Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2020, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Archive thread -- Active thread is United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service -- 3+ years after Intro

United website - Explore: http://view.ceros.com/united/polaris-business-class/p/1
from UA's Facebook stream
Only customers traveling in United Polaris business class or United Polaris Global First on international flights and customers in Star Alliance international first or business class cabins on flights longer than six hours will have access to the United Polaris Lounge.
Official Polaris Lounge Access Rules are here: Polaris Lounge Access Rules

United Polaris Business and Polaris First pax may access the Polaris lounge at connecting airports and their final destination within 24 hours of departure or arrival.

*A international J and F pax may only access the Polaris lounge at the departure airport. For purposes of Polaris lounge access, Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, and Guam are excluded from the definition of "international."

Seat Chart.

Press release: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300278706.html

NEW YORK, June 2, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- With the aspiration of making weary business travel a relic of the past, United Airlines today unveiled its all-new United Polaris business class, the airline's most significant product transformation in more than a decade, featuring a reimagined, sleep-enhancing, departure-to-landing experience for intercontinental travelers.

Named after the North Star, United Polaris is the shining new star of business class travel that flyers can turn to for a tranquil and restful journey.

"United Polaris will change the game in international business travel with an exceptional level of relaxation and comfort throughout our customers' journeys," said Oscar Munoz, president and CEO of United. "This completely reconceived experience exemplifies the new spirit of United and the innovation, excitement and operational momentum across our airline."

Path-Breaking Design

In setting out to create a transformative business class experience, United chose to outfit its widebody fleet with a custom-designed, exclusive-to-United seat, rather than select an option already in the marketplace. Designed in partnership with Acumen Design Associates and PriestmanGoode and manufactured by Zodiac Seats United Kingdom, each United Polaris seat will offer direct access to the aisle, 180-degree flat-bed recline and up to 6 foot 6 inches of bed space.

Crafted as individual, forward-facing, suite-like pods, each customer's personal suite will feature a "Do Not Disturb" sign, mood lighting, one-touch lumbar support, several storage areas, multiple surfaces for simultaneous working and dining, a 16-inch high-definition entertainment screen and, for seats in the center of the cabin, electronic privacy dividers. Complementing the new seats, United and PriestmanGoode have also conceived an all-new look for the United Polaris cabins.

In rethinking the international business class experience, United conducted more than 12,000 hours of research, and sleep emerged as the single most important priority for international business class travelers. United Polaris' path-breaking design and sleep-enhancing focus was inspired and informed by insights from hundreds of customers and employees, inflight product simulations and more than 100 product evaluations.

Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours**. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.

Elevated Dining Experience

Upon boarding their flight, each United Polaris customer will be welcomed with a pre-departure beverage of his or her choice and gourmet chocolate. While in the air, customers will enjoy regionally influenced in-flight menus updated seasonally, developed in partnership with The Trotter Project and its critically recognized chefs, including Bill Kim of acclaimed Chicago restaurants Urbanbelly, bellyQ and Belly Shack.

The airline will offer an upgraded wine experience, with the highest-quality options curated exclusively by United's Master Sommelier. Inflight service will also include made-to-order signature ice cream sundaes, a dessert cart with a variety of petit dessert options, chocolate truffles and wine flights. On daytime flights longer than eight hours and on all flights longer than 12 hours, hot mid-flight snacks such as lobster macaroni and cheese will be available.

Raising The Bar With United Polaris Business Class Lounges

United will also open an exclusive portfolio of United Polaris business class lounges in nine locations around the world – the only lounge of its kind offered by a U.S. airline to business class customers – that will feature custom-designed chairs, private daybeds, spa-like showers and chef-inspired hot meals served in a boutique restaurant setting so customers can refresh and dine before boarding their planes. Premium sparkling wines and spirits, refreshing snacks and bottled water will also be offered.

