Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Polaris - Business Class seats -- hard product comments

Old Jun 2, 2016, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
As there are multi-threads on inflight service and meals, will re-focus this thread on the hard product, the seats (and things related to the seat -- pillows, pads, blankets, ...)

United website - Explore: http://view.ceros.com/united/polaris-business-class/p/1
from UA's Facebook stream
Only customers traveling in United Polaris business class or United Polaris Global First on international flights and customers in Star Alliance international first or business class cabins on flights longer than six hours will have access to the United Polaris Lounge.
Official Polaris Lounge Access Rules are here: Polaris Lounge Access Rules

United Polaris Business and Polaris First pax may access the Polaris lounge at connecting airports and their final destination within 24 hours of departure or arrival.

*A international J and F pax may only access the Polaris lounge at the departure airport. For purposes of Polaris lounge access, Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, and Guam are excluded from the definition of "international."

Seat Chart.

Press release: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300278706.html

NEW YORK, June 2, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- With the aspiration of making weary business travel a relic of the past, United Airlines today unveiled its all-new United Polaris business class, the airline's most significant product transformation in more than a decade, featuring a reimagined, sleep-enhancing, departure-to-landing experience for intercontinental travelers.

Named after the North Star, United Polaris is the shining new star of business class travel that flyers can turn to for a tranquil and restful journey.

"United Polaris will change the game in international business travel with an exceptional level of relaxation and comfort throughout our customers' journeys," said Oscar Munoz, president and CEO of United. "This completely reconceived experience exemplifies the new spirit of United and the innovation, excitement and operational momentum across our airline."

Path-Breaking Design

In setting out to create a transformative business class experience, United chose to outfit its widebody fleet with a custom-designed, exclusive-to-United seat, rather than select an option already in the marketplace. Designed in partnership with Acumen Design Associates and PriestmanGoode and manufactured by Zodiac Seats United Kingdom, each United Polaris seat will offer direct access to the aisle, 180-degree flat-bed recline and up to 6 foot 6 inches of bed space.

Crafted as individual, forward-facing, suite-like pods, each customer's personal suite will feature a "Do Not Disturb" sign, mood lighting, one-touch lumbar support, several storage areas, multiple surfaces for simultaneous working and dining, a 16-inch high-definition entertainment screen and, for seats in the center of the cabin, electronic privacy dividers. Complementing the new seats, United and PriestmanGoode have also conceived an all-new look for the United Polaris cabins.

In rethinking the international business class experience, United conducted more than 12,000 hours of research, and sleep emerged as the single most important priority for international business class travelers. United Polaris' path-breaking design and sleep-enhancing focus was inspired and informed by insights from hundreds of customers and employees, inflight product simulations and more than 100 product evaluations.

Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours**. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.

Elevated Dining Experience

Upon boarding their flight, each United Polaris customer will be welcomed with a pre-departure beverage of his or her choice and gourmet chocolate. While in the air, customers will enjoy regionally influenced in-flight menus updated seasonally, developed in partnership with The Trotter Project and its critically recognized chefs, including Bill Kim of acclaimed Chicago restaurants Urbanbelly, bellyQ and Belly Shack.

The airline will offer an upgraded wine experience, with the highest-quality options curated exclusively by United's Master Sommelier. Inflight service will also include made-to-order signature ice cream sundaes, a dessert cart with a variety of petit dessert options, chocolate truffles and wine flights. On daytime flights longer than eight hours and on all flights longer than 12 hours, hot mid-flight snacks such as lobster macaroni and cheese will be available.

Raising The Bar With United Polaris Business Class Lounges

United will also open an exclusive portfolio of United Polaris business class lounges in nine locations around the world – the only lounge of its kind offered by a U.S. airline to business class customers – that will feature custom-designed chairs, private daybeds, spa-like showers and chef-inspired hot meals served in a boutique restaurant setting so customers can refresh and dine before boarding their planes. Premium sparkling wines and spirits, refreshing snacks and bottled water will also be offered.

