Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is IRROPS alternative flight protection still offered? (seems to be a YMMV situation)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2018, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
What is" being protected?"

Protection means have an alternative flight reservation added to your itinerary in case your present flight is cancelled or maybe missed due to irrops. This was a common practice years ago but has become less common recently, appears UA is discouraging it -- but some agents still will do this, status may be a factor.

Note the new alternative flight is just a reservation, so if needed, you will need to work with an agent to get it properly ticketed but space is being held -- that is your protection.

If the protection is not needed (once you have successful completed the original flight), it is a good idea to cancel the protection. First. to release the space for other. Also it cleans up the record. Finally, there is a small chance (if the protect was not done correctly) it could cause cancellation of your later flights. Agents should use "ARUNK" to prevent this, but since it is not common to do protection, that may be forgotten.

Proactive flight protection questions/experiences & importance of "ARUNK"

from the UA FT Glossary
ARUNK/ARNK: Arrive Unknown -- a statement/segment in the itinerary to designate uncertainty of how traveler will arrive at the next departure point. Could be open-jaw, could be irrops or protected alternative. Needed to prevent auto-cancellation of remaining flights in some irrops situations.
Print Wikipost

Is IRROPS alternative flight protection still offered? (seems to be a YMMV situation)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2017, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
As a lowly 1K I've gotten nothing but refusal when I've asked UA to be protected on anything. It's been like that fr a couple of years.
I'm a lowly 1K that was proactively offered protection over the phone less than a week ago.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
I'm a lowly 1K that was proactively offered protection over the phone less than a week ago.
Perhaps it depends on the results f playing agent roulette... I guess I've not tried asking enough times. Fortunately I've not had to ask too often.

Last edited by Xyzzy; Jan 20, 2017 at 1:48 pm
Old Jan 20, 2017, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA GS
On Wednesday, I was connecting via IAH (to SFO). My connecting flight was at 9:40 pm.

When I landed (7:30 pm), I saw previous 2 IAH-SFO flights (scheduled departures @ 6:15 pm and 7:35 pm) were delayed. At the United Club, I asked if I could be put on the 7:35 pm flight (shows a 9:10 pm departure). There were plenty of empty seats on the flight.

The United agent wasn't sure that I should change from my original 9:40 pm flight. He said the 7:35 pm has had multiple delays. Since it was weather/ATC issues, I assumed that the 7:35 pm departure would leave before the 9:40 pm flight.

In any case, the agent added me to the delayed 7:35 pm flight and kept me also on the 9:40 pm flight. So I was on two flights.

Both flights were in the same area (C30 & C31), so if 7:35 pm flight was further delayed, I could still claim the 9:40 pm flight. I thought it was a nice gesture by the agent.

BTW the 7:35 flight was delayed to 9:25 pm but did leave at that time. Getting on the earlier flight saved me about 50 minutes, plus I was able to get a row to myself (the 9:40 pm flight was pretty much full).

I was glad to see that agents can protect you on other flights.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 2:02 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
As a lowly 1K I've gotten nothing but refusal when I've asked UA to be protected on anything. It's been like that fr a couple of years.
Aside from a rude rogue agent a couple years ago (who remains the only customer service employee I've ever named specifically when lodging a complaint and acted like I was speaking a foreign language when I asked about protection)...

The only time I've been initially turned down was when UA had no on-line options to offer. Even then when I've said "can you look at other airlines, please?" they've protected (either held space or immediately reissued/exchanged the ticket and confirmed) on American without any resistance whatsoever (once at the ATO, twice on the phone with reservations -- the first time on the phone was after talking to the agent mentioned above)

Maybe it has something to do with fare type? Every time I've needed protection it's been on a full-fare/unrestricted ticket (Y/B in back or F/A in front), since that's our travel policy. I know at least once [way back in the CO days] I was able to force reroute via NW when it looked like I was a probable misconnect due to a late inbound aircraft. Agent made specific mention that he could only do it because I was on a full fare [after spending 15 minutes telling a passenger in front of me for a different, also late flight, "no. weather. no. weather. no. weather....."]
Old Jan 20, 2017, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One of my biggest fears of Kirby is that he will change the rules on this. US was extremely customer unfriendly protecting passengers.

