Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

You've changed this ticket too many times.

You've changed this ticket too many times.

Old Sep 28, 2016, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by thejaredhuang
I just reread the comments and I'd like to ask why does the fare amount give agents the right to justify their actions? On my trip twice I was told that you only paid XX for this ticket. A revenue ticket is a revenue ticket, it's not in my control or the agent's control how much I paid for it.
A 1K agent used the ticket price (code G in the original booking) to deny me a chance for upgrade with GPU after the fare code was changed to full-price Y during IRROPs. I guess that agents were told to use the ticket price as an excuse.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 5:30 pm
Suspended

Oddly enough, I got better service from the phone agents than United's horrid LAX ground staff (except the gate agents who were very helpful as well).
Old Sep 28, 2016, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Kmxu
A 1K agent used the ticket price (code G in the original booking) to deny me a chance for upgrade with GPU after the fare code was changed to full-price Y during IRROPs. I guess that agents were told to use the ticket price as an excuse.
That's annoying and against the rules, but every so slightly justified.

In my case both ground customer service agents quoted the dollar amount I paid as an excuse for:
1. not putting me on the CPU list, not on because of companion
2. not letting me SDC my ticket, again with an agent because of a non status companion

First offense was rectified by a LAX gate agent. Second put me on the no change list.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Same Day change implies that the fare class has to be available so your fare class wouldn't have changed if you were just SDC'ing?
That's not how they've implemented it.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 8:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
That's annoying and against the rules
Against what rules? If the first agent went by the book, the ticket would never have been changed to full Y in the first place. Generally, agents who do this are just lazy or untrained.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
That flight was full. Only Y code was available to book me on that flight at the time. The rebooking agent did it right but she also denied my GPU request. I called again and got the same answer.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 8:42 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by mduell
That's not how they've implemented it.
I've never had (normal) SDC change my fare class. (I have had a change to Y in IRROPS SDC, but that still credited as the original class.) Even the one time I asked an airport agent to do it for me - still the original fare class.

I've actually done 2-3 day rolling SDC a few times now, no issues whatsoever. Even once on a connecting ticket (turned a layover into a 1.5 day stopover).
Old Sep 28, 2016, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by televisor
I've never had (normal) SDC change my fare class.
At least one of their SDC channels was changing XN to Y for a while.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 9:23 pm

However in SHARES...Is it true that you still apply GPU after the IRROPs-rebooked within 24 hours of departure? If you have the GPU already applied, I don't see why you couldn't do it, but if you are saying before the flight no GPU was applied but afterwards GPU was applied then it's a different story.

PS: I have no idea why 1K agents couldn't put RPUs or GPUs within 24 hours of departure. I can technically right now book the flight next day morning and apply GPU to it right away. :/
Old Sep 29, 2016, 11:45 am

Programs: UA1K MM, BA Gold, Hyatt LT Globalist, Bonvoy LTE, IHG Diam, HH Gold, Amtrak Sel Exec
Originally Posted by TH310
Yes. That is exactly what I should have done. FWIW I was very polite to the service agent, but I would have been better off saying that I needed to call back.

Sure. I like to fly and I like to be excited about flying. This agent's attitude was something of a buzzkill. For 2016, I will have to work to get to the next level (platinum). Since I am already Gold (barely) and can live without Platinum, I might have more fun flying airlines or aircraft that I haven't been on before. Yes, I might try something else since my enthusiasm was a little dampened by this agent. I'm saying this without any sort of anger or sense of revenge. But I think it is worth mention that an agent's attitude over a $60 ticket could result in the loss of a pair of J tickets to Air France or TK. I find it interesting that UA has this person working the priority desk and she is not more big-picture oriented. She certainly did not need to add the notation "no more changes without a fee." That was at her discretion.

btw, I appreciate the responses. Thanks.
I see where you're coming from. I often take different airlines or routings to try something different. This year I hit 1K quite early and Unityed was rather underwhelming on a few trips so used it as a chance to try VS, AF, and KL premium cabins on some of my Europe trips. I really enjoyed all three of them. I make this choice because I don't see huge incremental value in GS and there's more value in trying and learning about other products.

That said United still has great agents at the 1K desk who really save the day when things REALLY go wrong (in a way that no other airline does). So don't hold too much against the airline for one surly agent.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by televisor
I've never had (normal) SDC change my fare class. (I have had a change to Y in IRROPS SDC, but that still credited as the original class.) Even the one time I asked an airport agent to do it for me - still the original fare class.

I've actually done 2-3 day rolling SDC a few times now, no issues whatsoever. Even once on a connecting ticket (turned a layover into a 1.5 day stopover).
I've had SDC via website offer to change my fare class, but I've never bit to see what it does.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL DM, UA 1K, MR PP
I just reread the comments and I'd like to ask why does the fare amount give agents the right to justify their actions? On my trip twice I was told that you only paid XX for this ticket. A revenue ticket is a revenue ticket, it's not in my control or the agent's control how much I paid for it.
This happens to me almost every week. I commute home DFW-IAH-CLE and back on weekends as personal travel and I book 6+ weeks out on G fares. Agents constantly bring up the fare price as a benchmark for their level of effort when changing a flight...

Never happens on Delta
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Same day means same day--you tried to move it to another day and got caught.
I have a friend, who is a FTer who has stayed 'in transit' for a week, 24 hours at a time! It can be done, you just need to know how to do it.....and get a some great agents on the phone.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 3:28 pm
BJM

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by TH310

I have to go back to France in November and although another J ticket might get me to Platinum I’m just not feeling much love for UA after the conversation. I’m now thinking it might be fun to try AF’s A380.
I am going off topic but only because OP started it.

not as fun as you might think. AF have angled seats in business. So, if your idea of 'fun' is waking up under the seat in front of you, go ahead. Though the plane cams are kind of cool.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 3:58 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Or don't change fare class to Y in the first place if you're not happy with the consequences. Or fix your IT so that it doesn't have to.

United always wants it both ways.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.