Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Access / reviews for TK's IAD *A lounge

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2016, 7:31 am

Programs: United Platinum, AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
No need to reclear security - but you do need to take either the train or the people movers to terminal a/b (it's apparently in B). I would give 20 minutes each way.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 7:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by belfordrocks
Given that IAD isn't a big station for TK at all, would they possibly consider the quality or lack thereof of UA lounges as a reason to build one here, possibly looking to get revenue from UA?
I see it more as a pride issue, making sure they have a lounge in the capital gateway. I doubt the hours will be extensive unless they score some contracts to support OALs along the way.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 7:47 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by aacharya
Okay - I'll bite. I pass through IAD a lot (now that PHL-IAD was upgraded). How far is the walk and does one need to reclear security?
If your UX lands at one of A1-A6 gates, the walking time is between 5 and 10 min (took me 7 min to LH lounge with above-average speed). If your UX lands at any of the C gates and D gates, 20-30 min is the range for taking the train to Terminal B and then walking to either TK or LH lounge.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 7:52 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Do not get too excited before the operation hours are known!

The TK flight leaves IAD at 11:05 pm. If the operation hours are limited and coincide with the TK flight, very few UA *G members can take advantage of this lounge.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by sbm12
I see it more as a pride issue, making sure they have a lounge in the capital gateway. I doubt the hours will be extensive unless they score some contracts to support OALs along the way.
Yes, this will be the key. If it is only open for TK flights, those will be limited hours for other drop-by usage.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kmxu
If your UX lands at one of A1-A6 gates, the walking time is between 5 and 10 min (took me 7 min to LH lounge with above-average speed). If your UX lands at any of the C gates and D gates, 20-30 min is the range for taking the train to Terminal B and then walking to either TK or LH lounge.
If coming from D you can also take the moon buggies that go from D to A and then it's about a 5-10 minute walk. I did this when I landed early and had an unexpectedly long layover on AUS - IAD - RDU at the end of July (arrival and departure flights were out of D).

Alternatively if you fly ex-IAD you can take the train from the start just one stop to B and then LH is literally at the top of the escalator just across the hallway.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 8:10 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
The TK flight leaves IAD at 11:05 pm. If the operation hours are limited and coincide with the TK flight, very few UA *G members can take advantage of this lounge.
They also have flights at 1PM on some days, and 9-1 would be far more useful hours.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 8:17 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
If you take the train/tram to IAD B turn right at the top of the escalators.
The LH lounge will be on your left, just past the BA lounge.

Last edited by Billiken; Aug 12, 2016 at 8:28 am
Old Aug 12, 2016, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the LH lounge takes a hefty bit of traffic from NH flight(s?). It might be that TK will consider this. Of course, it might not be, too.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 10:47 am

Programs: UAL 1KMM,Hilton Diamond
I connect a lot through the UX gates in A. Recently learned that I could use the LH Senator lounge. It's a blessing. Much better free booze than the United Clubs.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by Duke787
If coming from D you can also take the moon buggies that go from D to A and then it's about a 5-10 minute walk. I did this when I landed early and had an unexpectedly long layover on AUS - IAD - RDU at the end of July (arrival and departure flights were out of D).

Alternatively if you fly ex-IAD you can take the train from the start just one stop to B and then LH is literally at the top of the escalator just across the hallway.
Or flying ex-IAD, there is a walkway from the main terminal to A/B. When I get there early, I will often walk to the LH lounge to get some better food and beverage, then if flying UA out of C/D, take the train (which is practically across from the LH lounges) to C/D. I often skip the UA lounges entirely (or just use them to pick up a paper and a soda or coffee).
Old Aug 12, 2016, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I have a couple of thoughts on this:

- I'd bet it will not be nearly on par with the IST lounge, if everyone is thinking that - sure, better than the UA club, but I'd guess nothing like the size/variety of food - but if they made fresh pide in there, I'd be there in a second

- Assuming it'll only be open at hours meant to serve the TK flight (unless they'll do some business as a contract lounge for other international carriers), which I'm guessing, based on TK departures for other east coast North American TK gateways, is a very late evening departure - so I'd guess it'll only be open in the evenings.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 8:57 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Depending on how early in the evening it opens, it could be useful for those on the late-night international flights. Or the later domestic ones (DEN, SFO, a few others? I know I've been there well past 9pm for both before.) Even better, the late banks of United Express out of A; although I haven't had the misfortune to fly those in a while, there used to be a lot of 10pm+ regional departures.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder if TK is thinking about serving other non-UA *A carriers' passengers. I wonder how much money they get per OA passenger? There are quite a few *A carriers on that concourse.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by username
I wonder if TK is thinking about serving other non-UA *A carriers' passengers. I wonder how much money they get per OA passenger? There are quite a few *A carriers on that concourse.
I have the same thought as well.

OS, LX and SN will continue to use LH lounge since they are all part of LH Group. There are SK, NH, CA, AC and others will have options.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.