Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Survey - "We value your feedback on our inflight entertainment."

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2016, 9:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

Received today

Help us improve your travel experience

We value your feedback on our inflight entertainment.

United® offers various types of inflight entertainment options. Please take a 5 minute survey to tell us what you think about these options as we are constantly looking to improve your travel experience.

We thank you in advance for your time and for choosing to fly with United.

Start survey ›
What types of inflight entertainment options are you aware of that are currently onboard United flights? Not every option is on every flight. Please select all that you are aware of.
- On-demand seatback video
- Overhead dropdown screens
- DIRECTV seatback live television
- Personal device entertainment (streaming entertainment)
- United Wi-Fi
- None of the above

Which of the below have you used onboard before?
- same list

How satisfied were you with the entertainment options you have used onboard?
(standard 5 choice Very Satisfied to Very dissatisfied)
- same list

In your own words, what is personal device entertainment?

What do you like most about personal device entertainment. Please select one.
- Content is available on your own device
- The ability to use your own headphones
- Content is free to watch
- Ability to watch full seasons of television shows
- The ability to pause and then return to TV show / movie later in the flight
- The number of options available
- Ability to access content through the United App
- Other _____________

How familiar are you with the United Airlines mobile app?
- I use it daily
- I use it weekly
- I use it monthly
- I used it a few times a year
- I have the app download on my phone but do not use it
- I have heard of the United Airlines app, but do not have it downloaded
- I have never heard of the United Airlines app

What type of movies and TV shows would you be interested in watching onboard. Select the two that you would be most interested in.
- Watch live music performances
- Full seasons of new-release television shows
- HBO exclusive content
- Major network sitcoms
- Classic hit movies
- Educational content
- Sports programming
- New-release blockbuster movies
- Documentaries
- Netflix / Amazon Prime original content
- Other ________________

How important are each of the below elements in creating a positive travel experience?
(standard 5 choice Extremely important to Not at all important)
- Complimentary soft drinks
- Seat comfort
- On-time arrival
- Inflight magazine
- Movies / TV shows to watch onboard
- Excellent flight attendant service
- Wi-Fi
- Quality food
had to transcribe, typos are mine
Old Aug 24, 2016, 10:09 pm
ssh

Programs: UA 1K (MM), MR Plat Prem, Hertz Pres
Room for additional comments? IFE (including PDE) has become so terrible, limited, and stale that I rarely even take a look at it any more.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 5:31 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ssh
Room for additional comments? IFE (including PDE) has become so terrible, limited, and stale that I rarely even take a look at it any more.
I agree with this, and that's just when the connection actually works for PDE.

Two other thoughts:

1. It looks like they may be exploring some type of content deal, from the question where HBO and Netflix are mentioned.

2. The last question doesn't make a lot of sense to me. What does one do with the results? It's pretty likely that Seat Comfort comes out on top, and they're not fixing that problem any time soon.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Kinda cracks me up that they ask what you like MOST about PDE, but no interest in any negative comments about it.

Harkens back to the "how much do you like poo for coffee" survey, with no option to indicate it is bad.

My overall comment: Get the thing to work consistently and then you can ask what kind of programs to offer.
And I prefer seat back anyway.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Kinda cracks me up that they ask what you like MOST about PDE, but no interest in any negative comments about it.

Harkens back to the "how much do you like poo for coffee" survey, with no option to indicate it is bad.

My overall comment: Get the thing to work consistently and then you can ask what kind of programs to offer.
A "what do you like most," question for a product is not about validating whether to keep offering the product, it's about research for what type of marketing message will resonate with consumers.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
They're not asking if you like it / want it. They're finding out how to sell it.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 7:27 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable

This +1000 ..
Old Aug 25, 2016, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by fly18725
A "what do you like most," question for a product is not about validating whether to keep offering the product, it's about research for what type of marketing message will resonate with consumers.
The marketing message that would resonate with me is "we are working to make our entertainment options actually work without causing frustration and disappointment."

Hard to see how they gather the necessary data based on the questions they are asking.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 3:15 pm

Exactly!

During my recent FRA-IAH flight on UA, they had to reboot the entertainment system twice, with some work in between until that "entertainment system" started working... ghm.. sort of. (I don't know what they were doing, but the power outlets were turned off during some 10-20 minutes between the two reboots.) The touch screen is clunky, and with the lugged response, you never know if that touch was registered or not. So, if you are trying to pause the video, where the same on-screen button toggle it, you have to keep the parity of the registered touches. My kid was extremely frustrated. So were we.
And I remember I had a similar frustrating experience on my IAH-EZE flight couple of years ago.
For comparison, SQ doesn't have a touch screen, and their system looks older (if not dated), but it's working.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 5:49 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
The marketing message that would resonate with me is "we are working to make our entertainment options actually work without causing frustration and disappointment."

Hard to see how they gather the necessary data based on the questions they are asking.
As mentioned above, they are not asking for customer friendly reasons, they are looking for an angle where they can say customers overwhelmingly asked for X and try and charge for it. If they don't give you an option to comment negatively, that's because they don't want to factor that into their next move.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
As mentioned above, they are not asking for customer friendly reasons, they are looking for an angle where they can say customers overwhelmingly asked for X and try and charge for it. If they don't give you an option to comment negatively, that's because they don't want to factor that into their next move.
Yeah. That is really what I said upstream and why it harkens back to the Poo coffee survey. I thought we had turned a corner from that stupidity, but United continues to amaze.

They may not want to factor it in, but it really just makes them look inept.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Yeah. That is really what I said upstream and why it harkens back to the Poo coffee survey. I thought we had turned a corner from that stupidity, but United continues to amaze.

They may not want to factor it in, but it really just makes them look inept.
Exactly. They might as well phrase the question as "What do you like most about our buggy, unreliable IFE that never works right -- the number of programs or the fact it's free?".

They need to acknowledge and/or fix the problems before they ask what people like best. Given the known unreliability, no one is going to pay for this stuff if that's the purpose of the survey.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.