Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Horrific United Flight Attendant - what to do

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Horrific United Flight Attendant - what to do

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2016, 3:55 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Hard to imagine someone who freaks out because a passenger wants a Diet Coke. Some of those people need to be sent for counselling somewhere, or really, sent to a job where they no longer interact with the public in any shape or form.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 4:21 pm
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
99% of my experiences with UA FAs range from marginal to great, 100% of which are totally fine with me, you can't win them all. I think I comport myself reasonably well on airplanes, keeping in mind that travel is generally stressful for people (employees included). I have walked off a number of flights with a bottle of wine or champagne (back when they had the real stuff) for what I would like to think is my amenable attitude toward otherwise FUBAR'd situations.

With that said, maybe six years ago on an LIH > LAX overnight flight I was unceremoniously "cut off" up in F on the old 757s by one of those wonderful 100 year old FAs that love those routes. That was after exactly one drink in air and zero drinks that day prior to the flight. She didn't even tell me (had another FA do it). Apparently, I ordered a refill too quickly and she thought I was a danger to myself. This was pre-CPU days and the F cabin was actually nearly empty (me and maybe 4 other pax across all six rows). I was a 1K at the time but only 24 years old or so, I always just figured it was either that she figured I was up there by the grace of someone else's upgrade or that she saw me as a hurdle between an otherwise relaxing shift for her given the nearly empty F cabin.

In any event, I obviously didn't raise any issue on the flight, just took it in stride and fell asleep (frankly, she probably helped me fell better upon landing at LAX). With that said, I did write a letter to UA just explaining what had happened and basically just stating that it made me feel uneasy for that entire flight and that I didn't appreciate being made to feel like a bad actor when I couldn't think of a single thing I had done that was at all obtuse toward her, even after racking my brain. They didn't give compensation but I did get a custom response that said my note would be registered in the FAs file. I'm sure she was counting down the days/hours to retirement so it had no impact, but I did at least appreciate the acknowledgment of some kind of process.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
...He went ballistic. He told me he didn't like my attitude and he was going to the captain. He went up there and was in the cockpit talking to the captain and I was waiting to talk to the captain after he was done. I thought I was going to be toast and kicked off the flight. I was preparing for that....
This is why I never report any issue at all with personnel during a flight. You are just asking for some power tripping FA to kick you off the plane and have your name put on an FAA watch list. iluv2fly was lucky in this case.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by blueman2
This is why I never report any issue at all with personnel during a flight. You are just asking for some power tripping FA to kick you off the plane and have your name put on an FAA watch list. iluv2fly was lucky in this case.
He didn't report the rude FA, he simply went to a different one to get his drink. the rude FA then escalated when he saw the passenger with the forbidden drink.

FA's have no power to put anyone on an FAA watch list. They can report an incident, but they certainly don't have that level of power. As shown by the fact that the captain never got involved and the purser backed the passenger up.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 5:58 pm

Selling a luxury product

Airlines in J and F are selling a luxury product. Would you accept the same level of service in say a Prada store or a Ritz Carlton hotel? That's the standard they should be judged against.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Anyone who has seen these people downing free drinks and loudly complaining in a hotel lounge knows just how they feel about passengers. Spend a few hours in the evening at the Capital Renaissance lounge in Beijing and you'll see over 20 FAs getting hammered and complaining nonstop.
Most striking to me was seeing a minibus-load of UA crew storm the Sydney Harbour Marriott one morning, fresh from working a flight in from the States -- florid, disheveled, rude, profane, shouting at each other, shoving other guests aside as they rolled through the lobby -- they obviously despised the "traveling public." Saying they were a disgrace to the uniform is sort of a punch line, but it was indelibly true in this case. Incredible contrast to the impeccably coiffed, groomed, and polite Asian FAs who gaggle quietly in hotel lobbies in Vancouver, San Francisco, etc. knowing they are walking advertisements for their company. So are UA's, but not in a good way.

Originally Posted by blueman2
I never report any issue at all with personnel during a flight. You are just asking for some power tripping FA to kick you off the plane and have your name put on an FAA watch list.
"FAA watch list" or not, the FAs hold all the cards in flight and you have to sit down, shut up, and mind your temper. I once had a (non-UA) FA attempt to get me thrown off a morning flight because I had seen her and her crewmates in a hotel bar the prior evening (I'd been vouchered in there owing to an irrops cancel) and acknowledged as much as I boarded. Me trying to be friendly, but the FA went berserk and seemed to think I was suggesting she was drunk on the job. Never again have I initiated meaningful contact with an FA until I have satisfied myself through observation that he or she is not nuts. More than a few are.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
You made the right decision - if you had escalated it while onboard it could get ugly - for you! I would definitely write in to united and be short and specific - this is all too common and has to stop - and this is what happens when seniority matters more than actual performance....
And this is also what happens when one wants to cash in a fat check of severance pay while waiting for the employer to fire her.

I agreed with your actions, OP. Try to complain to Customer Care afterwards. This is getting ridiculous. If you don't mind I was asking, which route?

PVG, NRT, or SYD, or...?
Old Jun 15, 2016, 7:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by NH_Clark
If they don't start weeding out these bad apples Polaris is doomed for failure.
This is something that US airlines have a major problem with. Airlines across the board are introducing fabulous new F and C products, but people aren't going to pay the dollars F and C require to be treated rudely.

