Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Club IAH E Terminal - Very Crowded [May 26, 2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2016, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/3.3MM

Was thru the IAH today and stopped by the United Club on the E Concourse and it was packed--at least on the 2nd floor; I didn't bother going up to the 3rd floor, but 2nd story was entirely swamped and long lines of people coming in. I just walked around and back out the door. What's the point if there's no where to sit or relax or enjoy the quiet. Kind of disappointing, actually. Gate 27 was actually less crowded.
Old May 26, 2016, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM, AA P 2MM, DL PM, US P, VS G, SPG LT P, HH D, HYATT P, PC P, AVIS PC, HERTZ PLAT
Its the weather. Lots of diverts (I'm on UA1795 right now which ended up being PHX-DFW-IAH) and delays going in and out.

General Departure Delays: Due to WX:Thunderstorms, traffic is experiencing Gate Hold and Taxi delays between 1 hour and 1 minute and 1 hour and 15 minutes in length and increasing.
Old May 26, 2016, 11:28 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DJR0495
Was thru the IAH today and stopped by the United Club on the E Concourse and it was packed--at least on the 2nd floor; I didn't bother going up to the 3rd floor, but 2nd story was entirely swamped and long lines of people coming in. I just walked around and back out the door. What's the point if there's no where to sit or relax or enjoy the quiet. Kind of disappointing, actually. Gate 27 was actually less crowded.
The LAX Club is often like that so I do what you did. I walk in, observe the madness, immediately leave and find an empty gate to relax in peace and quiet.
Old May 27, 2016, 12:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Apparently this is the new normal in E Terminal. It's been mentioned in other threads and consistent with my last IAH experience (on a beautiful weather-free day). C Terminal is now the better choice.
Old May 27, 2016, 12:03 am

Knowing our luck it is probably because UA is running a new United Club promo now to enhance the benefits of our loyal passengers by making it more crowded....
Old May 27, 2016, 4:23 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
I dropped my membership this year for this exact reason. Every time I went into a club it was a friggin mad house. Was traveling with my coworker who has a membership a couple of weeks ago and went into one of the clubs in ORD and it was so insanely packed we turned around and walked out.

Smiled as I walked out knowing that I made the right decision. I'd rather find a quiet corner in the airport to work or gladly pay $9 a beer at an airport bar than deal with the craziness that the united clubs have become!!!

Also, I wonder what percentage of people actually have a paid membership vs. credit card status or whatever. I was a paid member for the last 5 years.... won't be rejoining until things drastically change.
Old May 27, 2016, 4:33 am

Programs: 1K
IAH Term E club is ridiculously packed even without a bunch of diverts in Houston. I always go straight to the top floor, as it is generally better (and doesn't have an escalator going up to it). If you can't take the stairs the elevator goes up there. No bar up there.
Old May 27, 2016, 4:51 am

Programs: United MP (Platinum), AS (75K), AA (GM)
The UA club in EWR is ridiculously crowded as well. I'm also an Admirals Club member for AA and I have never seen such crowded clubs in their system (yes, they can get packed, but NOTHING like I've seen with UA). My partner is canceling his membership because of this. I only am keeping it since I still have the Prez Plus card. What a mess, UA! I've seen great improvements elsewhere but the club situation has been the low point for me.
Old May 27, 2016, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by tj722
The UA club in EWR is ridiculously crowded as well. I'm also an Admirals Club member for AA and I have never seen such crowded clubs in their system (yes, they can get packed, but NOTHING like I've seen with UA). .
And when AA clubs get consistently crowded, AA does something about it. At MIA when the D concourse rehab finally concluded, the AC at the east end was almost immediately overrun on a consistent basis. So AA quickly added chairs, a small bar, and a food station on the mezzanine area outside the club entrance. It wasn't perfect, but at least they did something.

My UC membership lapses in 33 days, and I'm really on the fence about extending this time.
Old May 27, 2016, 5:48 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by halls120
My UC membership lapses in 33 days, and I'm really on the fence about extending this time.
I let mine go a year ago only to re-engage this year because of the irrops benefit. It's worth $450 to me even if that only gets me a more helpful agent 2-3 times a year when I really need it. UA has succeeded in lowering my expectations below anything better than that.
Old May 27, 2016, 6:00 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Last Sunday at FLL: UC was "at capacity" and agents were turning away paying members -- saying fire laws prohibited more occupants. There were no IRROPs, just normally full on-time flights.
Old May 27, 2016, 6:00 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
On Wednesday, the EWR club at the sub 100 gate concourse was really crowded too. No where to sit. And no delays or weather.
Old May 27, 2016, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by LIH
I let mine go a year ago only to re-engage this year because of the irrops benefit. It's worth $450 to me even if that only gets me a more helpful agent 2-3 times a year when I really need it. UA has succeeded in lowering my expectations below anything better than that.
If I re-up, that's going to be the only reason why.
Old May 27, 2016, 6:15 am

Programs: -=- UA: GS + 3.9 Million Miler; Hilton: Diamond; Marriott: Gold; Hertz: President's Circle
This is not hard to fix. First, take away *Gold from Premier Gold members and give *Gold only to Plat and higher. Second, don't allow entry with 1-Day pass if club is currently beyond xx % full. Third, build clubs sized to reflect the number of people who UA allows access to versus building undersized clubs.
Old May 27, 2016, 7:01 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
For IAH the AX Centurion Lounge in D should be opening over the next few months.

I doubt it will help the situation at the UCs, but that's where this UC member plans on lounging when at IAH.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.