Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New scotch finally coming!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2016, 9:51 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
A good (and long overdue) change, and more evidence the metrics, looked at with a fresh set of eyes, show that cutting product quality was costing United some serious $$$.

And agree on it being a good, and accessible, choice for an airline. premium, but also for a mass market pallet.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yay.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 10:37 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
This is fantastic news and long over due!
Old Jun 24, 2016, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
that's great news, though I don't like sherried scotch.

I personally liked the Glenlivet 12, I think it was a perfectly acceptable scotch. Dewars is garbage.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 11:16 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
I really like to imagine that my (and probably many others) unending consumption of Buffalo Trace over the last 9 months showed how much we value a good whiskey.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 11:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TrueBlue, IHG Plat Amb, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Platinum, National Exec Elite
A change I definitely like!! Glenfarclas is delicious - especially the 15 yr.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by nevansm
I really like to imagine that my (and probably many others) unending consumption of Buffalo Trace over the last 9 months showed how much we value a good whiskey.
I was so excited to see Buffalo Trace on my flight last month! I think I'll order an old fashioned on my flight next week .
Old Jun 24, 2016, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have been enjoying the Buffalo Trace. The Dewars was always awful. I will hold out judgement on the Glenfarclas until I see which one they are going to serve. There are many, 10, 12, 15, 17 etc. There are not many 10 year old Scotches that are worth drinking.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 11:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TrueBlue, IHG Plat Amb, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Platinum, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Baze
I have been enjoying the Buffalo Trace. The Dewars was always awful. I will hold out judgement on the Glenfarclas until I see which one they are going to serve. There are many, 10, 12, 15, 17 etc. There are not many 10 year old Scotches that are worth drinking.
Yea I'm assuming it's the 10 as Airtime didn't specify.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 12:00 pm

Programs: United Global Services 3MM, Marriott Ambassador, AMEX Platinum, Global Entry/NEXUS
Mm, I love scotch. I love Scotch. Scotchy, Scotch, Scotch. Here it goes down. Down into my belly. Mm-mm-mm.

- Ron Burgandy, Anchorman
Old Jun 24, 2016, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Dewar's is indeed garbage, but based on the short blurb on Airtime, it doesn't seem like it is being replaced. As a proud admitter of drinking blended scotch, I prefer a good blended over a mediocre single malt, i.e., JW Black over the Glenlivet 12, any day. I'm happy to see Glenfarclas, but that Dewar's should really make way for a better blended.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Sterndogg
Yea I'm assuming it's the 10 as Airtime didn't specify.
I've tried the 10, 12 and 15. While the 15 is smoother, more complex and a bit richer-tasting (sherry notes more pronounced), the 10 is very drinkable. It compares favorably to many popular 12 year varieties and some well-respected reviews bear this out. I believe the standard Glenfarclas mini is a 10 year old.

However, given that airline demands (in minis) require a massive production, I suspect we may see the Glenfarclas come without an age declaration, which is a bit of sleight-of-hand distillers are using lately to cope with surging whisky demand. It would not surprise me to see something like this in connection with the United contract.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 2:15 pm

Programs: GS, Marriott Titanium LT, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
Great news! Another incremental improvement and a positive step in the right direction. Well done UA!
Old Jun 24, 2016, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
This is great news! <Counts remaining drink chits for summer travel.>
Old Jun 25, 2016, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Good news for those of us who enjoy Scotch. Dewars White Label is soooo bad, even their 12 year old would be better. When I'm flying out of an airport with an American Express Centurion lounge, I always have an empty water bottle with me and order a couple of Bruichladdich from the bar. I pour one into the water bottle to add to my inflight Dewars throughout the flight. The heavily peaty Islay makes the blended whiskey drinkable. Now I don't have to worry when flying UA, though on the past few UA flights I switched to the Buffalo Trace.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.