Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United charging $50 to redeposit miles even for award tickets issued before Oct 5

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United charging $50 to redeposit miles even for award tickets issued before Oct 5

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2016, 4:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, *A Gold
Exclamation United charging $50 to redeposit miles even for award tickets issued before Oct 5

I as shocked, unhappy and displeased to be charged $50 to cancel an award ticket (which was issued on Sept 29, 16 - i.e., before the Oct 5 date set by United for their newest "change/enhancement"), redeposit and credit my mileage. It took a very long time for a representative to finally understand the problem. She kept insisting there is a $50 charge until I pointed out what is written on the United website (that there is "no fee" for Premier Platinum/1K for tickets issued before Oct 5, 2016). She then had to speak with others internally and finally indicated that I would get my money refunded (I'll need to verify this with my credit card company). This is dishonest and improper - shame on United for not honoring what they advertised and for providing incorrect information to their own staff!
Old Oct 8, 2016, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
It's easier to dispute the $50 and keep a PDF of the posted documentation as backup. It also costs UA more this way.

Small price to pay for not coding the business rules correctly. But not surprising with their IT.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 5:12 am

Programs: UA 1MM (former 1K, Delta Platinum))
I missed this change; here is a link to the new rules.

Award service fees

For tickets issued on or after October 6, 2016: Fee for making a change or canceling with redeposit 60 or fewer days prior to original departure date: $50

This is the only difference between Platinum and 1K (still no fee) in this pair of charts.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by channa
It's easier to dispute the $50 and keep a PDF of the posted documentation as backup. It also costs UA more this way.

Small price to pay for not coding the business rules correctly. But not surprising with their IT.
Great idea!
Old Oct 8, 2016, 7:50 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by apram
I as shocked, unhappy and displeased to be charged $50 to cancel an award ticket (which was issued on Sept 29, 16 - i.e., before the Oct 5 date set by United for their newest "change/enhancement"), redeposit and credit my mileage. It took a very long time for a representative to finally understand the problem. She kept insisting there is a $50 charge until I pointed out what is written on the United website (that there is "no fee" for Premier Platinum/1K for tickets issued before Oct 5, 2016). She then had to speak with others internally and finally indicated that I would get my money refunded (I'll need to verify this with my credit card company). This is dishonest and improper - shame on United for not honoring what they advertised and for providing incorrect information to their own staff!
There was a similar issue a while back. If you call in and cancel with a CSR, then there is no charge.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by 1KChinito
There was a similar issue a while back. If you call in and cancel with a CSR, then there is no charge.
Except the CSR didn't know the new rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.