Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2016, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2016, 11:49 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Tripdiculous
Just got over the hump for PQD for Gold, however i have a flight in a few hours and i am still silver on the website and app. I called yesterday and they said within 24hrs it should turn over to Gold. It's been about 24hrs now. I need the extra baggage (2x70lb) allowance for this trip, should i call again and see if they can push it through? Or will i show up on the system at the airport even though it doesnt show online?
Have the PQDs actually posted to your account? Nothing will happen until the flight posts.

Normally the advice would be to wait it out but in your case, perhaps calling MileagePlus Service Center (not Reservations) and asking for help might work.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 12:56 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Are there any lounges I can use in BRU or LIS? These are both homes to *A carriers, but the UA website says there are no lounges available at either airport...
Haven't been to LIS, but I can tell you I went to a lounge in BRU (don't recall which one). This was as *A Gold and on Biz ticket.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Are there any lounges I can use in BRU or LIS? These are both homes to *A carriers, but the UA website says there are no lounges available at either airport...
When interested in *A lounge options the best site to use is *A Lounger Finder. Believe the UA site also points you to the same link.
There appears to be a second link also.

Access will depend on your status, your fare class or your airline club membership.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 24, 2016 at 2:20 pm Reason: second link
Old Aug 24, 2016, 4:37 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
BRU actually has two lounges now: The Loft on Schengen side, The Suite on non-Schengen, there's a thread about them (primarily about The Loft since The Suite is very new):
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufth...er-lounge.html

Food in The Loft is quite nice IMHO.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jsloan
I consistently hear on-board announcements inviting you to speak to a flight attendant to purchase an available E+ seat. I'm not sure I've ever seen it done, but it seems that UA is set up for it.
I've lost lie-flat Y due to a pair of buyers just before the door closed once.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 11:43 am

United International Upgrade Policy - No Waitlist

I am flying on a 3 class international 777 from SFO to Auckland in November where at this time no first class tickets have been sold. If no one in business decides to use miles or upgrade certificates, do these seats go unused? Do the domestic upgrade policies start taking effect for those in business? Are operational upgrades in effect?

I am a 1k member but using an upgrade certificate to sit in business. Oh yea, and this trip will be for my honeymoon as well. Have any 1ks out there heard of any sort of special treatment for big celebrations? (i.e. meet and greet with pilot, small gift, etc?)
Old Aug 25, 2016, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jumpdolph
I am flying on a 3 class international 777 from SFO to Auckland in November where at this time no first class tickets have been sold. If no one in business decides to use miles or upgrade certificates, do these seats go unused? Do the domestic upgrade policies start taking effect for those in business? Are operational upgrades in effect?
If no one buys or upgrades to F, then yes UA is willing to let the seats go out empty. They will not CPU, and only op-up if J is oversold.

More likely, 8 NRSA will clear off standby into GF if it's still empty though.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 11:56 am

Welcome to FT!, jumpdolph

I am flying on a 3 class international 777 from SFO to Auckland in November where at this time no first class tickets have been sold. If no one in business decides to use miles or upgrade certificates, do these seats go unused? .
no complimentary upgrades between BF to GF.

Do the domestic upgrade policies start taking effect for those in business? ...
No
Are operational upgrades in effect? ...
Only if BF is oversold, which is rare.

I am a 1k member but using an upgrade certificate to sit in business. ...
If any Op-up, the paid BF will be first. BF upgraders will be last.

If any on the flight, employees on personal travel are moved up to GF/BF after all the upgraders and overselss are accommodated.

Oh yea, and this trip will be for my honeymoon as well. Have any 1ks out there heard of any sort of special treatment for big celebrations? (i.e. meet and greet with pilot, small gift, etc?)
With almost 300 passengers, nearly every flight likely has other passengers with special circumstance (honeymoon, wedding anniversary, birthdays, achieving MM, ...). Honeymoon upgrades are mostly an urban myth (with a very, very occasional good luck -- far from a common experience.
You can ask for a cockpit visit but realize the pilots are actually busy -- but it is the PICs discretion while the doors are open.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 2:51 pm

Haven't been able to search the answer to this. If I book a partner award using M+ miles and later make a change to that award to fly on United metal, what kind of fees would I be subject to? Let's say I booked today for a partner award at 80k miles departing in six months, and then changed my award to fly on United within the 21 day close-in window. Would I pay the close-in change fee and a redeposit fee since the new award would be 70k miles or would they generally redeposit free of charge?
Old Aug 25, 2016, 2:56 pm

I'm trying to book an award ticket from new york to tokyo and then to china. I'm able to see business/first saver ticket if I only choose one adult, but I can't see the same ticket if I choose 2 adults. Do I have to book separately? If I book through the call center, will I get a better chance to book 2 award tickets together at business/first saver price?
Old Aug 25, 2016, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by a1bunny
I'm trying to book an award ticket from new york to tokyo and then to china. I'm able to see business/first saver ticket if I only choose one adult, but I can't see the same ticket if I choose 2 adults. Do I have to book separately? If I book through the call center, will I get a better chance to book 2 award tickets together at business/first saver price?
If you don't see the itinerary when you select two adults, it means that there is currently only one award seat available on that flight. You can book one traveler now and hope that a second seat opens up in the future, but you should prepare for the possibility that it might not.

Calling will not make any difference.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 3:03 pm

Most likely that means there is only 1 business award available. If you book separately you would get 1 business award and 1 economy award. On the economy award you could waitlist for business.

What would be useful to know is which segments only have 1 space available and which might have 2 or more spaces available. You can do this your self by learning Expert Mode (if you are a person that likes to get into the details) or calling and asking.

Calling is also useful to see what the agent can find - their search tools are different and at times may find a better alternative routing.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
If you don't see the itinerary when you select two adults, it means that there is currently only one award seat available on that flight. You can book one traveler now and hope that a second seat opens up in the future, but you should prepare for the possibility that it might not.

Calling will not make any difference.
If I book economy now, is it possible to change to business/first later when the tickets are available?

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Most likely that means there is only 1 business award available. If you book separately you would get 1 business award and 1 economy award. On the economy award you could waitlist for business.

What would be useful to know is which segments only have 1 space available and which might have 2 or more spaces available. You can do this your self by learning Expert Mode (if you are a person that likes to get into the details) or calling and asking.

Calling is also useful to see what the agent can find - their search tools are different and at times may find a better alternative routing.
Thank you very much, I have selected expert mode in my preference setting. But I can't see the tickets class. Do I have to switch to paid ticket instead of award ticket?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 25, 2016 at 3:56 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 25, 2016, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Thank you very much, I have selected expert mode in my preference setting. But I can't see the tickets class. Do I have to switch to paid ticket instead of award ticket?
Yes, right now Expert Mode is broken for award searches. It's very unfortunate.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I book economy now, is it possible to change to business/first later when the tickets are available?
Yes; and, as another poster mentioned, if you're flying on a United flight, you can waitlist for business. (You cannot waitlist on partner flights).

Depending upon your status, there may be a fee to make the change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.