Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Downsides of booking a UA flight sold as ANA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2016, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond

I am on Kayak searching for some Asia itineraries wanting to fly UA.I keep seeing the same UA flight (same #/time) being sold as an ANA flight, for a cheaper price, and also the ANA flight sold through a third party website for even cheaper. What are the downsides of booking the flight through the third party or ANA versus the UA flight. Will I lose out on PQM/mile bonuses or does it not matter since its an actual United plane?

Ex:
UA price $729
ANA price $723
ANA flight via JustFly $686
Old Jun 26, 2016, 10:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by xkr0p
I am on Kayak searching for some Asia itineraries wanting to fly UA.I keep seeing the same UA flight (same #/time) being sold as an ANA flight, for a cheaper price, and also the ANA flight sold through a third party website for even cheaper. What are the downsides of booking the flight through the third party or ANA versus the UA flight. Will I lose out on PQM/mile bonuses or does it not matter since its an actual United plane?

Ex:
UA price $729
ANA price $723
I would be concerned the third party (JustFly) ticket might be a bulk ticket.

The NH (ANA) ticketed flight will credit the same as UA ticketed. You'll have to go through NH rather than UA to make changes prior to day of departure.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 10:52 am

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P

Ex:
UA price $729
ANA price $723
The only downside I see is if you are trying to make GS status bin UA - otherwise go for it and fly NH - it's way better in most cases unless you are really overisized - then UA economy with its slightly better seat makes sense...
Old Jun 26, 2016, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
The only downside I see is if you are trying to make GS status bin UA - otherwise go for it and fly NH - it's way better in most cases unless you are really overisized - then UA economy with its slightly better seat makes sense...
Its not an ANA flight, its a UA plane just being sold under ANA flight numbers...
Old Jun 26, 2016, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT

Ex:
UA price $729
ANA price $723
As a 1K you should be able to figure this out pretty easily on your own Maybe you just fly and don't care about the miles.

Since you are flying on a UA-operated flight, it doesn't matter who tickets it (UA or NH). You will earn 11 miles per dollar spent for those segments.

This is clearly called out here: https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/Mar...es/united.aspx

If you book through JustFly I don't know who will ticket the itinerary. It's typically the major carrier on the ticket so it could be UA. It could also be the first carrier on the ticket and you haven't specific your routing.

-RM
Old Jun 26, 2016, 12:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
IRROPS is where the codeshare would make the most difference.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
For $6, it's worth it to stay away from codeshare flights. As others have said there's generally very little difference, but for things like changes your options are going to be better with the UA ticket - especially if there's any chance you'll end up using same-day change.

Never heard of JustFly, so I can't comment on that one...
Old Jun 26, 2016, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
The biggest issue is where you want your credit should you have to cancel your ticket.

Do you want an unused ticket on NH that can only be used on NH tickets, or would you rather have an unused ticket on UA that can be used on UA. Generally one's home carrier has the advantage on this one.

Also check the cancel/refund/penalty rules, they may vary depending on the issuer.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
As a 1K you should be able to figure this out pretty easily on your own Maybe you just fly and don't care about the miles.

Since you are flying on a UA-operated flight, it doesn't matter who tickets it (UA or NH). You will earn 11 miles per dollar spent for those segments.

This is clearly called out here: https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/Mar...es/united.aspx

If you book through JustFly I don't know who will ticket the itinerary. It's typically the major carrier on the ticket so it could be UA. It could also be the first carrier on the ticket and you haven't specific your routing.

-RM
I usually fly UA flights 90% of the time and if not its Star Alliance flights my job books.. Never came across such a big discount using a third party so thats why I asked.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
I would be concerned the third party (JustFly) ticket might be a bulk ticket.

The NH (ANA) ticketed flight will credit the same as UA ticketed. You'll have to go through NH rather than UA to make changes prior to day of departure.
I did this earlier in the year and had no problem calling in to UA to make a change (granted, it was just applying miles + copay upgrade)...for simple changes, UA might be able to help out.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by channa
The biggest issue is where you want your credit should you have to cancel your ticket.

Do you want an unused ticket on NH that can only be used on NH tickets, or would you rather have an unused ticket on UA that can be used on UA. Generally one's home carrier has the advantage on this one.

Also check the cancel/refund/penalty rules, they may vary depending on the issuer.
Good point. Thats a good enough reason for me to book it UA and pay extra. Thanks
Old Jun 26, 2016, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Good point. Thats a good enough reason for me to book it UA and pay extra. Thanks
And a totally sad assessment of UA today - basically you are selecting an inferior carrier because they are inferior.....
Old Jun 26, 2016, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

And a totally sad assessment of UA today - basically you are selecting an inferior carrier because they are inferior.....
I need the UA flight to keep my status. I like getting upgrades on practically every flight I fly. I like having free E+ and lounge access worldwide. I'll take E+ versus being crammed in NH's small seats and hot ... cabins anyday. I could care less about the food, I'm not flying First. Don't see what's the issue here.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 12:50 pm

I need the UA flight to keep my status. I like getting upgrades on practically every flight I fly. I like having free E+ and lounge access worldwide. I'll take E+ versus being crammed in NH's small seats and hot ... cabins anyday. I could care less about the food, I'm not flying First. Don't see what's the issue here.
My post reflected the point that you cared more about whet happens if your flight gets cancelled or changed - a really odd way to choose a carrier IMO....
Old Jun 26, 2016, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

My post reflected the point that you cared more about whet happens if your flight gets cancelled or changed - a really odd way to choose a carrier IMO....
Not really worried about UA, was more concerned of me having to cancel in case something with work comes up or whatever. I would rather have the credit on UA versus NH.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.