Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2016, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2016, 11:19 am

Programs: UA Gold 1mm, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Ice chest as checked baggage

Will I be able to baggage check an ice chest as long as it is under the 62" dimension? The chest would contain only clothing and camping items: no ice.
The chest does not have a latch. Should I tape it shut or secure otherwise. Thanks
Old Sep 25, 2016, 11:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by mgmsteven
Will I be able to baggage check an ice chest as long as it is under the 62" dimension? The chest would contain only clothing and camping items: no ice.
I see no reason why not. It should be the same as checking a box.

The chest does not have a latch. Should I tape it shut or secure otherwise.
I'd recommend duct tape.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 11:48 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The chest does not have a latch. Should I tape it shut or secure otherwise. Thanks
Yes, if it meets the dimensions limits and is made of appropriate materials that can handle, you can but it must be securely closed / sealed. No different than checking any container.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 1:22 pm
formerly known as ravishah

Hello - quick one looks like I will be flying united from LHR-ORD in Nov in business. I think the plane will be 767-300 - trying to work out will be it the 3 class version?

Actually flight out is on 12th Nov at 15:25 from LHR and back is on 17th Nov at 18:00 from ORD.

Thanks - will then help me find the right seat thread.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rollingdeep
Hello - quick one looks like I will be flying united from LHR-ORD in Nov in business. I think the plane will be 767-300 - trying to work out will be it the 3 class version? ...
Go to your reservation and look at the seatmap -- that is the best source of an answer. If you don't have a reservation, start a dummy booking and look at the seatmap. Your need to seatmap to tell you what your options are.

Believe it will be the 763 3-class, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...rnational.html
Old Sep 25, 2016, 2:47 pm
formerly known as ravishah

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Go to your reservation and look at the seatmap -- that is the best source of an answer. If you don't have a reservation, start a dummy booking and look at the seatmap. Your need to seatmap to tell you what your options are.

Believe it will be the 763 3-class, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...rnational.html
thanks - our work system doesn't let you see a seatmap. But I did a dummy booking for the same flights on the website which helped.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA 1k
I received a CPU upgrade from ogg-sfo-lax and would like to do a same day travel change - is there any way I can keep my upgrade I.e make sure when I change my flight I keep my upgraded seat ?
Old Sep 25, 2016, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by Maximilion
I received a CPU upgrade from ogg-sfo-lax and would like to do a same day travel change - is there any way I can keep my upgrade I.e make sure when I change my flight I keep my upgraded seat ?
Generally no -- CPU is filght depend and CPU allows you to change at your paid fare level and then re-waitlist for the CPU. Occasional an agent will look and figure you will end up clearing such as a high fare class / 1K / GS and go ahead & do it -- but should not expect that to happen.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Assuming I meet the fare criteria

If I make a flight from IAD-BOM wiht the following:

IAD-FRA - United
FRA-BOM - Lufthansa

If I apply a GPU, will it count for both flights? Do I need 2? one for each leg, even though if I flew the whole way on one United I would supposedly only need one?

I think, if I read it right, if I flew:
IAD-FRA - Lufthansa
FRA-BOM - Lufthansa

I would then need 2 because they are only good for one segment, not a single one way journey.

I guess my real question is if I start on United and apply a GPU that is good for an entire one way journey, does that carry over to Lufthansa or do they need a separate one no matter what?
Old Sep 25, 2016, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Does not carry over.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
.... I guess my real question is if I start on United and apply a GPU that is good for an entire one way journey, does that carry over to Lufthansa or do they need a separate one no matter what?
Each LH segment requires its own individual GPU. Same for NH.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...lectronic.html

Old Sep 26, 2016, 1:18 pm

Can I buy miles with United voucher obtained on an overbooked flight?

Old Sep 26, 2016, 1:25 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by supertester
No-travel vouchers can only be used toward the purchase of flights on United/United Express operated flights
Old Sep 26, 2016, 8:56 pm

I had/have a roundtrip ticket IAH-EWR leaving late September and returning early October. I had to return to Houston for a funeral (unexpectedly obviously). My EWR-IAH ticket earlier this week was on AA, but I booked my IAH-EWR return from the funeral ticket for tomorrow. A longtime UA flyer told me that could consider bad and a form of nesting. Should I be concerned? I have proof of the funeral and that I was a pallbearer. I do not want to lose my status or miles.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 9:07 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Prestor John
My EWR-IAH ticket earlier this week was on AA, but I booked my IAH-EWR return from the funeral ticket for tomorrow. A longtime UA flyer told me that could consider bad and a form of nesting.
If separate tickets on different airlines (as I read it) a total non event. They won't even know about it.

If AA for both flights, not a UA question

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.