that the cabins are kept far too hot. Hard to sleep and keep hydrated.

One of my seat mates on a recent flight had brought something similar to this and had a great experience though.. I'm planning to try it on my next TK trip - seems like a great use of $10 and a little space in my carryon.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
FWIW, this has NOT been my experience on TK and I have flown TK four times this year.
That's great news. I wonder if there are specific crews/stations that have learned to keep the planes cooler, despite what appear to be official recommendations to keep things on the warm side.

May I ask what routes you flew, on which things were comfortably cool?
Old Oct 22, 2016, 9:07 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
The wording "177 degree recline" appears to have come directly from TK. (FAQ 4: Flying with Turkish Airlines: lounges, aircraft, routes, baggage) This confusion is probably caused by the marketing department trying to economize on words. I agree with Duke787 that the actual statement should be that the flat bed is angled 177 degrees relative to the ground (horizon). This is normal. AFAIK, across all airlines, flat bed J seats are installed with a 3-4 degree downward angle facing forward, and it levels out in flight.

To demonstrate, here is a PDB while at the gate (B788, PEK). You can clearly see the angle of the waterline relative to the perceived horizon. Enjoy your trip and safe travels!

Old Oct 22, 2016, 9:51 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
TK catering is outstanding. While we do not know how good (or not) UA's Polaris catering will be, my speculative guess is that TK will still outshine UA on the F&B aspect.

I have been through IST several times in the last few years and have not yet been flagged for SSSS.

IMHO, the only valid reasons for not taking TK over UA are:
- Mileage Plus considerations if this is a paid ticket
- Security concerns in the Middle East

Originally Posted by Kacee
TK 77W is lie flat.

SeatGuru is not a reliable resource.
This. The C seats on TK's 777 are full flat, in a 2-3-2 configuration.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 10:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 1kBill
TK catering is outstanding. While we do not know how good (or not) UA's Polaris catering will be, my speculative guess is that TK will still outshine UA on the F&B aspect.
I don't think UA will be able to touch TK's Do&Co catering with the onboard chef. It is the best food I've ever had in an airplane.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 2:49 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by 1kBill
- Security concerns in the Middle East

IST (airport) though is not in the middle east and largely unaffected by troubles if one is just transiting. But I accept that some may still regard it as close enough for concern
Old Oct 22, 2016, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by ani90
IST (airport) though is not in the middle east and largely unaffected by troubles if one is just transiting.
"Largely unaffected by troubles"? 45 people were killed and hundreds injured by terrorists at the airport just a few months ago. The entire airport was shut down, including for those who were "just transiting."

While I think we as a society dramatically overinflate the risk of terrorism, saying IST has been largely unaffected is a stretch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.