The first new United Polaris lounge will open at Chicago O'Hare International Airport on Dec. 1, 2016. Lounges in eight other locations – Los Angeles, San Francisco, Houston, New York/Newark, Washington Dulles, Tokyo Narita, Hong Kong and London Heathrow – will follow in 2017.

United Polaris Introduction

United will begin to introduce United Polaris on Dec. 1, 2016, with the new inflight food and beverage experience, new custom bedding from Saks Fifth Avenue, new amenity kits and the new United Polaris lounge in Chicago. The United Polaris business class seat will first take flight in December on Boeing 777-300ER aircraft and subsequently on Boeing 787-10 and Airbus A350-1000 aircraft, as well as on Boeing 767-300 and 777-200 retrofits.

United Polaris will serve business class customers flying the U.S. airline industry's most global route network, reaching more than 330 destinations in more than 50 countries.

More information on the United Polaris business class can be found at united.com/Polaris.

[From [email][email protected] 11/15/2016]
Starting December 1, 2016, United Polaris Business Class service will replace United BusinessFirst service on international flights, and United Polaris Global First service will replace the current United Global First service.

Between 2017 to 2019 eight additional United Polaris lounges will open at EWR, HKG, IAD, IAH, LAX, LHR, NRT and SFO. We do not have the exact opening dates at this time. A scheduling announcement will be forthcoming.
** Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
Polaris lounge ORD - opened 01 Dec 2016 (wiki) (thread)
SFO Lounge changes? Which will become Polaris? Shower options?(wiki) (thread)
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Archive - United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service {Archive}
Print Wikipost

United Polaris - Business Class seats -- hard product comments

Old Jun 11, 2019, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by azepine00
You are not doing polaris right.
Eat in the lounge, sleep on the plane.
That's ok for the Hubber's who want to invest the lounge time , but for those who do not reside as such and are at the mercy of connections that is less of an option.Personally If I have a long international flight
I want the quality for the 8-15 hours of plane time rather than a fleeting lounge visit
Old Jun 11, 2019, 3:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by wanderingkev
That's ok for the Hubber's who want to invest the lounge time , but for those who do not reside as such and are at the mercy of connections that is less of an option.Personally If I have a long international flight
I want the quality for the 8-15 hours of plane time rather than a fleeting lounge visit
And the OP would select Austrian in Y over a flat bed seat for said 8-15 hour journey. Because cup refilled with water, or something.
N104UA and SFOdelayed like this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
And the OP would select Austrian in Y over a flat bed seat for said 8-15 hour journey. Because cup refilled with water, or something.
Missing the point, IMO. To me, the OP was highlighting how some effort on the service element of flying can go a very long way in making a flight enjoyable - flat bed or otherwise. (I think flat bed over a Y seat is a rather obvious preference not worth mentioning).
Old Jun 11, 2019, 4:25 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by porciuscato
Just back from a trip that included Polaris, and 1-hour segments in Austrian Economy. The highlights:

* On Polaris, the FA says "I dunno, we have a few reds, I guess you can look at them if you want" In Austrian economy, the FA says "We have a Riesling, which is a little sweeter, but you should really try the Gruner Weltliner, which is our Austrian specialty; and if you don't like it, I come back and give you the Riesling."

* On Polaris, the FA whisks away my sparkling water glass over an hour before landing, with no offer of a re-fill. In Austrian economy, the FA stops by TWICE to re-fill in a 1-hour flight.

