Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Should I spend $190 to gain Silver status before flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2016, 9:07 am
Original Poster

I have a flight coming up to London out of Newark in the next few weeks. I have everything I need for Silver status but the PQS. I can purchase one PQS for $190 to get me to silver for the flight out. Is it worth paying to get to silver before my flight. I was hoping to gain priority baggage and free economy plus.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
How much is it to buy E+ outright? That will earn PQD, too. Priority baggage is not worth paying anything for IMO - your bag doesn't even always come out first.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by findark
How much is it to buy E+ outright? That will earn PQD, too. Priority baggage is not worth paying anything for IMO - your bag doesn't even always come out first.
It's about $145-160 depending on the seat.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by letsbeadventurers
It's about $145-160 depending on the seat.
Seems that it's not worth spending $190 to get a $160 seat unless you also are relying on the free luggage. Then it's $190 to get $185 of value - as well as the 2 RDM bonus per PQD.

Maybe call the MPSC and ask for a bump to Silver in advance?
Old Jul 19, 2016, 9:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I would just buy E+. If you rely on Silver, you run the risk there are no good E+ seats left at T-24. Then the flight will push you over for the return.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
I would just buy E+. If you rely on Silver, you run the risk there are no good E+ seats left at T-24. Then the flight will push you over for the return.
Or just fly really quickly to Chicago for $157. This is less than the seat, but to kacee's point, might not be the best seat.

http://goo.gl/flights/zsU1
Old Jul 19, 2016, 10:45 am

I'd personally just buy E+, since that way you get to choose your seat before the window when Silvers get E+.

However, if it's not a lot of hassle and you're willing to take the gamble and see what E+ seats are left, then it's not too much more money to get the extra segment (and you get some extra PQD/RDM from that as well). If it's inconvenient to take the extra flight, then IMO it's not worth it.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 10:51 am

I disagree with the people who say the buy the E+. Keep in mind your mileage earning will jump from 5x to 7x. When checking in you can use the premier line which has usually saved me time. If problems arise you get to use the premier line at the customer service desk (has saved me significant time), and if calling in you reach the premier desk.

As others have said though you run the risk of there not being any E+ seats. I guess it really depends on how much it will hurt your experience sitting in normal coach. You could also start looking at the seat map of the flight daily to get a good idea of how much E+ availability there is. I can't comment on Europe but I've flown to and From Brazil a few times as a Silver and never had any problems get an Economy plus seat at checkin
Old Jul 19, 2016, 11:15 am

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
You should already get one 50lb bag on that route, and the priority tag is only for golds and up. It's a close call, but I'd lean toward just buying E+ for the outbound.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by PVDProf
You should already get one 50lb bag on that route, and the priority tag is only for golds and up. It's a close call, but I'd lean toward just buying E+ for the outbound.
I've always gotten a priority tag as a silver.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Coskigirl
According to the MP Premier page, Silver is supposed to get priority bag handling. Not sure if that was a recent change or if it's been that way for a while (and maybe people are getting confused because *A Silver doesn't get priority baggage on UA but *A Gold does).

Which is good for me - at the rate I'm flying this year, the only status I have come next year will be MP Silver (assuming the Marriott Platinum/United Silver promo lasts into 2017)...
Old Jul 19, 2016, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold
I've been Silver for a couple years, always had it.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Same. It only rarely ever helps my bag come out faster though.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by aacharya
Seems that it's not worth spending $190 to get a $160 seat unless you also are relying on the free luggage. Then it's $190 to get $185 of value - as well as the 2 RDM bonus per PQD.

Maybe call the MPSC and ask for a bump to Silver in advance?
Definitely not worth it. You're much better off just spending the $160 now and getting the exact E+ seat you want, (vs paying $190 for silver and getting what's left at T-24).
Old Jul 19, 2016, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
I've been Silver for a couple years, always had it.
Oh, this is a new (since 2005) feature! I was drawing on outdated experience. Just have a vivid memory several years ago of a Gold colleague getting his bags out first and waiting awkwardly for mine, without the shiny orange flag, because I was a lowly silver.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.