Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Why isn't EWR the (current) best NYC airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2016, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

Our two recent experiences at LGA (DL F) have caused us to swear off flying in or out of Biden's 'third world airport'. (With regrets, LGA Centurion lounge!)

Apparently, not only us with LGA issues. Ugh. (sorry if paywall issues): http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/28/ny...your-bags.html

JFK has been better (VX travel), but not dramatically so.

Which leaves EWR as our default NYC airport for the next couple of years at least. With VX we're fine. And UA of course. We'll see how DL's and others schedules look as we plan our trips.

EWR may not be the greatest airport, but for (our) NYC travel, it certainly seems to be number one.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 11:28 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
As this is an opening post about airports in the New York City metropolitan area vs a discussion specifically about United, I'll move this thread to the New York City forum

goalie
UA Forum Co-Moderator
Old Aug 29, 2016, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
I never cared for EWR. While the airport roads aren't bad, the terminals (UA) suck.

I tolerate LGA now that UA has left JFK (not that I fly UA anymore ).

JFK is the best of the 3 local airports. N.B. I usually drive to the airport.

dh
Old Aug 29, 2016, 8:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

All three are fine. And all three are awful.

The experience will vary based on choice of transit method, which terminal you're at and the whims of ATC, among other things.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
All three are fine. And all three are awful.

The experience will vary based on choice of transit method, which terminal you're at and the whims of ATC, among other things.
Although for the next couple years the usual benefits of LGA regarding proximity and travel time are going to be limited.

JFK is definitely one of those airports where YMMV even on the same airline same flight.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 11:32 am

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
I usually fly to EWR because Olympia Trails offers frequent bus service to several Manhattan locations. Public transport options to the other airports are there, but SUCH a hassle. I like storing my luggage below, getting on the bus and getting off close to my hotel.

Last winter my Uber to LGA was $70 due to bad weather and surge pricing. I'll fly to EWR and take the bus from now on.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I used to live about 15 minutes from JFK. When I moved to NJ I was disappointed I would have to travel twice the time to get to EWR. Until I actually went to EWR and found it much nicer and easier to access with far less traffic - at least Terminal C was. I went back to JFK a few times and found myself missing EWR.

Different strokes for different folks
Old Aug 30, 2016, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Dianne47
I usually fly to EWR because Olympia Trails offers frequent bus service to several Manhattan locations. Public transport options to the other airports are there, but SUCH a hassle. I like storing my luggage below, getting on the bus and getting off close to my hotel.

Last winter my Uber to LGA was $70 due to bad weather and surge pricing. I'll fly to EWR and take the bus from now on.
The NYC Airporter goes to the same places in Manhattan from LGA and JFK. The buses are slightly newer but the crappier body on truck frame style.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
JFK has been better (VX travel), but not dramatically so.

Which leaves EWR as our default NYC airport for the next couple of years at least. With VX we're fine. And UA of course. We'll see how DL's and others schedules look as we plan our trips.

EWR may not be the greatest airport, but for (our) NYC travel, it certainly seems to be number one.
I haven't flown VX in/out of EWR in a couple of years, but aren't they still in the poopoododokakahole of the A terminal? At least at JFK, I can use the Priority Pass-affiliated lounge, and if flying AA premium transcon, have the AC.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I'd still rather fly out of LGA and be more inventive of how I get to/from the airport. EWR sucks with essentially no lounges but United Clubs and at least a 2 method public transit trip. LGA has a Centurion Lounge and a gorgeous Delta terminal with Sky Clubs. I'll take that all day.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 8:44 pm

This airport is best known for its easy connection to trains via the FREE AirTrain and more easier to navigate around the airport than JFK and LGA, and most of the staff do their best. Still my favorite airport to get in/out of NYC.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 9:15 pm

First, the obvious...it's not in NYC. EWR's security is annoying. Too strict.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 4:38 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Funny.. I have sworn off JFK T4 at minimum 3x because of TSA procedures and practices that I don't experience anywhere else.
EWR a breeze and Term C isn't bad (restaurants, space, logistics).

My list of EWR -
+ = Easy to get to, spaced out, lots of flights to everywhere
- = ATC and weather related delays are brutal (more so vs. JFK/LGA), airport staff are some of the laziest POS anywhere, prices for identical destination is multiples more vs. JFK/LGA
Old Sep 3, 2016, 6:03 am

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
EWR is my least favorite of the 3 NYC airports because of United's monopoly on most nonstop routes.

Fares are typically higher and props & 50-seat RJs are more common on United from EWR than Delta from LGA and JFK. It's often over $800 for a midweek round trip from EWR-RIC, which is flown on either a Dash 8 or an ERJ-145. No thanks.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by RooseveltL
[EWR]- = ATC and weather related delays are brutal (more so vs. JFK/LGA),
LGA was delayed on Friday night (2 SEPT 16) while JFK and EWR were not. Looking at the data I have from tracking FAA published delays/alerts it does not appear that EWR is disproportionally affected versus the other two for the month of August nor for the year 2016 to date. Nor the entire 2 year history I've been collecting the reports.

Originally Posted by Analise
EWR's security is annoying. Too strict.
Run under the same TSA rules as JFK's and LGA's. And zero difference lately IME from a practical perspective, too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.