The first new United Polaris lounge will open at Chicago O'Hare International Airport on Dec. 1, 2016. Lounges in eight other locations – Los Angeles, San Francisco, Houston, New York/Newark, Washington Dulles, Tokyo Narita, Hong Kong and London Heathrow – will follow in 2017.

United Polaris Introduction

United will begin to introduce United Polaris on Dec. 1, 2016, with the new inflight food and beverage experience, new custom bedding from Saks Fifth Avenue, new amenity kits and the new United Polaris lounge in Chicago. The United Polaris business class seat will first take flight in December on Boeing 777-300ER aircraft and subsequently on Boeing 787-10 and Airbus A350-1000 aircraft, as well as on Boeing 767-300 and 777-200 retrofits.

United Polaris will serve business class customers flying the U.S. airline industry's most global route network, reaching more than 330 destinations in more than 50 countries.

More information on the United Polaris business class can be found at united.com/Polaris.

[From [email][email protected] 11/15/2016]
Starting December 1, 2016, United Polaris Business Class service will replace United BusinessFirst service on international flights, and United Polaris Global First service will replace the current United Global First service.

Between 2017 to 2019 eight additional United Polaris lounges will open at EWR, HKG, IAD, IAH, LAX, LHR, NRT and SFO. We do not have the exact opening dates at this time. A scheduling announcement will be forthcoming.
** Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
Polaris lounge ORD - opened 01 Dec 2016 (wiki) (thread)
SFO Lounge changes? Which will become Polaris? Shower options?(wiki) (thread)
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Print Wikipost

United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2017, 1:28 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by porciuscato
Nothing wrong with tipping. Servers soliciting tips is tacky, tacky, tacky. In a lounge, a restaurant, or anywhere for that matter.
The slope between soliciting tips and building baksheesh into a service model is a slippery one. I hope that Polaris lounges can steer clear of that outcome.
Old May 14, 2017, 1:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
Originally Posted by tuolumne

I've been in First Class and Business lounges all over the world as well. I've also flown on private jets, including a G6 Gulfstream.

I always tip. Thank you very much.
In how many places has the staff told you something along the lines of "please tip feel free to tip me. No pressure..."
Old May 14, 2017, 2:39 pm

Programs: aa, ua 1k
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
SO wait staff in restaurants get tips why not in a lounge if the service is top notch?
Should we tip the staff who fill up the food on the buffet if they do a top notch job? And the floor sweeper? How about the people who wait on you on the flight?

Tipping is silly but I do it because wait staff in most places are paid less than the minimum wage. At the same time they make more than the people preparing the food and cleaning the dishes.

If United or the contractor United is using isn't paying them a decent wage then that is pathetic.
Old May 15, 2017, 1:30 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by transportprof
You're going to be waiting a long time for a Polaris lounge in Denver, as none is planned to be built there - ever.
NRT is pretty far down the list, too. SFO is the next lounge up.
Try the ANA lounge at NRT - they have a good noodle and sake bar!
I don't get how UA gets to call a flight "Polaris" because they gave me a box of chocolates? It ain't Polaris, seats, or Polaris lounges.

They actualy have a huge banner about Polaris in the DEN UCs. Wish it was closer to the floor, because I'd add a sign "....and you'll get none of this on your Polaris flight". I'm fine with re-branding, but I thought the FTC took a view on how long you call something 'New'. How long can UA call flights out of DEN 'Polaris' when you are really getting nothing that makes Polaris, Polaris?
Old May 15, 2017, 3:23 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PushingTin
I don't get how UA gets to call a flight "Polaris" because they gave me a box of chocolates? It ain't Polaris, seats, or Polaris lounges.

