Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

(pretty urgent) Involuntary UA award cancellation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2016, 9:50 am
Original Poster

One-way Asia-U.S. award booked at saver economy 21+ days out with UA.

LJG-CTU on CA
CTU-CDG on CA
CDG-EWR on UA

for Aug 24th/25th

On the PNR now it says: This flight segment cannot be confirmed. Please contact United Reservations for assistance. for LJG-CTU on CA. All other flights look normal.

Called UA R and was basically told my ticket is not valid. Agent is offering to rebook at Standard economy but says she cannot add any availability, so now it seems a few overnight layover will be required.

How do I solve this? If I pay for potentially 3-4 overnight layovers out of pocket, will UA compensate in any way? Or even better, does UA have the power to rebook in paid Y since they basically IDB'ed me?
Old Aug 23, 2016, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Was it ever confirmed, making this an un-confirmation? Or was it always pending?
Old Aug 23, 2016, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BearX220
Was it ever confirmed, making this an un-confirmation? Or was it always pending?
Confirmed and ticketed with UA eticket number and UA and CA PNR.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 10:08 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
I had confirmed and e-ticketed awards before with CA flights that somehow had segments 'fallen off' the ticket, and UA couldn't fix those particular segments and told me to pound sand.

Not saying this will work, but provided the first CA flight is indeed on the PNR, even if not ticketed, you may want to try your luck heading to the airport and acting naïve. That's how I got on my ULN-PEK flight when it mysteriously became unconfirmed...

How helpful or knowledgeable the agents at LJG are is another story...
Old Aug 23, 2016, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
I had confirmed and e-ticketed awards before with CA flights that somehow had segments 'fallen off' the ticket, and UA couldn't fix those particular segments and told me to pound sand.

Not saying this will work, but provided the first CA flight is indeed on the PNR, even if not ticketed, you may want to try your luck heading to the airport and acting naïve. That's how I got on my ULN-PEK flight when it mysteriously became unconfirmed...

How helpful or knowledgeable the agents at LJG are is another story...
Good idea - would probably have done that unintentionally if I hadn't checked rez today. Currently on hold with UA (HNL); she's on hold with Air China...
Old Aug 23, 2016, 10:18 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Are the original flights still on the schedule?

This is not the first time their have been issues with CA awards -- becoming unconfirmed.
Originally Posted by acmys
.... How do I solve this? If I pay for potentially 3-4 overnight layovers out of pocket, will UA compensate in any way? Or even better, does UA have the power to rebook in paid Y since they basically IDB'ed me?
There is little UA can do if CA canceled the ticket.

When was the original ticket booked?
Old Aug 23, 2016, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Flights are still scheduled, still on my PNR (along with the flights for two other routings the agent is trying to work through).
Old Aug 23, 2016, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This is not the first time their have been issues with CA awards -- becoming unconfirmed.
My first thought when I saw the thread title was "I bet it involves CA flights."
Old Aug 23, 2016, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If things fall apart lijiang-ctu segment should be pretty cheap to buy - check ctrip.. and yes - ca has a murky history of vanishing awards although mostly a couple years back..
Old Aug 23, 2016, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
When was the original ticket booked?
January. Changed award with phone rep Aug 2.

Originally Posted by azepine00
If things fall apart lijiang-ctu segment should be pretty cheap to buy
3000 RMB at this point, for 24-26.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 23, 2016 at 10:34 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 23, 2016, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
One-way Asia-U.S. award booked at saver economy 21+ days out with UA.

LJG-CTU on CA
CTU-CDG on CA
CDG-EWR on UA

for Aug 24th/25th

On the PNR now it says: This flight segment cannot be confirmed. Please contact United Reservations for assistance. for LJG-CTU on CA. All other flights look normal.

Called UA R and was basically told my ticket is not valid. Agent is offering to rebook at Standard economy but says she cannot add any availability, so now it seems a few overnight layover will be required.

How do I solve this? If I pay for potentially 3-4 overnight layovers out of pocket, will UA compensate in any way? Or even better, does UA have the power to rebook in paid Y since they basically IDB'ed me?
How insulting that the original agent was unhelpful. I would have told her to go to you know where.
Keep us posted OP.

Last edited by goalie; Aug 23, 2016 at 11:02 am Reason: Off topic comment removed
Old Aug 23, 2016, 10:32 am

One of many reasons I dislike UA's increasingly close relationship/dependency with CA.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 10:32 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
January. Changed award with phone rep Aug 2.
Hmmm .. the change could be the issue, changing partner award tickets can be problematic.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 10:37 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
If you have a confirmed ticket, then UA needs to honor it, even if it means reissuing into a revenue fare class. If they refuse to, a DOT complaint may be in order.

That said, showing up at the airport early with a valid ticket number and acting clueless is likely to be effective as long as the flight isn't sold out.

I'm starting to get nervous because I have 5 awards on CA metal coming up next month (TPE-PEK x2, ULN-PEK-SIN x2, PEK-AKL), and all these horror stories about CA awards cancelling make me nervous.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 10:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Unfortunate to hear. Supposedly this problem with CA had been fixed, but apparently has not.

AC (AP) does not permit its agents to book CA awards for this reason.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.