Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is IRROPS alternative flight protection still offered? (seems to be a YMMV situation)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2018, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
What is" being protected?"

Protection means have an alternative flight reservation added to your itinerary in case your present flight is cancelled or maybe missed due to irrops. This was a common practice years ago but has become less common recently, appears UA is discouraging it -- but some agents still will do this, status may be a factor.

Note the new alternative flight is just a reservation, so if needed, you will need to work with an agent to get it properly ticketed but space is being held -- that is your protection.

If the protection is not needed (once you have successful completed the original flight), it is a good idea to cancel the protection. First. to release the space for other. Also it cleans up the record. Finally, there is a small chance (if the protect was not done correctly) it could cause cancellation of your later flights. Agents should use "ARUNK" to prevent this, but since it is not common to do protection, that may be forgotten.

Proactive flight protection questions/experiences & importance of "ARUNK"

from the UA FT Glossary
ARUNK/ARNK: Arrive Unknown -- a statement/segment in the itinerary to designate uncertainty of how traveler will arrive at the next departure point. Could be open-jaw, could be irrops or protected alternative. Needed to prevent auto-cancellation of remaining flights in some irrops situations.
Print Wikipost

Is IRROPS alternative flight protection still offered? (seems to be a YMMV situation)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2015, 1:47 pm
dm

Programs: UA MM, DL MM
no protection for me

On a flight last Tuesday (3/3), I was rebooked on a later connecting flight due to the first leg running late. When I asked if she had cancelled the original connection, she told me "Yes, you can only be confirmed on one flight at a time." I remember thinking that sounded like protection on later flights had been done away with. It could just be that she was sure the connection was blown (it was), but her comment seemed to suggest something else.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
United really needs a feedback mechanism on agents, a la DL.

That, however, assumes a level of concern, ability, and technical competency that United has yet to demonstrate. DL lets you rate the agent immediately after the call, records all calls, and problem calls are reviewed.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by channa
United really needs a feedback mechanism on agents, a la DL.

That, however, assumes a level of concern, ability, and technical competency that United has yet to demonstrate. DL lets you rate the agent immediately after the call, records all calls, and problem calls are reviewed.
That is a completely different experience & environment
Old Mar 8, 2015, 3:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
One one hand, "backing up" means duplicate bookings, until the original flight either cancels or is no longer able to get the passenger to its destination. When new routing or flights are chosen, then its no longer backing up.

Protecting when IRROPS is when alternate arrangements are made. Some agents even use the words interchangeably.

If you have ever seen flights "zero out" across the board during IRROPS, this is a result of the backing up and protecting. UA wants to put a body in the seat before that door shuts, and a bunch of backing up adds to long standby lists, upgrade lists, etc. that make it difficult to manage a departure.

Reducing backups could be a good thing in theory. If your flight truly cancels, and you have availability for rebooking the same day rather than the following day, you will appreciate it. But the odds are high that many exceptions would be made because of the ambiguity of situations in IRROPs.

But all of that being said, lets not try to "announce" a new policy that we have heard from a single agent. IRROPS are a grey area for rules.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United GS 2MM,, Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Platinum
I certainly hope that the agent today was misinformed. Or lazy.
It certainly didn't work to our favor today as we decided to switch to the last seats on the later flight, and were told our space on the earlier flight couldn't be held. We actually made it to the earlier flight, admittedly just before they closed the door, but by that point the flight was full. Now burning 6 hours in Houston and planning on little sleep Tonite.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by SAN 1K
I certainly hope that the agent today was misinformed. Or lazy.
It certainly didn't work to our favor today as we decided to switch to the last seats on the later flight, and were told our space on the earlier flight couldn't be held. We actually made it to the earlier flight, admittedly just before they closed the door, but by that point the flight was full. Now burning 6 hours in Houston and planning on little sleep Tonite.
I asked around and heard similar things (from both GS and non GS people) but heard it will be slowly implemented this month (not sure what that means).
Old Mar 8, 2015, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
Protection works fine still. Happened twice last week. They do not cancel your original ticket until either you make your flight or the backup flight. I have had protection pushed twice last week and TBH, it's the only real bennie for me as 1k.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I did it a couple weeks ago and a UC agent who know the game said the trick to avoid later cancellation was to put it at the very end of the itin string. Worked for me.

Last edited by milepig; Mar 8, 2015 at 6:36 pm
Old Mar 8, 2015, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
No More "Backing Up" (protection on a later flight during IRROPs)?

Between my wife and I, have been protected several times in the last 2 or 3 years. Once or twice by the automated system, others by agents themselves. Never a problem.

No offense to OP, but I've heard of this a couple of times over the last couple of years, mostly from folks who didn't get protected on a one-off situation and presuming this to be a "new policy" (as have other one off situations, involving not giving the full soda can, no more pillows in domestic F, etc.). So please forgive me for not believing this is an actual new policy until we've heard more than a one-off report.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA GS, MM, AA (EXP), SPG Platinum, Priority Club, Ambassador Platinum, Global Entry
Appreciated backup just last Friday, 3/6^
Old Mar 8, 2015, 6:45 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Let's mark this one as bad
Old Mar 8, 2015, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM, AA P 2MM, DL PM, US P, VS G, SPG LT P, HH D, HYATT P, PC P, AVIS PC, HERTZ PLAT
I just experienced this change when requesting to be protected because the inbound flight was delayed. The agent said that they changed the policy recently and that they can no longer book duplicates. She attempted to find another way to do it, however she could not get the record on end with both flights.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 7:52 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
FWIW I was speaking to the 1K desk the other day about a colleague arriving late and likely missing their connection.

Even though the system had protected them on a flight leaving the next day, I had asked to change the protection to an earlier flight which there were seats.

Was told that according to a recent memo they couldn't do this, so I opted to have them change the reservation for the desired flight with no protection.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 7:14 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Confirmed!

My flight last night went on mechanical and so did the next departure. I called the GS desk asking to be protected on the next morning flight. The agent refused to help me as my ticket showed used as I was on the plane. She said after I got off the plane which was one hour plus into the mechanical I could call and ask to be "protected". That's not protection. The value of any UA status has again declined. My buddy who is with me is on the phone with AA right now getting a status match.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
My flight last night went on mechanical and so did the next departure. I called the GS desk asking to be protected on the next morning flight. The agent refused to help me as my ticket showed used as I was on the plane. She said after I got off the plane which was one hour plus into the mechanical I could call and ask to be "protected". That's not protection. The value of any UA status has again declined. My buddy who is with me is on the phone with AA right now getting a status match.
Sad. I remember late last year when the engine failed while we were taking off. I called the desk and they protected me on the next flight (took the last seat out) but told me that they need to offload me before they can print a new BP. It took about 45 minutes to get back to the gate.

Now that will no longer be possible until they offload me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.