They actualy have a huge banner about Polaris in the DEN UCs. Wish it was closer to the floor, because I'd add a sign "....and you'll get none of this on your Polaris flight". I'm fine with re-branding, but I thought the FTC took a view on how long you call something 'New'. How long can UA call flights out of DEN 'Polaris' when you are really getting nothing that makes Polaris, Polaris?
You're getting the new Polaris service, the new bedding, the improved menu. It's more than just the seats. If you want the new seat pick a route that flies the new 777.
Old May 15, 2017, 7:47 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by PushingTin

Polaris is United's new name for international business class. Along with the re-branding comes new seats (being rolled out over time of course, starting with the newly delivered Boeing 777-300ERs), refreshed menus, and new bedding. DEN is not getting a Polaris lounge because UA judged it not to be a worthwhile investment, likely given that DEN has only one Polaris flight, to NRT.
Old May 15, 2017, 8:23 am

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sammyindc
You're getting the new Polaris service, the new bedding, the improved menu. It's more than just the seats. If you want the new seat pick a route that flies the new 777.
Well, kind, sorta. If you read through the reviews, it may or may not be an improved menu and the service could be the same, worse or better than previous service. The gel pillows may or may not be offered/available. Touted lounge in one location, touted seats on a few planes.

Polaris is a new name. Same inconsistency from United. More money spent on marketing Polaris than probably any part of the service itself.
Old May 15, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FlyfromDenver
Well, kind, sorta. If you read through the reviews, it may or may not be an improved menu and the service could be the same, worse or better than previous service. The gel pillows may or may not be offered/available. Touted lounge in one location, touted seats on a few planes.

Polaris is a new name. Same inconsistency from United. More money spent on marketing Polaris than probably any part of the service itself.
MY $0.02 - I've taken maybe 5-6 Polaris flights this year, all ex-SFO/LHR/FRA and the service has been consistently good to excellent, with the provision of all the promised onboard amenities. Maybe that is an outlier, but I don't think so from the body language I saw on board.

Lounges are going to be driven by where you are based. I hate to put it this way but DEN does not benefit from this change. The other hubs get an improvement. I would also read that as a window on how UA management views DEN as a revenue source. No risk of dehubbing, but also no risk of being more than a domestic hub.
Old May 15, 2017, 11:10 am

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by scnzzz
MY $0.02 - I've taken maybe 5-6 Polaris flights this year, all ex-SFO/LHR/FRA and the service has been consistently good to excellent, with the provision of all the promised onboard amenities. Maybe that is an outlier, but I don't think so from the body language I saw on board.

Lounges are going to be driven by where you are based. I hate to put it this way but DEN does not benefit from this change. The other hubs get an improvement. I would also read that as a window on how UA management views DEN as a revenue source. No risk of dehubbing, but also no risk of being more than a domestic hub.
Wasn't looking for a lounge in Denver - SFO, LAX, IAH and IAD would help.

Last edited by FlyfromDenver; May 15, 2017 at 11:29 am Reason: Correct one code
Old May 15, 2017, 11:42 am

Programs: United 1K

I have to generally agree with this - there is not advertising about the status or rate of upgrades to Polaris products on existing planes. Honestly, having now flown several partners with 1-2-1 all-aisle access business for far less money, until United realizes that the seat it what people are after (unless they do a truly significant upgrade to the overall product which they clearly aren't) this isn't going to succeed.
Old May 15, 2017, 8:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 0.6 MM
Originally Posted by Will Dearborn
I've had very hit-or-miss experiences with Polaris service to/from NRT, on multiple routes.

I'm going with ANA from now on - even if it means losing GS.
Innnnnnteresting. My experience has been the opposite.

ANA J is a little too fawning for my liking, and they don't keep my glass topped up the way UA does. Between that, the fact that I don't find the ANA seats as comfortable to sleep in, and the fact that our travel policy no longer automatically books me in B, I had to opt for UA 804 NRT-IAD over ANA 02 NRT-IAD.

UA 804 was a Dulles-based flight crew that had their act together. Boom boom boom, they knocked that first service out. When rolling the wine cart through with nuts and wine, they had the bottom of the cart stocked with minis so they didn't have to double back to the galley for cocktail requests. The FAs tag-teamed very well and were constantly circulating/rotating through the cabin clearing, topping off, bringing new bevvies. While they didn't "force" service overly quickly, they didn't drag it out either. And they went with flyer timing: the guys on either side of me horked their meals down while I nibbled slowly over time. The FAs kept floating and watching me, but didn't clear prematurely or rush me.

