Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

FA's drinking out of our bottled water {or their provided bottle?}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2016, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist

Weird thing happened today on my ORD-LAX flight. I will preface this by saying this was a 6:02 departure so I might have been seeing things. But I am sitting in a window seat in F and I see an FA talking to her colleague and I notice she is sipping water out of one of the bottles (straight from the bottle) of waters I presume gets poured into glasses later one lol. I thought to myself is she really taking a swig out of the same water bottle she will later pour into my cup??? I'm just going to hope that wasn't the case. Would love to hear if any of you flyer talkers have seen that?
Old May 1, 2016, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brandinho1
Weird thing happened today on my ORD-LAX flight. I will preface this by saying this was a 6:02 departure so I might have been seeing things. But I am sitting in a window seat in F and I see an FA talking to her colleague and I notice she is sipping water out of one of the bottles (straight from the bottle) of waters I presume gets poured into glasses later one lol. I thought to myself is she really taking a swig out of the same water bottle she will later pour into my cup??? I'm just going to hope that wasn't the case. Would love to hear if any of you flyer talkers have seen that?
I doubt it. They usually have their own bottles of water. So, unless you actually see them take a swig then pour from the same bottle it is extremely unlikely to happen.
Old May 1, 2016, 3:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

FAs are allocated a certain amount of water per flight/trip to make sure they stay hydrated while working. It is the same stuff that they serve pax but it is extra bottles catered on board. They do not "share" with the regular service.
Old May 1, 2016, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No need for everyone to butcher the OP. If this is the first time seeing it could be an honest mistaken conclusion to what they observed so they came and asked here. Be kind people.
Old May 1, 2016, 4:42 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Baze
No need for everyone to butcher the OP. If this is the first time seeing it could be an honest mistaken conclusion to what they observed so they came and asked here. Be kind people.
MODERATOR NOTE

Please read the above post as I have deleted numerous off topic posts

goalie
UA Forum Co-Moderator
Old May 1, 2016, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am sort of a clean freak and frequently grossed out by the stuff the FAs do in the galley. However, I have yet to see an instance where the FA drinks out of the same bottle that is used for passengers. Most of the time, they pull the label off the one they use.

The Chinese say "it is clean when you don't see it" is very true when it comes to food preparation
Old May 1, 2016, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Baze
I doubt it. They usually have their own bottles of water. So, unless you actually see them take a swig then pour from the same bottle it is extremely unlikely to happen.
Several years ago on a flight from SFO to IAD wife and I setting in 1A and 1B. We saw a flight attendant repeatedly taking a drink out of the same bottle that he used to pour water for the passengers. When the attendant was passing out the water, I went to the galley and talked with the Purser. For the remainder of the flight the attendant did not come up front. Upon arrival at Dulles, the attendant came to the front of the plane and apologized as we disembarked. I did report it. If it happen today we would have video of it on the smart phone and it would be posted on YouTube..
Old May 1, 2016, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
They also often mark them in some sort of way...tear the label off, put their name or initials on it, etc. It's usually pretty clear it's a dedicated bottle.
Old May 1, 2016, 6:01 pm

Programs: CX Gold
I really doubt it. I think UA at least has the money to cover FA's drinks onboard
Old May 1, 2016, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I have seen FAs take partially used bottles of water off the plane. My guess is it's a previously used but not emptied bottle
Old May 1, 2016, 7:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
OP I support you as I would have thought the same.

This is why I'm always scared to eat the side dishes when flying F on Pacific Carriers. Since side dishes are easily reused and obviously don't look as "fresh/appealing", I jump to that conclusion also.
Old May 1, 2016, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I actually asked them about the water thing and a FA told me:

Domestically, they are not even allowed to take water off the plane - that is considered stealing. The pilots are allowed because their contracts allow that.

Internationally, they are allowed 2 bottles.

...so I was told.
Old May 1, 2016, 9:37 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
A few years back I was flying on a tpac in C and went to the galley to help myself to some water (as, naturally, nobody was responding to the call button). A couple of FAs were chatting in the jumpseats, and one quickly jumped up to help me, explaining that they had their own water and she didn't want me to accidentally get their backwash. Needless to say, I started to actively avoid UA after that.
Old May 1, 2016, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
OP I support you as I would have thought the same.

This is why I'm always scared to eat the side dishes when flying F on Pacific Carriers. Since side dishes are easily reused and obviously don't look as "fresh/appealing", I jump to that conclusion also.
Appreciate that. Just an observation combined with the early takeoff. If anything will make me more concious about that sort of thing.
Old May 1, 2016, 10:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by joejones
Needless to say, I started to actively avoid UA after that.
A strange reaction given that all airlines provide water for their in-flight crew to remain hydrated while working.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.