Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Weather waiver issued - Hurricane Matthew (Southeast U.S.)

Weather waiver issued - Hurricane Matthew (Southeast U.S.)

Old Oct 4, 2016, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, DL Silver (MM), HH LT Diamond, MR LT Platinum
Exclamation Weather waiver issued - Hurricane Matthew (Southeast U.S.)

Link

Finally. Just moved up by one day my MNL trip from MCO

Hurricane Matthew

Airports:

Fort Lauderdale, FL (FLL)
Jacksonville, FL (JAX)
Miami, FL (MIA)
Orlando, FL (MCO)
West Palm Beach, FL (PBI)
​​​​​​​​​​​

Original travel date(s):

October 5 - 7, 2016
Old Oct 4, 2016, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Silver
Originally Posted by NWstu
Link

Finally. Just moved up by one day my MNL trip from MCO
Given the uncertain weather in MCO, do you think it would be advisable to get on an early morning connecting flight on Friday, or stick it out until the ~5pm nonstop flight I'm on?

Don't know if it's advisable to wait until the end of the day for anything, even though the weather might be improved by then...
Old Oct 4, 2016, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, DL Silver (MM), HH LT Diamond, MR LT Platinum
Originally Posted by nycflyer222
Given the uncertain weather in MCO, do you think it would be advisable to get on an early morning connecting flight on Friday, or stick it out until the ~5pm nonstop flight I'm on?

Don't know if it's advisable to wait until the end of the day for anything, even though the weather might be improved by then...
I would leave Thursday afternoon or evening to be safe. Your 5 pm nonstop Friday might be canceled and Friday morning weather will likely be worse.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
My family of four is scheduled to arrive very late on Thursday. Already a given that we will skip our plans to visit The Space center on Friday, but Orlando seems to be spared. The Weather Channel is talking about a Europeon model that puts the storm much further west than currently shown, but who knows at this point.

I plan to stick with our original flight, arriving around 11:30pm into MCO Thursday unless things change for the worse in Orlando.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 3:27 pm

Programs: United 1K (3MM) and RCC, elite levels for most hotel and car programs
Flying into TPA which is not now covered by the waivers. Hoping that the florida west coast is unaffected by Matthew. But just a warning to those counting on friday flights ... UA and other airlines will be moving planes out of the danger zone and may have challenges getting equipment and crews back in for the Friday flights.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
My family of four is scheduled to arrive very late on Thursday. Already a given that we will skip our plans to visit The Space center on Friday, but Orlando seems to be spared. The Weather Channel is talking about a Europeon model that puts the storm much further west than currently shown, but who knows at this point.

I plan to stick with our original flight, arriving around 11:30pm into MCO Thursday unless things change for the worse in Orlando.
You are against the "traffic." Seriously, I would not fly to FL before Hurricane Matthew passed the region. Safe travels.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond

Might want to reconsider Orlando:

4.46pm EST Update: Top US meteorologist and renowned Hurricane expert Tom Terry has just tweeted a terrifying message.

He said there has NEVER been a storm in history [that] has been as powerful or come as close to the Florida coastline as Hurricane Matthew.

He posted on Twitter this evening: “The track of #Matthew should parallel our coast within 60 miles or closer. No other hurricane has been this strong this close, this track.”

Last edited by Bonehead; Oct 4, 2016 at 4:01 pm
Old Oct 4, 2016, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I live in the JAX and the most recent update I heard was that the eye is predicted to pass 60-90 miles east of us. And that central fla(Orlando) could expect tropical force weather Thurs night into Fri Morning. If that forecast holds, I find it hard to believe that an airline would keep aircraft on the ground in those conditions.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TomMM
I live in the JAX and the most recent update I heard was that the eye is predicted to pass 60-90 miles east of us. And that central fla(Orlando) could expect tropical force weather Thurs night into Fri Morning. If that forecast holds, I find it hard to believe that an airline would keep aircraft on the ground in those conditions.
I think COSPILOT may want to consider a nice weekend in San Diego instead of going anywhere near MouseWorld.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bonehead
I think COSPILOT may want to consider a nice weekend in San Diego instead of going anywhere near MouseWorld.
They need to keep in mind that you don't need direct or near hit to cause havoc. But if they do decide to come I wish them luck. I am flying out tomorrow on a pre-planned trip to CAI
Old Oct 4, 2016, 11:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Looks like Disney will refund my tickets, as will the hotel. Will make a decision in the morning. Wonder if UA will let me switch to OGG as a destination with my existing tickets. Problem is I did this as two one ways, with myself, wife, and kids flying Thursday, returning home next Thursday on a reservation that also includes my wife's parents. They arrived into MCO today.

I'm so used to flying alone for work and change tickets without thought, but having kids super excited and fixed dates for time away from school, in laws on my return reservation, I don't know what to do...

Can I split them off for the return, then cancel ours? I don't want to screw up my in-laws ability to return home to DEN.

Obviously the safety of my family comes first, cost be damned. I've never felt more confused about what to do. Some reports make it seem like Orlando will be fine, other reports say Orlando will get hammered.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...Can I split them off for the return, then cancel ours? I don't want to screw up my in-laws ability to return home to DEN.....
I would call UA ASAP (before it gets completely crazy) and explain the situation to them. I would hope that they would simply split you guys off, cancel those tickets, and allow them to be rebooked at a later date with no change fee.

Please let us know how it goes...
Old Oct 5, 2016, 9:02 am

I know everyone is going to think I'm crazy, but I'm still planning on going, however, We did switch to a earlier flight. We will hole up in the hotel tomorrow night and all day Friday. This assumes UA doesn't cancel the flight of course, which I fully understand if they decide to.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 10:21 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I know everyone is going to think I'm crazy, but I'm still planning on going, however, We did switch to a earlier flight. We will hole up in the hotel tomorrow night and all day Friday. This assumes UA doesn't cancel the flight of course, which I fully understand if they decide to.
I would rather brave the storm than tell 2 kids their Disney trip is off
Old Oct 5, 2016, 11:34 am

Keep us posted and good luck! We weathered Hurricane Jeanne in Disney in 2004(no flights,we drove) and they were great. We had to stay an extra day and the parks were closed but they had lots of stuff to do at the resort and they had characters around and movies for free all day.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.