Offered cheese service, offered a nice dessert, with offers of coffee or tea to go with it.

When I popped into the galley after meal service to ask if I could get some jammies and a gel pillow, I ended up with Gordie (I *think* that was his name), who was the comic relief of the flight crew, making jokes with me and having all of us in stitches. After some laughs and little bit of flirting (I told Gordie he indeed was a beautiful man) a FA moved into service mode and walked with me to find the pillow and PJs, the former of which she placed on my seat.

The purser's announcements were detailed but not overly prose-y. She covered Dulles's moon buggies and how transfer and arrival pax cleave off at the one point, which I appreciated since there always is a gaggle of folks wondering what the hell to do and it becomes a bottleneck.

Slept through all other service offerings, but I'm guessing they did as well as at the beginning.

Plus, when I get on a UA bird I feel like I'm already home. When I'm on ANA, I'm still in Asia. So that UA flight, the UA crew, and--after weeks of being in Asia--the US food offerings bring me one step closer to where I want to be: home.

Big ^ for my last NRT-IAD flight. It was worth the extra 6 hours in Narita. The crew was a joy to be with, and I very much appreciated their service.
Old May 16, 2017, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by big V
Innnnnnteresting. My experience has been the opposite.
I could not have said it better.

I really don't understand the fuss about ANA. I just think it is overrated.

I did fly them frequently between Japan and EU and I have opted to fly OS exclusively now even with a connection through VIE. For Transpac, I have given up on ANA. Service is slow and seats not comfortable (yes with more personal space), and food is not exactly that good as compare to OS, TK and SQ.

My EX-Japan intra Asia flights and East Asia flights have all gone to SQ even with a connection in Singapore as more directly options on ANA. BR is my second choice

Even with the faults of UA, I still prefer it over ANA.
Old May 16, 2017, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I could not have said it better.

I really don't understand the fuss about ANA. I just think it is overrated.

I did fly them frequently between Japan and EU and I have opted to fly OS exclusively now even with a connection through VIE. For Transpac, I have given up on ANA. Service is slow and seats not comfortable (yes with more personal space), and food is not exactly that good as compare to OS, TK and SQ.

My EX-Japan intra Asia flights and East Asia flights have all gone to SQ even with a connection in Singapore as more directly options on ANA. BR is my second choice

Even with the faults of UA, I still prefer it over ANA.
I agree with all of this, though I don't have the frequency that you do. I didn't find ANA seats comfortable and the food wasn't great.

And now I have just taken my first ride with BR. Need some more frequencies, but the first trip was impressive.

SQ just doesn't work for my routes.

On a more related note, I had a late evening departure out of ORD last week (9:50PM?) and was bummed to learn the showers close down at 8PM. Seems rather lame for an otherwise great lounge.
Old May 17, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Wasn't looking for a lounge in Denver - SFO, LAX, IAH and IAD would help.
SFO will be along soon (at least partially). But yeah, I hear you. I wonder which will come later - the last of the major hubs to get a Polaris lounge vs. the last of the Polaris seat conversions (I'm betting the planes take longer)
Old May 21, 2017, 1:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I just booked LAX-SYD with MEL-LAX return in J for January-February.

I will also book a separate SFO-LAX round trip in Y to connect to the long-haul flights.

I should be able to get into the Polaris lounges in SFO and LAX in January and February? That is the SFO Polaris lounge for the outbound, the LAX polaris lounge for the outbound, then the NZ lounge (if any) at MEL for the return and LAX polaris lounge before connecting to the LAX-SFO flight in Y?

The return on the long haul is MEL-AKL-LAX, both segments on J on NZ. So probably an NZ lounge in AKL during a 2-hour connection there as well, assuming the NZ lounge is going to be better than anything UA might have there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.