Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 29, 2024, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)

UA policy on connecting bags requiring recheck (updated wording Aug 2017 -- removed 13-hour rule, another update Fall 2018 restored 12-hour rule)
For a trip that includes one or more connection, we’ll check bags to the final destination on your ticket.You'll need to go to baggage claim and re-check your bags if:
  • You chose to have a layover
  • You make a connection that involves an overnight stay
  • Your connecting flight departs more than 12 hours after you arrive at the airport
  • You’re connecting to an itinerary booked on a separate ticket that doesn't include a Star Alliance™ partner airline
  • You’re traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country
In practice. some have been able to avoid having to claim and re-check bags when on a long connection -- but if the agent insists, the agent is correctly implementing UA's written / published policy. See post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31816944-post390.html for how an agent may be able to help you: They can retrieve a hand-written UA baggage tags that had "Reroute" and "VIP" printed on them (not handwritten) and add your information.
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Default time is 12 hours. A small number of individual stations are enabled to allow bags to be checked thru for connections greater than 12 hours. Maybe we can build a list based on people's experiences for certain connection points.

I know FCO is up to 16 hours. SIN, HND, FRA, MUC, ZRH, BRU should all allow up to 24 hours.

UA social media team (Twitter) wrote on August 16 (2017), "Any connection below 13 hours is always checked through to the final destination" in the context of being regardless of being an overnight connection or not.

related thread: UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)
UA will not Short Check bags (but some loopholes)

Print Wikipost

Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2016, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by televisor

That said, I understand your worries about the length of the layover, and would also be interested in knowing whether people have had issues with long layovers. (I had no issues in SIN with 12 hour layovers, but they know how to run an airport there. I've also had no issues checking a bag 10 hours before a flight in ZRH, but they have an automated and computerised baggage transport and storage system.)
This is probably an unusual perspective, but I tend to book air travel using credit cards which provide generous "delayed luggage delivery insurance" and carry essential stuff in a rollaboard. Pretty much any time an airline loses checked bags is a moneymaker in my experience, or at least a fun bank-funded mini-shopping spree. (Or that's the theory anyway. I don't get "lucky" with lost bags much these days and in fact it stopped happening about the time I got wise to using CCs that carry delayed-baggage insurance.)

Others, understandably, greet irregular operations with less glee.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Where is your flight to IAD coming from? If it's a domestic flight, you should have zero issues. If it's international, you'll need to claim your bags before Customs, and then re-check them.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 9:06 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Catocony, point of origin is west coast US on a redeye. Idea is to be available for business matters during the day before continuing on to Europe in the evening.

Originally Posted by mherdeg
I think the worry is whether or not the bag will end up on the carousel at IAD and spin uselessly until it gets offloaded & ignored (with the OP continuing on IAD-OSL unaware that their bag isn't on the plane).

Exactly. That, or even when folks have seen that their bag is properly tagged, verification that it makes the interline transfer with such a long layover and doesn't end up in some corner of the connecting bins on the tarmac.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 9:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, AMEX PLAT
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
Looking at a potential early AM arrival to IAD with a 5PM departure on SK. I'll need to check a bag. Anyone have experience with this? A little bit worried about it making the connection. Appreciate any feedback.
Ahhh...you get a trip to the Udvar_Hazy. Have fun!
Old Oct 1, 2016, 10:18 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by Paolo01
Ahhh...you get a trip to the Udvar_Hazy. Have fun!
Ha, I wish. Love that place.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 2:58 am

Programs: AA Explat, SPG Gold, HH Gold
I checked my bag 13 hours prior to my 8pm flight at the Central train station, allowed plenty of time to explore HK without luggage.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 3:18 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
PUJ-EWR-IAH on one ticket, short checking bags

Hey everyone, flying PUJ-EWR-IAH booked on one through ticket (not multi city booking), with an overnight connection in EWR. Will the agent in PUJ short check it to EWR so Ill have my bag for the night?

Thanks!
Old Nov 3, 2016, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by S.R
Hey everyone, flying PUJ-EWR-IAH booked on one through ticket (not multi city booking), with an overnight connection in EWR. Will the agent in PUJ short check it to EWR so Ill have my bag for the night?

Thanks!
Has preclearance come to PUJ yet? If not, it doesn't matter whether your bag is through-checked or not: you'll still have to claim it at EWR, and submit it for customs inspection.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 3:24 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
I think that it will be checked to EWR due to the overnight connection. You shouldn't have to ask for it.

In either case, when you arrive in EWR you will clear Immigration, claim your bags, then clear Customs. At that point you have your checked bags with you. It will probably be too early to check your bags for the flight he next day.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 3:28 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by guv1976
Has preclearance come to PUJ yet? If not, it doesn't matter whether your bag is through-checked or not: you'll still have to claim it at EWR, and submit it for customs inspection.
Completely forgot that I had to pick up my bags at EWR after immigration anyway, thanks guys!

But say it is checked through to IAH and I don't re-check it and just take it with me, would that cause any issues?
Old Nov 3, 2016, 4:57 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by S.R
But say it is checked through to IAH and I don't re-check it and just take it with me, would that cause any issues?
Recheck it when you return to the airport the next day.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 7:22 pm

How about this? Less than 13 hours but overnight? Only to SFO or all the way through? I would love to let the bags go through and just pack stuff for the overnight in carry on bags and not have to wait for them and drag them on/off the hotel shuttle.

OGG-SFO 2pm-8:57pm
SFO-IAD 9:16am-5:20pm
Old Nov 13, 2016, 8:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by chuck1
How about this? Less than 13 hours but overnight? Only to SFO or all the way through? I would love to let the bags go through and just pack stuff for the overnight in carry on bags and not have to wait for them and drag them on/off the hotel shuttle.

OGG-SFO 2pm-8:57pm
SFO-IAD 9:16am-5:20pm
UA policy (explicitly) is overnight means no checking thru but many times if you ask they will check thru.
From UA website ( UA policy on connecting bags requiring recheck ) and the the thread's wiki
Making a connection that involves an overnight stay
Old Nov 26, 2016, 1:41 am

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Does anyone know the max scheduled ground time allowed between arrival and departure for interlining bags from UA to Cape Air? (separate PNRs obviously).

My origin would be from a regional airport and the last time I had to interline bags from UA to another carrier from a regional airport, a 1K supervisor (that's what he called himself) had to phone the UA check-in desk agent (I assume contract employee) to explain what interlining was and to walk him through the process.....

Actually it may be the case that interlining between UA and 9K could be problematic anyway?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 26, 2016 at 11:36 am Reason: cleanup after move
Old Nov 26, 2016, 8:12 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ermintrude
Actually it may be the case that interlining between UA and 9K could be problematic anyway?
Strictly speaking against policy, but there are a lot of anecdotal reports of exceptions being made for elites.

Max ground time should be 13 hours (but not overnight).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.