Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA dropping BGM (Binghamton, NY)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2016, 6:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by blackllotus
The flights exist for people making connections. I fly into ITH a few times per year from SFO and being able to connect via plane is much more convenient than having to transfer to a bus. Of course, weather delays are frequent in the winter so it's not always that convenient...

I would love it if ITH got upgraded to jet equipment as UA phases out the turboprops. With ELM and BGM gone, UA may now have enough traffic on that route to justify it. I'm not holding my breath though.
DL serves ITH with fifty seater RJs, namely the CRJ-200. At least there aren't any propellers. Also, they board via jetways.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 7:05 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Also, I wonder how many of these flights (BGM, ELM, ITH, AVP etc.) were operated merely for slot squatting purposes?
Old Aug 25, 2016, 8:27 am

Location: New to BWI as of 2021; say hi if you're in the area!
Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by skimple
I really learned to despise those turboprops out of EWR.

When you factor in driving to the airport, security wait times, 90 minutes on the plane, etc - it's really starting to encourage driving to NYC. Even if you have to make a connection at EWR, its almost the same amount of travel time to just drive there. Even with tolls and parking, it's cheaper, and you don't find your self stranded at the airport, waiting for the daily turboprop saga to play out.
Could not agree more, though I'd say the claim about it being cheaper really depends on route, etc.

The flights theoretically exist for connections, but the reality is that when they are delayed/canceled so often (*apologies for not having the stats right in front me*), and people have come to expect such awful service, they cease serving any useful purpose.

I frequently drive to EWR/YYZ for non-domestic itineraries. I don't *want* to, but I simply don't trust the connections. PHL on US is just as bad. DTW on DL is certainly better, but the range of flight options there is more limited than EWR/YYZ.

I for one was definitely not happy when I learned that the slots were being lifted at EWR.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by blackllotus
The flights exist for people making connections. I fly into ITH a few times per year from SFO and being able to connect via plane is much more convenient than having to transfer to a bus. Of course, weather delays are frequent in the winter so it's not always that convenient...

I would love it if ITH got upgraded to jet equipment as UA phases out the turboprops. With ELM and BGM gone, UA may now have enough traffic on that route to justify it. I'm not holding my breath though.
I agree, but also not holding my breath. I go to CA a few times a year from ITH, and I keep hoping that, one day, we'll get ORD service. I know the airport authority has tried to get it (and applied for federal grants, etc.) but nothing has materialized so far.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Upstate NY was traditionally served by Mohawk, then Allegheny which became USAir.
Actually, AA was a major player in upstate NY years ago, with mainline service to SYR, ROC, and BUF from LGA. AA even ran some DC-10s to SYR and BUF! But until the AA/US merger, I don't believe that AA ever served BGM, ELM, or ITH.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 9:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by guv1976
Actually, AA was a major player in upstate NY years ago, with mainline service to SYR, ROC, and BUF from LGA. AA even ran some DC-10s to SYR and BUF! But until the AA/US merger, I don't believe that AA ever served BGM, ELM, or ITH.
Some have claimed that upstate NY would have developed better if not for being at the mercy of air service from Mohawk/Allegheny/USAir. Businesses require reliability.

SYR, ROC, and BUF are different sorts of airports versus ITH, ELM, and BGM, which from the beginning were meant to only have commuter service a few times a day. You're comparing airports (that might even be designated as "international" in their name) that have something like twenty mainline gates and full service (even though they're certainly not hubs and don't offer lounges, etc.) to places built with just a couple gates for commuter flights and rather limited services at the airport.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Keep in mind that Piedmont, which operates AA's ITH-PHL service, announced last month that it is transitioning from Dash-8 turboprops to ER4 50-seat regional jets. I expect that by 2017 or 2018, all ITH-PHL service will be on the ER4's, which should have better operational reliability than the old Dash-8's.

Whether there will continue to be four weekday ITH-PHL flights after the up-gauging remains to be seen.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Some have claimed that upstate NY would have developed better if not for being at the mercy of air service from Mohawk/Allegheny/USAir. Businesses require reliability.

SYR, ROC, and BUF are different sorts of airports versus ITH, ELM, and BGM, which from the beginning were meant to only have commuter service a few times a day. You're comparing airports (that might even be designated as "international" in their name) that have something like twenty mainline gates and full service (even though they're certainly not hubs and don't offer lounges, etc.) to places built with just a couple gates for commuter flights and rather limited services at the airport.
I was not so much comparing as observing.

In the 1970s, even little ITH had regular mainline jet service (to LGA, JFK, and PIT) on BAC 1-11's, DC-9's, and 737's.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
I flew AA mainline (first 707s and then 727s) from ROC and SYR to ORD in the 1970s.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:12 am

I was not so much comparing as observing.

In the 1970s, even little ITH had regular mainline jet service (to LGA, JFK, and PIT) on BAC 1-11's, DC-9's, and 737's.
ITH even had mainline service (to PIT on US) through 2001: http://www.departedflights.com/USPIThub.html
Old Aug 25, 2016, 11:11 am

Programs: UA1K
i've flown into/out of BGM a few times as my family has a farm house in apalachin. but i have not flown it from EWR. i did the IAD flights.

such an easy airport. sad to see it go. if i ever have to go to BGM def need to find a new way.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 11:44 am

AA ran DC-10-10's LGA-ROC in the 70's.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I guess ITH will be secure for now. At least Cornell is still there.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by mediator
I guess ITH will be secure for now. At least Cornell is still there.
I guess that United has to make Cornell professors happy . When my son was a student there, I booked him to BGM once and ELM once. The rest were ITH. When US was with *A, there were many options to book award tickets out of ITH. Sadly, this is not an option anymore.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Well, Binghamton also has a large university, but let the state schoolers drive to ITH to catch a flight. In truth though, all of Upstate N.Y. north of Westchester County has been pretty stagnant economically for years. When I revisited my undergraduate college north of Albany last fall, I saw that the entire "metropolitan area" has changed very little. And west of Albany, everyone should be familiar with how hard Rochester has been hammered. This kind of negative economic impact carries into the rural Southern Tier as well. Kinda sad, but it keeps the place "historic" and charming.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.