Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Overhearing conversation with an oversold flight....

Old Jul 28, 2016, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP

I'm in the SFO UC (by the 60's gate). A customer is trying to keep his cool as he is being told that his paid F seat to IAD isn't available due to a downsizing of aircraft.

(Mind you - I am only privy to what I hear. Don't know fare basis, etc).

The UC agent keeps on saying "they will have to help you at the gate."

The passenger noted that the flight isn't for 4 hours, and he asked the agent if there is something that can be done now so he doesn't have to sit at the gate to understand his fate.

I'm always annoyed when an airline says "they" rather than "we." And in this case, where we are talking about a paid F pax who is being downgraded on a transcontinental, UA should be doing backflips to help.

Ok, now, as I finish writing, the agent seems to be doing some legwork.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 3:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Where do people get off insisting on actually getting what they paid for...
Old Jul 28, 2016, 3:24 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
I think rightfully so, especially if it's a full F paid $ ticket...

Sounds like it went from a 5 row to 4 row F class 738?

ps. what would he be doing at the club 4 hours early for such a flight, in paid F? And given that there's a sooner flight 1 hour before that one?

Sounds like they need to downgrade one of the upgraded people:

Last edited by TA; Jul 28, 2016 at 3:30 pm
Old Jul 28, 2016, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 11:25 am Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old Jul 28, 2016, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by TA
ps. what would he be doing at the club 4 hours early for such a flight, in paid F? And given that there's a sooner flight 1 hour before that one?
I can't speak for him but I will often do work in the club and/or possibly have a scheduled call before my flight and it is easier to accomplish once through security and at the club than elsewhere.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 3:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by zrs70
... Ok, now, as I finish writing, the agent seems to be doing some legwork.
And the rest of the story ......
Old Jul 28, 2016, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
And the rest of the story ......
I had to leave to get my own flight!
Old Jul 28, 2016, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Wasn't there something like GG: Downgrade the spelled out the rules. I assume the PAX will be accomadated by either a change in flight, F Clearing on existing or a monetary offer. Good luck to the PAX they did the right thing by talking up now.. As to the 4 hours before.. Not strange to me, I do it all the time..

Last edited by Flying Machine; Jul 28, 2016 at 4:22 pm
Old Jul 28, 2016, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by DawgmanOH
I can't speak for him but I will often do work in the club and/or possibly have a scheduled call before my flight and it is easier to accomplish once through security and at the club than elsewhere.
+1!
Old Jul 28, 2016, 4:21 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by TA
what would he be doing at the club 4 hours early for such a flight, in paid F?
Long connection?
Old Jul 28, 2016, 4:27 pm

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by zrs70
I'm in the SFO UC (by the 60's gate). A customer is trying to keep his cool as he is being told that his paid F seat to IAD isn't available due to a downsizing of aircraft.

The UC agent keeps on saying "they will have to help you at the gate."
I think the "only the gate can help you" is the part that gets me. I had a recent series of cancelled ATL-ORD flights and only 1 flight was going out. There was a crazy long line of several cancelled flights worth of people trying to get rescheduled on a later date. There was 1 flight going out and I wanted to be added to the waitlist knowing I'd be near the top of the list and therefore have a shot of getting on. I tried calling UA to see about getting added and was told by 3 separate agents that this had to be done at the gate. Given the long line, I went down to the UA Club and tried to get them to do it - no dice. Had to wait to get added - almost missed getting on the flight as the line was too long.

#FlyerFriendly
Old Jul 28, 2016, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA Plat Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond

Connection? Work? Private reasons?
Does it really matter?
Old Jul 28, 2016, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by uber1K_Flyer
I think the "only the gate can help you" is the part that gets me.
Right. Isn't that 98% of the reason to have a Club membership?
Old Jul 28, 2016, 6:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by uber1K_Flyer
I think the "only the gate can help you" is the part that gets me. ....
If UA has locked the flight, “under airport control”, then only the "authorized" GA can handle the seat assignments. Not uncommon for a downsized flight. A case of too many messing with the reseating process will lead to a further messed up situation.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Used to be (PMUA) club agent would call down to gate and/or service director to access gate-controlled flights for seating/upgrades etc. I guess that went the way of the dodo bird post merger.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.