I was told by multiple US agents that you have to be Chairman (eqv. 1K) to be protected. Agents protecting anyone less than Chairman would get into trouble. It seemed things were better at AA recently when I had problems so hopefully he would not try to implement this at UA.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 9:27 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Within the space of a week had two delayed flights (FRA-SFO and then LAS-SFO) and in the first situation FRA GA moved me to the later flight although I arrived in time for my original flight and was told by the GA in SFO that I was not on the (SFO-SAN) flight (despite having a boarding pass in hand) that UA no longer protect on later flights and that was why I was actually moved to the later flight.

This weekend the GA at LAS told me I was "automatically" protected for the later (SFO-SAN) flight and when I informed her I had been told this was no longer possible she asked me why I thought that was the situation and I told her what the GA in SFO had told me the week before and she told me this was not true. I ended up catching my original flight this weekend due to the grounding of the flights (due to the IT issue) and getting text updates for the protected flight (and I asked them to remove me from the protected flight).

I am 1K and greatly appreciate the flight protection as I do seem to experience many delayed flights.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
Nice to see that protection is still being offered in some form.

In 2014, I had a horrible experience where UA refused to protect me for a connection at IAH and I was forced to "self-help" by going standby in a middle seat on a later flight (my original was delayed 3 hours). After a 20-minute dash across IAH, I arrived just as my original connecting flight was boarding, only to find that I had been offloaded. Fortunately I was able to get my original seat back but needless to say was not impressed with lack of effort to assist a 1K by GAs @SFO and phone CSR.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA GS
Two weeks ago LHR-ORD was late. My intenerary upon landing showed me on both the original flight to DEN and the one thereafter. Thanks to great GS handling made original one.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
I am still getting protected on flights when delays might prevent connecting on time. UA 1K line and/or UC agents have generally been great about this, and it gives great comfort to know that this is still in play. Had a major delay to EWR a few weeks ago and it was nearly seamless getting on alternate flight, on a different airline, as there were no flights to protect me on otherwise, other than red-eyes. Even got mileage credited to my UA acct.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 5:39 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Was flying DCA-ORD-NRT-GUM on 21 Jan and was offered proactive protection when my ORD-NRT flight was delayed over 2.5 hrs. I was in the Polaris Lounge and the staff there protected me on the later connection to GUM as well as the following day going ORD-NRT-GUM in the same class of service. Was super impressed at how proactive they were and knew about their work.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 9:55 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
I had kinda' protection recently: I arrived at the airport early, added myself to standby for an early flight - then perchance noticed there was an even earlier (mechanically) delayed flight as I walked past it's gate, where I asked if I could stand by (it wasn't shown on the SDC/standby screens). The GA gave me a confirmed seat, and my original flight was also kept (it wasn't clear when the delayed flight would leave at that time).

Once the plane had been replaced, and it was clear the delayed flight was going to leave, the GA called me to clean up my record (and presumably to verify I was still around). All very professional, and great service IMHO.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Titanium/LT Gold
What good is 1K if they can't protect for IRROPS anymore?

UA505 tonight. Gone MX, Delayed to 2300 - but crew goes illegal at 2300, I.e. "not looking good". In the past UA Club agents have been able to protect me by confirming me on other flights - I was told tonight that was "no longer allowed".

So pardon my frustration after what's going to be about 5 hours of delays - what's the point of 1K? No CPUs, RPUs don't work - and now no use in IRROPS? I hear people talk about even getting silver for "help in IRROPS" - what exactly is this help? If I'm being told to go pound sand as a 1K...

Sorry for the rant. Doubt this 0.7mm will make it to 1MM at this rate.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tcp1
I was told tonight that was "no longer allowed".
They're no longer protecting as a matter of course, but they certainly still can. I think you just got a Club agent who didn't care to help. I'd try calling.

Also, the app will often go into expanded rebooking mode when your itinerary goes MX. That's only useful if you want to confirm alternate arrangements, though, as opposed to getting protection.

Good luck!
Old Jun 16, 2017, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I assume you are referring to UA505, IAD-DEN, which currently shows a 3 hour departure delay "due to a late inbound aircraft arrival", which is likely not accurate.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 7:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As I understand it, agents need a supervisor's approval and that is based on load. Relatively empty flight and protecting is easy. Packed flight and it is not going to happen.

What about the GS who actually wants to SDC to that later flight, but OP is "protected" on it?

Like all of these things, it depends where you sit. If OP wanted to change to the later, e.g. next day's flight and the agent had said "no" but maybe if one of the pax who I've just protected on it makes it out on his delayed flight, we'd hear about how he's jumping ship.

It's just another zero-sum game.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.