Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO-AKL JV w/NZ, all year UA metal, 77W Nov18-Mar19, 772 Apr19-Oct19 (+newORD-AKL NZ)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 1, 2016, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IBJoel
27 March 2018
Air New Zealand service between Auckland and Chicago

From Nov. 30, 2018, Air New Zealand will operate three times weekly, year-round service with its new configuration Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft. Flight time will be approximately 15 hours northbound and just over 16 hours southbound. Air New Zealand code share service will be offered on around 100 flights across the U.S. for convenient connections to Auckland via Chicago. United Airlines operates more flights from its hub at O'Hare International Airport than any other airline, with more than 500 flights to 147 airports across the United States.

United expands service between San Francisco and Auckland

Beginning in April 2019, United will extend service between its West Coast hub in San Francisco and Auckland to year-round with three-times-weekly service. In partnership with Air New Zealand, United's flight arriving in Auckland will offer passengers more than 20 connections across the region. The return trip utilizes United's extensive route network in San Francisco, which provides connections to the United States, Canada, and Latin America. United operates more than 290 daily flights from its hub at San Francisco International Airport to 79 airports across the U.S. and 26 international destinations. Tickets for the expanded San Francisco schedule will be available on united.com and airnewzealand.com later this year.

United service between San Francisco and Auckland will operate with a Boeing 777-300ER between November and March and will operate with Boeing 777-200ER aircraft between April and October.
Originally Posted by jimyvr
UA will now fly the 77W on SFO AKL when it resumes operation 29OCT17 - 22MAR18 (from SFO). Overall frequency will be 6 weekly, and increasing to 7 weekly from mid-Dec. UA73/74 is canceled.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/...as-of-01sep17/
United Airlines suspends NZ service (Suspension Period: April 18, 2017 - October 30, 2017)

Per New Zealand Herald quoting UA:

This change is in response to seasonal variations, which will also see United Airlines adding an additional three flights per week starting December 18, 2017 after resuming its daily Auckland to San Francisco services on October 31, 2017. This will increase services to a total of 10 United's flights per week during the high seasonal demand period. Passengers who have already purchased tickets during the suspended period are being contacted by the airline and offered flights on the Air New Zealand service instead. We apologise to customers for any inconvenience and advise that customers will not be out of pocket as a result of this shift in scheduling and will retain all frequent flyer benefits."
Print Wikipost

SFO-AKL JV w/NZ, all year UA metal, 77W Nov18-Mar19, 772 Apr19-Oct19 (+newORD-AKL NZ)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2015, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold

http://www.ausbt.com.au/united-ameri...ts-to-auckland

In addition, AA mulling over LAX-AKL
Old Mar 1, 2015, 6:57 pm

Is there enough demand? I seem to recall that most of the NZ passengers on AKL-LAX were continuing on to London. Doubt that the Kiwis would want to fly UA instead of NZ if continuing to Europe.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 7:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
Is there enough demand?
That's what United will decide.

I seem to recall that most of the NZ passengers on AKL-LAX were continuing on to London.
Where did you hear that? I'm sure some go to Europe, but I'm sure lots visit North America, too. And San Francisco is a great destination.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 7:38 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Is there enough demand? I seem to recall that most of the NZ passengers on AKL-LAX were continuing on to London. Doubt that the Kiwis would want to fly UA instead of NZ if continuing to Europe.
Air NZ has 1-2 flights from SFO to AKL daily - they're not all Kiwis on those planes. They also have 2-3 flights from LAX-AKL daily - once again, they're not all Kiwis. Not a single American airline flies to AKL at the moment.

I would amend your final sentence to ask why anyone would want to fly UA over NZ, full stop.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 7:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, UA Silver, AA Gold
That'd be a great addition to the network.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by SeaProf
Not a single American airline flies to AKL at the moment.
With the exception of HA through HNL.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 7:49 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by slippahs
With the exception of HA through HNL.
Good catch - I had completely forgotten about them.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
UA flew LAX-AKL "back in the day." I doubt the route was a great money maker, but they did keep at it for a number of years. As far as Y pax are concerned, I could see people preferring UA in Y with present seating vs. NZ 10 across in Y on some of their 777's. UA's C service leaves a great deal to be desired, so little competition there. (Although I prefer UA's C seat over NZ.)
Old Mar 1, 2015, 8:40 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
It would be nice, but I would bet it's a close call whether there's enough traffic to support it. NZ is a country of just 4M people. Not that many are coming here from NZ, and not that many people are going there for tourism. It's also not a huge regional financial hub either.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA GS
Seems like a route well-suited to the 787, no?
Old Mar 1, 2015, 8:47 pm

Programs: United Million Mile Flyer, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, DL, AA WN
Originally Posted by SeaProf
Good catch - I had completely forgotten about them.
United used to fly HNL - AKL with a DC 10 if I recall correctly.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
787-8/9 could make a fair amount of logic on the route

I've done the NZ thing in Y on AKL->LAX a few times,
as an elite: UA Y+ > NZ Y any day of the week
Old Mar 1, 2015, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by Karl-MDW
United used to fly HNL - AKL with a DC 10 if I recall correctly.
Yes, in the 80s the DC10 was used on I believe a SFO-HNL-AKL-SYD rotation. IIRC there was also a 747 LAX-AKL-MEL rotation at some point in the 80s.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Both UA & QF used to fly LAX-AKL. If they had made good money they would still be flying that route.
QF was MEL-AKL-LAX with a B747 then A330 IIRC until mid 90's.
If a new service would not a lot paying pax in the pointy end IMHO

AA would have a very limited NZ domestic partner:- Qantas lcc subsidiary Jetstar.
UA would be head to head with Air NZ, and then reply on Air NZ for domestic flight connection.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TA
It would be nice, but I would bet it's a close call whether there's enough traffic to support it. NZ is a country of just 4M people. Not that many are coming here from NZ, and not that many people are going there for tourism. It's also not a huge regional financial hub either.
I disagree that there isn't much travel between the USA and New Zealand. In 2014, US tourists to New Zealand totaled 220,500 and in 2013, 209,000 New Zealanders visited the USA. That's an average of 1,177 passengers daily each way. And those numbers have been increasing at 10% to 13% per year.

http://www.med.govt.nz/sectors-indus...l/iva-key-data

http://travel.trade.gov/view/m-2013-I-001/index.html

Not huge, but a growing market and right now, NZ has a monopoly on nonstop flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.