Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Istanbul Civil Unrest UA travel waiver July 15 – July 22, 2016

Old Jul 15, 2016, 6:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

Istanbul Civil Unrest

Airports:
Adana, Turkey (ADA)
Ankara, Turkey (ESB)
Antalya, Turkey (AYT)
Bodrum, Turkey (BJV)
Dalaman, Turkey (DLM)
Gazipasa, Turkey (GZP)
Istanbul, Turkey – Ataturk Airport (IST)
Istanbul, Turkey – Sabiha Gokcen Airport (SAW)
Izmir, Turkey (ADB)

​​​​

Original travel date(s): July 15 – July 22, 2016

Flight changes:
The change fee will be waived for new flights departing on or before September 30, 2016, as long as travel is rescheduled in the same fare class and between the same cities as originally ticketed. The originally scheduled carriers must be used.

For wholly rescheduled travel departing after September 30, 2016, or for a change in departure or destination city, the change fee will be waived, but a difference in fare may apply. Rescheduled travel must be completed within one year from the date when the ticket was issued.

Please contact the United Customer Contact Center to make any changes to your travel plans.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 15, 2016 at 8:17 pm Reason: link
Old Jul 15, 2016, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Per standard guidelines, this thread is for discussion of the UA travel waiver and assisting those seeking help / advice related to their IST travel. Since UA does not fly into IST or any other Turkey airports, the situation will also be dependent on partner airline policies.

For general discussion on the Turkey and IST airport situation, please use
Attempted Military Coup in Turkey (July 15, 2016) ...
(TK forum)
the wiki has additional information links

Military Coup in Turkey? OMNI/PR forum

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 15, 2016 at 6:22 pm
Old Jul 15, 2016, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Wonder how that would work if TK was the airline you were flying on...you would almost certainly be traveling to / transiting through IST.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 15, 2016 at 8:14 pm Reason: cleanup after move
Old Jul 15, 2016, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Wonder how that would work if TK was the airline you were flying on...you would almost certainly be traveling to / transiting through IST.
So now I know UA doesn't fly to Turkey but what would happen if a partner issued a travel wavier on an itin where the initial flight was on UA? Would UA honor the wavier for their segment?
Old Jul 16, 2016, 9:06 am

Award tickets changes booked on Turkish ?

I have an award ticket booked on Turkish from IST-JFK next week, but there is no other award availability showing on United for the same day.

Does anyone know what United'S policy is on changing award tickets im such a situation, if there's no other award availability?

I would call United but their Indian call centre has proven to be very incompetent in the past, unless I guide them through everything.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 9:14 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
What is the problem/what are you trying to do?
Old Jul 16, 2016, 9:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mkt80
I have an award ticket booked on Turkish from IST-JFK next week, but there is no other award availability showing on United for the same day.
It's not clear what you're asking. Under the current circumstances, I'm sure UA will work with you to make alternate arrangements, or issue a refund at no charge, but they cannot open award availability on other airlines.

You might check this thread - Attempted Military Coup Turkey July 15, 2016 - for updates on status of IST and TK flights.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 10:27 am

Sorry for the lack of clarification. I'm interested in changing my flight but at this time there is no other award availability. I think my question had been answered that nothing can be done at this time aside from changing my dates or requesting a refund.

Would anyone know what United'S policy is if my flight were to get cancelled? Would I be rebooked on the next available award flight, any available united flight, or simply have my miles refunded?
Old Jul 16, 2016, 10:38 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Would anyone know what United'S policy is if my flight were to get cancelled? Would I be rebooked on the next available award flight, any available united flight, or simply have my miles refunded?
On day of departure, it is technically TK's obligation to rebook you, but that is not going to be a good option right now in light of the circumstances.

As I suspect you know, TK is currently effectively banned from flying to the US, so your flight will almost certainly be cancelled.

I would suggest you call UA and see what they can do for you. They are going to be 100% flexible in terms of rebooking (subject to availability), cancellation, etc. (and if you get an agent who suggests otherwise, politely hang up and call again). If you can find a partner flight to a city from which UA flies (either Europe or Asia), UA can then open award space on its own metal to bring you the rest of the way home.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 10:47 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kacee

As I suspect you know, TK is currently effectively banned from flying to the US, so your flight will almost certainly be cancelled.
I am not aware of this ban. Can you provide more detail.

I am currently booked (award) on TK on Jul.20, ATH-IST-ORD, then ORD-IAD on UA.

If TK cannot fly to the US, then I will need change change or cancel and rebook (more options available when I used book award travel rather than change current award reservation).
Old Jul 16, 2016, 10:53 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
United has posted the following policy:

Flight changes:

The change fee will be waived for new flights departing on or before September 30, 2016, as long as travel is rescheduled in the same fare class and between the same cities as originally ticketed. The originally scheduled carriers must be used.

For wholly rescheduled travel departing after September 30, 2016, or for a change in departure or destination city, the change fee will be waived, but a difference in fare may apply. Rescheduled travel must be completed within one year from the date when the ticket was issued.

Please contact the United Customer Contact Center to make any changes to your travel plans.

Unfortunately they don't fly there themselves and can't force others to make space available. I suspect TK will be back to normal soon.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 10:57 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
I wonder why Turkey gets a flight waiver until only July 22 for this major issue, while Nice gets until July 31...
Old Jul 16, 2016, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Does anyone know what United'S policy is on changing award tickets im such a situation, if there's no other award availability? ....
Hope all is well and understand this is a difficult situation.

UA has issued a waiver but award tickets represent special issues.
Beside that IST and most/all Turkey's commercial airports are presently closed, UA does not fly to any airports in Turkey. (Update -- IST is apparently re-opened but many flights have been cancelled) -- see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turki...15-2016-a.html for more updates and TK travel waiver)

UA's waiver will remove change fees but the lack of partner award space will be the issue. It will be up to TK, not UA, to provide more space and suspect space will be very tight once the airports re-open. UA can not force / demand TK or any other partner provide award space.

If the flight is cancelled you will be able to request a refund or re-book when space is available.

Also, in these case, UA will likely offer to refund the ticket if you have to find alternative arrangements.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 16, 2016 at 11:16 am Reason: Update
Old Jul 16, 2016, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CIT85
I am not aware of this ban. Can you provide more detail....
The following link is the master FT thread on IST and Turkey sitaution, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turki...15-2016-a.html

Originally Posted by TA
I wonder why Turkey gets a flight waiver until only July 22 for this major issue, while Nice gets until July 31...
I suspect both of these dates will change as the situation unfolds. That has occurred with previous events and would not try to read anything into this.

Note the Turkey/IST waiver also covers travel beyond July 22.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 16, 2016 at 11:09 am Reason: self-merge
Old Jul 16, 2016, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by CIT85
I am not aware of this ban. Can you provide more detail.
The FAA has banned all inbound flights from Turkey. This effectively bans TK from flying to the US.

US Embassy Security Notice

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.