Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

OS begins lax-vie April 10. Tons of j award space via UA

OS begins lax-vie April 10. Tons of j award space via UA

Old Sep 29, 2016, 9:12 am

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by spgaston
Any word on which terminal at LAX? TBIT? Star Alliance Business Class Lounge?
it will most likely be out of TBIT
Old Sep 29, 2016, 11:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by haddon90
it will most likely be out of TBIT
I think that's more or less guaranteed. LH and LX are already there and OS is LH Group.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

d
Originally Posted by jmanirish
I would think an LAX-FRA on UA would do well, even if only seasonally. Perhaps 'colluding' with their JV partner LH, to swap a UA LAX-FRA instead of one of the second LAX-FRA LH flies seasonally
Agree LAX-FRA would be worthwhile to look into.

Actually, LAX-FRA was alreay served, in the summer of 2008 (or 2007?), IIRC; but then canned with the spike in oil prices & slowing demand.

Originally Posted by Kacee
I think that's more or less guaranteed. LH and LX are already there and OS is LH Group.
Indeed, anything else would be a surprise.
And for infrastructure there is the great *A lounge at TBIT.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Yes, LAX-FRA was around in 2007-08. I miss it. Easy upgrade at the time.

OS announced wifi and premium economy today -- Austrian is looking better and better.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 4:25 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Have Award ticket. Can't buy it?

Holding space on the NS LAX to VIE as a Saver Award end of April to beginning of May.

I was trying to see how much purchasing business class tickets would be: it looks like the non-stop cannot be purchased? Am I searching incorrectly? Have tried multiple dates; there are plenty of options thru ORD, etc, or LH to MUC and then to VIE?
Old Sep 29, 2016, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
I believe I saw it as 70k miles when I checked for business saver, non-stop.
I did not check pricing.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 7:51 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mmack
Holding space on the NS LAX to VIE as a Saver Award end of April to beginning of May.

I was trying to see how much purchasing business class tickets would be: it looks like the non-stop cannot be purchased? Am I searching incorrectly? Have tried multiple dates; there are plenty of options thru ORD, etc, or LH to MUC and then to VIE?
Sure, it prices on Google Flights - around $4900 RT when I looked.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
This is great!

Planning for my birthday in the summer trying to do California-Europe-California J award starting in BUD and ending in TXL (with a few in between like AMS and KEF on their own tix).

SFO-BUD was only offering TK through IST with a 1h connection. Missing that would mean 12 hours spent until the 7am flight.
Changing to LAX I'm able to book LAX-VIE-BUD and TXL-VIE-LAX.
I would have liked to try TK and compare DO&Co but didn't want to risk it. May take a look as the months roll on and see if some thing opens or changes on one of legs to a different carrier to try instead of OS both legs (which right now has a 5h connection on the way to BUD).

Edit: Used the OS conf# on the LH site to pick seats. Able to get throne seats in row 3 and row 9...so main and mini cabin, any reason to not try out both (i.e. the mini cabin)?

Last edited by JVPhoto; Sep 29, 2016 at 9:34 pm
Old Sep 29, 2016, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Edit: Used the OS conf# on the LH site to pick seats. Able to get throne seats in row 3 and row 9...so main and mini cabin, any reason to not try out both (i.e. the mini cabin)?
Main concern is they serve off the trolley for everything but the main starting in the front. They also serve all food front to back so if you are looking to sleep quickly, sitting in the mini-cabin will make things difficult.

IMO, the best two seats on the plane are 1A and 1K. I've never had a problem with galley noise (flown in 1A on overnight and daytime flights), they have a bigger footwell due to the bulkhead which is the main issue with throne seats, and you get your food first and can go to sleep quickly (which from East Coast on TATL is of great concern).

As noted upthread, those seats are held for SEN/HON but if they are unclaimed at T-24 they are open for grabbing (at least as a *G/*S on separate occasions) and I would highly recommend.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by Duke787
Main concern is they serve off the trolley for everything but the main starting in the front. They also serve all food front to back so if you are looking to sleep quickly, sitting in the mini-cabin will make things difficult.

IMO, the best two seats on the plane are 1A and 1K. I've never had a problem with galley noise (flown in 1A on overnight and daytime flights), they have a bigger footwell due to the bulkhead which is the main issue with throne seats, and you get your food first and can go to sleep quickly (which from East Coast on TATL is of great concern).

As noted upthread, those seats are held for SEN/HON but if they are unclaimed at T-24 they are open for grabbing (at least as a *G/*S on separate occasions) and I would highly recommend.
LAX-VIE I'm in row 3 so to eat and sleep quick will be nice. VIE-LAX in row 9. Not the biggest issue with sleeping that way.
Thanks for the trolley info wasn't sure if it was like other carriers with 2 cabins where they'll split it up.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 1:55 pm

Availability trends

Do they generally open up additional seats in J? I'm only finding Y availability in the time frame I'm looking at.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by speedlog
Do they generally open up additional seats in J? I'm only finding Y availability in the time frame I'm looking at.
This is a new route, so no clue how it's going to perform.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by speedlog
OS tends to open award seats in batches. When awards are gone they're gone for a while. May or may not open more later.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
This is great!

Planning for my birthday in the summer trying to do California-Europe-California J award starting in BUD and ending in TXL (with a few in between like AMS and KEF on their own tix).

SFO-BUD was only offering TK through IST with a 1h connection. Missing that would mean 12 hours spent until the 7am flight.
Changing to LAX I'm able to book LAX-VIE-BUD and TXL-VIE-LAX.
I would have liked to try TK and compare DO&Co but didn't want to risk it. May take a look as the months roll on and see if some thing opens or changes on one of legs to a different carrier to try instead of OS both legs (which right now has a 5h connection on the way to BUD).

Originally Posted by Duke787

Does the mini-cabin actually feel more intimate? E.g., the UA 789 'mini-cabin' seats (rows 6-8) don't seem materially different from the ones in the front (rows 1-5) to me.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 8:32 pm

I can't speak for the OS plane but I agree a little with you on the UA 787/sCO 777 back cabin. I usually take the front row there because of the bulkhead footwell and I dislike row 1. I feel part of it is the sheer "divider" to Y that separates it. On the South African A340 and EVA 777 I thought the smaller back cabin was more intimate compared to UA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.