Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA doing some targetted MP up-status changes [May, 10, 2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 12, 2016, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Surface Interval
May 2016 -- UA ran a targeted (unknown numbers) program to provide status bumps for some.

This included
- Some GM receiving a free E+ subscription,* some given Silver or Gold
- Some Silvers were bumped to Premier Gold status
- Some Golds were bumped to Premier Platinum status (no RPUs)
- Some Plats were bumped to Premier 1K status (no RPUs, no GPUs)

(* If given an E+ subscription, it will not appear under the "Subscriptions" section in one's MP account, but a message appears during the booking process that confirms E+ seats are available to such people. The E+ subscription is good only for U.S. flights, and maybe only for continental U.S. flights.)

Status bumps appear to generally be 1 level but there have been some reportedly 2 levels bumps (too small in number to have a high confidence level).
These status bumps are effective until end of January 2017.

The status bumps are only effective on UA/UX flights and does not include a bump in *A status. No MP card with bumped status will be provided (limiting ability to use for *A lounge access per UA e-mail). NOTE: there are a few reports of peoples digital cards reflecting the gifted bump in status. 2nd NOTE: There are also reports that the bumpees are getting the *A status associated with their bump in status.

No reports of equivalent bumps to GS.

Some were notified by email -- others noticed their bumps by viewing their online account.

The quantity, demographics or reason for this target promo have not be announced by UA. UA has acknowledged the program on some social media outlets (Twitter Link 1, Twitter Link 2, ...) More details can be found on this UA offer page TB3330. UA has suggested posting feedback at https://unitedairtime.com .
Print Wikipost

UA doing some targetted MP up-status changes [May, 10, 2016]

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2016, 6:35 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jsk1973
When people start threatening to leave UA or to fly UA less often, not because of a schedule change or fare increase but because of a promotion, it's logical to ask why such people were flying UA in the first place.

Taking a lot of people in this thread at their word, they've inexplicably been flying UA despite having better and/or cheaper options all along.
This is not always the case. I fly EWR-MSP often and EWR-ATL about once every two months. I choose UA because of my elite status on these routes, as schedule and price are usually equal or close to equal. This gives me complete discretion as to which carrier I will fly, and since I often book F on these routes the actual flying experience isn't enhanced much by the difference in status I have on UA and DL. I choose UA because I care about maintaining my status and because in rare situations of IRROPS I can more easily maneuver.

I booked a few DL flights on these routes over the past few weeks, primarily out of spite and anger at this promotion. It didn't affect my wallet and it didn't affect my schedule. It's simply human behavior, and whether rational or not it has impacted UA negatively by a few thousand dollars from a good customer.

I understand UA's thought process, but there's very little excuse for their application. Good idea, bad implementation. Will the positives outweigh the negatives, since most of us are primarily captive to UA? Possibly. We won't ever know. But they absolutely weakened the bond many of us feel as road warriors who earned our status by actually flying and spending $, and in situations where we have a real choice on carrier have made it less likely- by however large or small an amount- to choose UA.
Old May 26, 2016, 7:23 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
It wasn't remotely off-topic to mention that AA has offered a similar promotion three times in the past 6 months.

This isn't really clear at all. But if UA was truly hoping to lure back the former HVF who have allegedly left, I'm sure UA still has contact information for most of them. These current promos obviously go well beyond trying to lure back HVF defectors.
I get to choose whatever airline I want, as do all of my coworkers. We are a small company with plenty of us traveling but not enough to justify any type of corporate hand holding by UA. I stick with UA mostly because I grew up with UA, which is a relationship I should probably give up on. PMUA appreciated my loyalty, current UA doesn't care if I stay.
Old May 26, 2016, 10:37 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
It wasn't remotely off-topic to mention that AA has offered a similar promotion three times in the past 6 months.

This isn't really clear at all. But if UA was truly hoping to lure back the former HVF who have allegedly left, I'm sure UA still has contact information for most of them. These current promos obviously go well beyond trying to lure back HVF defectors.
+1. In fact, handing out status to golds and plats might be a way to accelerate defections as the 1Ks who are still around get even more disgusted with their second class treatment. United may not consider 1Ks HVFs, but that's just another sign of their myopia. They value new money over old money, I guess.

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
I get to choose whatever airline I want, as do all of my coworkers. We are a small company with plenty of us traveling but not enough to justify any type of corporate hand holding by UA. I stick with UA mostly because I grew up with UA, which is a relationship I should probably give up on. PMUA appreciated my loyalty, current UA doesn't care if I stay.
+1. This is almost exactly my situation. I was toying with AA but they are headed in the same direction. With the VA acquisition and all my west coast flying Alaska is looking better and better.

Originally Posted by blueman2
Far more compassionate and well written note that I received as a 1K. Mine was mainly "we have forwarded your feedback, please do not bother us any more but instead send your complaints to UnitedAirTime" or some such rubbish.
+1. The response I got was corporatespeak that said nothing and didn't address my concerns at all. I'll bet the blowback has gotten the at least reconsider their messaging.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; May 26, 2016 at 12:15 pm Reason: Combine consecutive, related posts from same member.
Old May 26, 2016, 11:11 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
MODERATOR NOTE

This is a discussion about MP status changes as a result of offers made by United to different customers but it is not a discussion about each other. If you want to discuss each other you are free to do so privately but not here and future posts of that nature will be deleted

goalie
UA Forum C0-Moderator
Old May 26, 2016, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Do people scream and boycott because Starbucks and Dunkin' Donuts don't reward frequent customers at a faster and better pace than the people who go there once a month? No. The people who go to Starbucks every day get the same 2 stars per dollar as the guy who goes there once a month — and unlike with airlines, there are a zillion options for getting a cup of coffee.
I'm trying to understand this analogy. People are upset because UA is rewarding people who patronize their company less frequently the same as they reward people who are regular customers by giving them equal benefits...that's what the status bump achieved.

