Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Economy Plus (E+) - Questions/Worth It?/Experiences [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Economy Plus (E+) - Questions/Worth It?/Experiences [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2017, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
$200 each way for E+ On a 12 hour flight sounds perfectly reasonable to me, and I know several friends who pay it for their occasional trips to Europe and Asia. YMMV.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 10:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
What do you expect with a $43 base fare? Do you think any of the budget European carriers now flying transatlantic (and are partially responsible for driving these fares) are any more generous with onboard amenities/legroom?

-FlyerBeek
E+ pricing does not depend on the fare paid. The price would be the same if OP had purchased a $3000 Y fare.

I agree with the OP, UA's pricing is often silly considering all you get is 3-4" extra pitch.

Originally Posted by Often1
Saying prices are too high ignores reality.
Pretending this is an actual competitive market ignores reality
Old Jul 8, 2017, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
People pay not because E+ has such awesome extra legroom, but because if they don't, they risk getting a blood clot, or a claustrophobia attack, or if you're fortunate to survive medically (which would be most people admittedly), you will be incredibly exhausted after such a long flight in such cramped quarters.

In other words, it's a stick, not a carrot, approach.
...and yet People manage t survive E- every day.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 3:37 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
My girlfriend and I were flying EWR-CLT yesterday. She has no status or UA FF# but was on an H Fare. United.com allowed her to pick any E+ seat for free at check in. That was a nice surprise for us.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 7:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by CMK10
My girlfriend and I were flying EWR-CLT yesterday. She has no status or UA FF# but was on an H Fare. United.com allowed her to pick any E+ seat for free at check in. That was a nice surprise for us.
Was E- full?
Was this on a common PNR?
Old Jul 10, 2017, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by CMK10
Interestingly enough, my girlfriend was flying RDU - EWR yesterday (Sunday), and also was offered an E+ seat for free at check in (online). Neither of us have status (both have FF#'s), I'm the primary account holder of the MP Explorer card and she's an authorized user, she booked her ticket on her MPE card but I'd be surprised if that's what did it. Since she's an AU her benefits allegedly only work on the same PNR as me, and her card doesn't have her FF# printed on it.

The flight was full (and then ended up going out with 1 seat empty after an hour delay), so possibly operational 'upgrade'? Surprisingly odd, or maybe it's surprise and delight. Or maybe they're trying to woo the NY - NC crowd?
Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:49 pm

I also got a free E+ seat about two weeks ago. I don't have status but am a primary cardholder of the Explorer card. (And this was not a flight with either end in North Carolina or EWR ). I was automatically moved to an E+ aisle seat without needing to do anything to select it. It was a very nice surprise.

(Edited to add: this was a regular economy ticket. Not BE.)

Last edited by Sariellet; Jul 10, 2017 at 10:54 pm
Old Jul 10, 2017, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Huh. Maybe they're actually implementing the "op-up to E+ to punish BE" strategy.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 5:40 am

I wish they wouldn't give away free E+ upgrades just because there are empty seats. If you paid or earned status, it is nice to have an empty seat beside you.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Tizzette
I wish they wouldn't give away free E+ upgrades just because there are empty seats. If you paid or earned status, it is nice to have an empty seat beside you.
It's pretty obvious if E- is full, United is going to place passengers without seats (BE buyers or otherwise) into E+.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
It's pretty obvious if E- is full, United is going to place passengers without seats (BE buyers or otherwise) into E+.
Makes sense, given that the alternative is putting them in the overhead bins or stacking them in the aisles, neither of which is FAA approved.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
Makes sense, given that the alternative is putting them in the overhead bins or stacking them in the aisles, neither of which is FAA approved.
Or paying $ for being VDB'd, which ain't gonna happen to preserve an empty seat next to a Premier. I think sbm12 has a blog photo of himself in an overhead bin, so that works for some...
Old Jul 13, 2017, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
There were posts about people being upgraded to their surprise from their E- seat assignment. It did not say they were upgraded because E- was full.

Last edited by Tizzette; Jul 13, 2017 at 3:12 pm
Old Jul 13, 2017, 4:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Tizzette
There were posts about people being upgraded to their surprise from their E- seat assignment. It did not say they were upgraded because E- was full.
The fullness of E- in those cases was unclear and I suspect had a bearing.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The fullness of E- in those cases was unclear and I suspect had a bearing.
That was my takeaway.

Additionally, it's been my experience the last few years that empty E+ middles are virtually always filled by standbys and non-revs right before departure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.