Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Cancelling Explorer card, was told Business card only earn miles for business expense

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancelling Explorer card, was told Business card only earn miles for business expense

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2016, 10:12 am
Original Poster

When I mentioned I had United Business card, I was told that I would only get miles on that card for items purchased for the business. I have been getting miles for everything I buy on that card, .. Cancelled the explorer anyway as I do not need to pay 2 annual fees.

Anyone run into this?
Old May 5, 2016, 10:18 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by Tedford2
When I mentioned I had United Business card, I was told that I would only get miles on that card for items purchased for the business. I have been getting miles for everything I buy on that card, .. Cancelled the explorer anyway as I do not need to pay 2 annual fees.

Anyone run into this?
Complete load of bollocks. You're fine.
Old May 5, 2016, 11:22 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL

Anyone run into this?
How in the world would they know the purpose of any one purchase???
Old May 5, 2016, 11:58 am

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
Originally Posted by uanj
How in the world would they know the purpose of any one purchase???
+1
Old May 5, 2016, 12:36 pm

I don't get this thread. Ok so you cancelled the card and your topic says cancelling card, yet you are taking about how you spend your money on the card??
Old May 5, 2016, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K M, AA 2 MM PREM, AVIS First, HYATT Explorist, Marriott Lifetime Platinum., Hilton Gold.

Anyone run into this?
Not sure if you were given correct information. I would call back and talk to an agent who can help you.
Old May 5, 2016, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by dank0014
I don't get this thread. Ok so you cancelled the card and your topic says cancelling card, yet you are taking about how you spend your money on the card??
OP called to cancel Explorer and did so. Agent incorrectly told OP that his United Business Card (a 2nd UA branded card) would only earn miles on business purchases...probably as a way to get him to keep the explorer.
Old May 5, 2016, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AS
Well, technically this is what it says in the T&C for the card:
https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...g.do?card=FJMN

By becoming a Visa Business Card cardmember, you agree that the card is being used only for business purposes and that the card is being issued to a public or private company including a sole proprietor or employees or contractors of an organization.
I guess this is what they were referring to?
Old May 5, 2016, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
There are also slight differences in the purchases that earn double miles. My Explorer Biz card earns double miles on restaurants, gas stations and office supply stores, while my legacy MP Platinum card earns double miles on grocery stores and home improvement stores (which presumably aren't business purchases, at least not in my line of work).

I only recently adopted the second card, to separate my business travel expenses from the family purchases. My first year on the Explorer Biz is free. I think after that I'll switch to to a different card, like the Sapphire, and collect another sign-up bonus. Lather. Rinse. Repeat. (I like the PQM benefits of the Platinum card too much to churn it.)
Old May 5, 2016, 7:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Welcome to FT, Tedford2!

Originally Posted by ACC2008
I would call back and talk to an agent who can help you.
Why waste time?
Old May 5, 2016, 7:58 pm
Suspended

Anyone run into this?
I, too, have Both Cards (I dont even have a business, LOL). Yes, points are earned on ALL purchases, business, or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.