For example, the new 777-300ER over at AA has arguably the best J product in the sky for a US airline. However, rotten crews are not dealt with and continue to serve on these flights. On a DFW-LHR flight, I was even criticized for getting up and going to the lavatory as if I were treading in the crew's turf (no, I was not in or around the galley or near the jump seat).

Originally Posted by bryandshan
We just returned from an international flight in Business First. We had a horrible flight attendant. She scolded and yelled at us twice. The first time, we had stacked our plates on our tray and she firmly told us that we were making her job harder and to stop messing with her. Ok, just trying to help but fine.

Next, she takes our drink order then promptly forgets it. We get no drinks through our entire dinner service. 45 minutes later we ask if we could have our drinks ( we did not ring the call button just caught her eye) We waited until she was done serving ( there were 4 FA's at least in the cabin). She came back and told us to stop bothering her and that every time she comes over we ask for something and she's tired of it. She had raised her voice and the other passengers were staring at us. It was embarrassing as we had not asked for anything other than the drinks we ordered that she had forgotten. She then came back and plunked down the drinks. I later asked another FA what the mean ones name was to complain.

My question is, should I have addressed it with the Purser? We had a tight connection so I would not have had time to deal with the Purser or the FA after landing and make our connection ( thanks EWR). The woman was so strange I did not want to end up in some odd situation or confrontation while flying. We kept our mouths shut, never asked for anything else and I wrote an email to UA To which I got the general we're sorry response. I can't imagine this is the first time this woman has acted this way.
You did the right thing by staying quiet. Over a year ago, we had a genuinely rude FA on a domestic midcon. My seatmate told a terrible FA that he didn't care for her tone. She returned with accusations that he was intoxicated and told him that the flight may be forced to land at another airport if he kept it up. That was tense...
Old Jun 15, 2016, 7:30 pm

Programs: NZ *E
After living in SF for about 4 years now (moving from New Zealand), I've always tried to avoid UA on long haul given the horror stories I hear (flying ANA, Air Canada and AirNZ instead).

Last year I found a GF seat on the SFO-TPE flight and thought, what the heck I'll give it a go.

Half way through the flight I go up to the galley (to avoid hassling the flight attendant with the call button) to ask for a hot chocolate to a flight attendant reading a magazine and was promptly scolded:

Me: "Hi. Can I get a hot chocolate?"
Her: "We've never had that!! Where are you sitting?! Are in you in this cabin?!"
Me: "2A"

I mean, there were only two rows in the entire cabin yet I was still treated like an imposter.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 8:05 pm

Someone upstream suggested recording all conversations with rogue FAs. Well, if you do that, make sure they don't know you are recording them! There's a UA (? not FAA) ban on photographing the crew, and that probably extends to audio-recording the crew.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 8:39 pm

In all my international business and first class trips I cannot think of a single less than excellent FA's on foreign carriers. Even Northwest with the aging FA's some who wore the old wigs, I was just so impressed and very grateful for their excellent, attentive and friendly service.

Last edited by goalie; Jun 15, 2016 at 9:24 pm Reason: Off topic comment and quoted post removed
Old Jun 15, 2016, 8:42 pm

Welcome to United.

Sorry to say this. This is why I gave up on United. Really unfriendly gate agents and FA's I encountered caused me to take my ~$75K annual air travel budget outside of United.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by samjnz
After living in SF for about 4 years now (moving from New Zealand), I've always tried to avoid UA on long haul given the horror stories I hear (flying ANA, Air Canada and AirNZ instead).

Last year I found a GF seat on the SFO-TPE flight and thought, what the heck I'll give it a go.

Half way through the flight I go up to the galley (to avoid hassling the flight attendant with the call button) to ask for a hot chocolate to a flight attendant reading a magazine and was promptly scolded:

Me: "Hi. Can I get a hot chocolate?"
Her: "We've never had that!! Where are you sitting?! Are in you in this cabin?!"
Me: "2A"

I mean, there were only two rows in the entire cabin yet I was still treated like an imposter.
LHR-EWR 767 in GF I had the FA say "this is the first class bathroom!"
I turned around expecting it to be the one who wasn't serving me food for the past 2 hours but it was her. I said..."I'm in 2A...."

...."oh, okay."
Old Jun 15, 2016, 10:06 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
Someone upstream suggested recording all conversations with rogue FAs. Well, if you do that, make sure they don't know you are recording them! There's a UA (? not FAA) ban on photographing the crew, and that probably extends to audio-recording the crew.

The law on this is a little tricky:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legality_of_recording_by_civilians

I wouldn't try it.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 10:35 pm

Programs: UA 1k
We had a very surly "senior mama" FA recently LAX-NRT BF on the dreamliner. I asked if the chicken dish was white meat, to which she said "I don't eat the food. I don't know." After some more surliness, my very friendly wife chatted her up - and from that point on we got on great. Been flying 43 years she said, and started sharing some of her interesting stories.

I guess sometimes it is just making a bit of an effort on our part to be friendly, and that probably goes a long way in their minds.

Last edited by goalie; Jun 16, 2016 at 9:28 am Reason: race of f/a not needed in this discussion

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.