* On Polaris, the service seems to be centered around minimizing FA time in the cabin and maximizing time in the galley and rest quarters. So the the meal is totally rushed through, with FAs dumping entrees on people's trays before they are done with appetizers. And then whisking things away before pax are done with them. The arrival meal is delivered 45 minutes before landing (!), so nobody has time to eat before they whisk things away for descent. On Austrian, when the flight was turned around at the destination, instead of sitting down, the FAs got up and did a whole additional service. That was in economy!
How long does it take you to eat two pieces of shrimp or smoked fish?
Old Jun 11, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by Long Zhiren
Last week, I was turned-off by a fellow front cabin UA passenger who was giving the FA a hard time for confusing chardonnays, cabernets, reds and whites. geesh.
I wouldn't give the FA a hard time about that, but... shouldn't they know?
Old Jun 11, 2019, 4:28 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by seanp7
Missing the point, IMO. To me, the OP was highlighting how some effort on the service element of flying can go a very long way in making a flight enjoyable - flat bed or otherwise. (I think flat bed over a Y seat is a rather obvious preference not worth mentioning).
The longest meal service I've had was on Swiss. It was overkill at 3+ hours. After that experience, I've really appreciated United's balance.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 5:17 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
In any case, the Polaris lounge is way over-rated in this forum. While they got off to a good start with Chicago, the fare at SFO and LAX is distinctly mediocre.
The sad part is that now the ORD Polaris Lounge has turned to mediocre. My favorite dishes in the buffet are gone. To the point that on my last two visits this year I did not eat anything. Saves UA money as if I don't eat, I don't drink.....so I did not even get one glass of Champagne.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by seat38a
The longest meal service I've had was on Swiss. It was overkill at 3+ hours. After that experience, I've really appreciated United's balance.
I forgot the term, but DL had "Express Dining" or something like that on its long hauls. Instead of the 3 courses served separately, they were all brought out on a single tray at once, BEFORE the rest of the forward cabin was served. This was actually a good idea, as it allowed me to go to sleep sooner.

Oddly, instead of asking me for my dessert choice, they put all 3 desserts on the tray! Potentially counterproductive (sugar high) to falling asleep quickly, so I only sampled the desserts. But, the concept worked as it gave me more sleep time which I needed.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 5:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
... DL had "Express Dining" ....
as does UA
Old Jun 11, 2019, 5:50 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
How long does it take you to eat two pieces of shrimp or smoked fish?
Umm. Plus a salad and bread, which of course must be buttered . ;-)
Old Jun 11, 2019, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Umm. Plus a salad and bread, which of course must be buttered . ;-)
And the butter must be sufficiently softened in order to perform the bread "buttering" operation. Additionally, the utensils must be unwrapped from their napkin cocoon in order to defrost them as well.

David
Old Jun 11, 2019, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
I forgot the term, but DL had "Express Dining" or something like that on its long hauls. Instead of the 3 courses served separately, they were all brought out on a single tray at once, BEFORE the rest of the forward cabin was served. This was actually a good idea, as it allowed me to go to sleep sooner.
Back in the day, UA offered three meal service speed options in F: an express option similar to what AndyPatterson describes with DL, an expedited option, and the full meal service.

It's been a long time and a long way down.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 11:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by SteveHK
Flat bed >>> Economy period. Sorry you didn't have a great experience with the UA crew, but would you really fly transatlantic in Y over United in J? I think not.
I can't even sleep in Austrian J-class seats because they are uncomfortable for tall pax. Their dining service in J is excellent but, everything else considered, I'd rather get some rest, and UA wins hands down in that regard. UA's J dinner service is, in general, abysmal, but that is not what I am buying when I fly UA.
Kacee likes this.

Last edited by zombietooth; Jun 12, 2019 at 12:46 am
Old Jun 12, 2019, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by zombietooth
I can't even sleep in Austrian J-class seats because they are uncomfortable for tall pax. Their dining service in J is excellent but, everything else considered, I'd rather get some rest, and UA wins hands down in that regard. UA's J dinner service is, in general, abysmal, but that is not what I am buying when I fly UA.
How tall?
I am 6'1", and slept OK on Austrian.

Do you have same issues on the new Polaris seats? I find them a bit "cramped", with no place to put legs when bent.
seanp7 and manstein58 like this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 5:51 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I forgot the term, but DL had "Express Dining" or something like that on its long hauls. Instead of the 3 courses served separately, they were all brought out on a single tray at once, BEFORE the rest of the forward cabin was served. This was actually a good idea, as it allowed me to go to sleep sooner.....
LH's Express Dining option means you're served before everyone else (and very quickly after take-off), but you have to give up the hot entree.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.