I've seen no complaints here from a 1K who feels they deserve more than another 1K, as long as they both earned the status according to the rules.

Last edited by goalie; May 26, 2016 at 7:16 pm Reason: per mod note
Old May 26, 2016, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by JBord
I'm trying to understand this analogy. People are upset because UA is rewarding people who patronize their company less frequently the same as they reward people who are regular customers by giving them equal benefits...that's what the status bump achieved.

I've seen no complaints here from a 1K who feels they deserve more than another 1K, as long as they both earned the status according to the rules.
I think you might have made that too simple. Have a like.

Last edited by goalie; May 26, 2016 at 7:17 pm Reason: edited quoted post to match edited original post
Old May 26, 2016, 12:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JBord
No, not really. UA didn't suddenly give everyone Platinum or 1k status. UA bumped up a lot of people one level. The people at the very top didn't have anywhere to get bumped to, but that's just the way it is.

Last edited by goalie; May 26, 2016 at 7:17 pm Reason: per mod note
Old May 26, 2016, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I think you might have made that too simple. Have a like.

Agreed. This is really not that complicated.
Old May 26, 2016, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
It's on United Airtime... obviously they are hearing the feedback. Reads eerily like some responses folks have received :

Q:Why are you providing Premier status to some people who have not earned it?

A: We have been receiving feedback from some of our Premier members about the targeted MileagePlus promotion we recently launched. Let us assure you, we do not expect a notable change to the customer experience and benefits you receive today. This promotion was created to provide a very limited group of Premier MileagePlus members with Premier status one level higher than their current Premier level. Being a promotion, it is for a limited time period, and it doesn’t provide the same benefits you would receive as an earned Premier member (e.g. those participating in this promotion will not receive Global or Regional Premier Upgrades).

Last edited by EWR764; May 26, 2016 at 2:45 pm
Old May 26, 2016, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
Is this bump going to make anyone fly more with United?

Old May 26, 2016, 7:01 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Originally Posted by Michael D
Probably so for people who save money on checked bag fees compared to other carriers. Might have as well given away free checked in bag to the masses and made it a competitive advantage to make up for the abysmal reliability.

Me thinks one of them is going to jump on the bandwagon of "1 free checked in bag", citing whatever reason will make it palatable at that point. TSA line backup, "targeted promotion", etc.
Old May 26, 2016, 7:19 pm

Oh, we get it, and so does UA.

All the foot stomping aside, if people had better options, they'd be partaking of them.

Airline so-called "elites" have been spoiled for years. Do people scream and boycott because Starbucks and Dunkin' Donuts don't reward frequent customers at a faster and better pace than the people who go there once a month? No. The people who go to Starbucks every day get the same 2 stars per dollar as the guy who goes there once a month — and unlike with airlines, there are a zillion options for getting a cup of coffee.
There are many ways that UA could do something to value the existing frequent customer base while attempting to take advantage of business growth opportunities at the same time. But they didn't - life will move on until January 31 and be back to normal afterwards.

Last edited by goalie; May 26, 2016 at 7:22 pm Reason: per mod note
Old May 26, 2016, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA (1K, 2MM), AA, Avis, National
Originally Posted by EWR764
It's on United Airtime... obviously they are hearing the feedback. Reads eerily like some responses folks have received :
... it doesn’t provide the same benefits you would receive as an earned Premier member (e.g. those participating in this promotion will not receive Global or Regional Premier Upgrades).
Translated from PR-speak, this reads "it provides the same benefits you would receive as an earned Premier member except Global or Regional Premier Upgrades." Those bumped to silver and gold get same benefits as those who earned the status the hard way, and platinum unly miss a couple of RPU one gets at 75K mines.
Old May 26, 2016, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

An interesting tidbit on this mess:

Earlier I posted about my wife getting the E+ but I didn't despite nearly identical flight histories. Today we get promo emails talking about bonus miles--emails that make reference to the E+ status we were given. In other words, it looks like I actually got it but didn't get the e-mail.

It's still basically moot, though, as our expected domestic flying for the rest of the year is two hops of a little over an hour each.
Old May 27, 2016, 8:05 am

Programs: ua Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Gold, National Executive, Avis First
Originally Posted by FreFly
... it doesn’t provide the same benefits you would receive as an earned Premier member (e.g. those participating in this promotion will not receive Global or Regional Premier Upgrades).
Translated from PR-speak, this reads "it provides the same benefits you would receive as an earned Premier member except Global or Regional Premier Upgrades." Those bumped to silver and gold get same benefits as those who earned the status the hard way, and platinum unly miss a couple of RPU one gets at 75K mines.
Actually, those bumped to Silver seem to be getting more than those that earned it the hard way, as some are getting E+ subscriptions with it....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.