F Pax not allowed to use FC lav??

Old Jul 28, 2016, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

F Pax not allowed to use FC lav??

I was on a 739 this past week and passengers were not allowed to use the FC lav. Only the crew was using. All passengers were sent back to the economy cabin.

Is the crew allowed to block off the lav for only their use?
Old Jul 28, 2016, 12:32 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Was this for the entire duration of the flight?
Old Jul 28, 2016, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Entire duration of the flight. Lav was operable.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
What route?
Old Jul 28, 2016, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA GS
That would be a good one to write in about
Old Jul 28, 2016, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
It has been my experience that whenever the door to the flight deck is open the FAs block the passage to the forward FC lav. Once the crew has finished with the lav and returned to the flight deck (or getting their meals delivered or whatever) and locked the door the FAs re-open the passage.
But not for the entire flight.

Last edited by 8MiHi; Jul 28, 2016 at 1:08 pm
Old Jul 28, 2016, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
What route?
MSY-LAX
Old Jul 28, 2016, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Is it possible that the Flight Deck door wasn't locking properly?
Old Jul 28, 2016, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 8MiHi
It has been my experience that whenever the door to the flight deck is open the FAs block the passage to the forward FC lav. Once the crew has finished with the lav and returned to the flight deck (or getting their meals delivered or whatever) and locked the door the FAs re-open the passage.
You've stated the norm. Please Reread posts 1 & 3. Was able to use it prior to pushback.

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Is it possible that the Flight Deck door wasn't locking properly?
Plane wouldn't have flown if that were the case.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 28, 2016 at 2:38 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote
Old Jul 28, 2016, 1:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
For safety and security, including operational reasons, the Captain and via the Captain the rest of the crew may, of course, limit access.

But, this is odd and, if a reason was not provided to you when you asked the FA why access was limited, I would send a note to UA noting that you were seated in F (I presume that you were although you do not say that you were), that this was a long flight and that access was prohibited for the entire flight without any specific announcement.

You won't receive a satisfactory answer, but it may cause an inquiry to be sent through.

I do suspect that there was some decent reason because it is the sort of thing which does generate complaints and the crew know it.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 2:23 pm

The lavatory may have been inoperative due to items on the MEL. I believe that some items that render the lavatory inoperative for customers do allow for crew member use.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by scottpenderson
The lavatory may have been inoperative due to items on the MEL. I believe that some items that render the lavatory inoperative for customers do allow for crew member use.
This would be my read, too. It is possible for there to be something mechanically defective in the lav which means pax are not allowed to use it. If crew *are* still allowed, probably better for them to use that one vs. tying up a passenger lav.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 2:46 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
There are MEL items on the 737 that make a Lav "crew use only".

The one that I had was the access panel under the sink not latching in place. Everything worked but that panel stayed partially open. That particular airplane had a mid-lav so at least the inconvenience was minor for the FC passengers.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 2:46 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
Plane wouldn't have flown if that were the case.
Are you certain?

As I read it, they can fly home (well, 2 days) if the primary lock fails but the secondary works as long as they follow some procedure to secure the cabin in this event.

Per http://fsims.faa.gov/PICDetail.aspx?docId=PL-112
(M)(O) May be inoperative provided:

a) Primary locking system is deactivated,
b) Secondary locking system operates normally and is used to lock the door,
c) Alternate procedures are established and used for locking and unlocking the door using the secondary locking system, and
d) Repairs are made within two flight days
I could certainly see blocking access to be part of such procedures to insure pax are not standing outside as it is opened (I freely admit I do not know how the entire dance works, so am just guessing).
Old Jul 28, 2016, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scottpenderson
Originally Posted by LarryJ
There are MEL items on the 737 that make a Lav "crew use only".

The one that I had was the access panel under the sink not latching in place. Everything worked but that panel stayed partially open. That particular airplane had a mid-lav so at least the inconvenience was minor for the FC passengers.
I used the lav pre-pushback. Everything seemed in good order, but then, I'm not a lav mechanic.

Mid-flight, I used the lav at the front of the economy cabin. Boy, that thing is claustrophobic!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.