Wiki Posts
Search

SNA-EWR

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2016, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA/1k
Unhappy SNA-EWR

I need to fly from Irvine back home to NYC mid-may. I'm surprised to see the SNA-EWR flight is so expensive, $735 versus $150 in coach out of LAX, (or actually $999 on JetBlue MINT)! I'm not super familiar with so-cal but the traffic from SNA to LAX can't possibly be that bad, can it?

I guess they use this leg mostly for connections to europe?

What are my complementary upgrade chances on this SNA-EWR route?
Old Apr 29, 2016, 8:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
The 405 is an absolute nightmare but if you can spare an additional 2-3 hours, I would fly out of LAX (or check if connecting via DEN/IAH/ORD is cheaper). I generally fly out of LAX, but would imagine complimentary premier upgrades are hard to come by ex-SNA.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 8:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by vijayp
I'm not super familiar with so-cal but the traffic from SNA to LAX can't possibly be that bad, can it?
It can be really bad, but not $585 bad. Just leave yourself at least 90 minutes for the drive and another hour to return your rental car

There are no complimentary upgrades LAX-EWR so your odds are by definition better on the SNA flight.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
It can be really bad, but not $585 bad. Just leave yourself at least 90 minutes for the drive and another hour to return your rental car

There are no complimentary upgrades LAX-EWR so your odds are by definition better on the SNA flight.
Yeah, I was 1/2 wondering if I should hire a helicopter to fly me to LAX from SNA . I might have a few hours to kill so maybe I'll just drive up PCH, fly out of LAX, and enjoy the view.

I fly SFO-EWR far far too often, so I'm familiar with the PS routes…
Old Apr 29, 2016, 9:01 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Keep watching the price it will come down.

Also when you are making the booking dont reveal yourself, be a kettle and you will likely get the upgrade offer for TOD which is common at SNA.

You can add your number and choose seats later. As you know, UA hates its elites so they don't get the TOD offers.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I had been advising my brother on some SoCal flying. The low prices - and more frequencies - out of LAX can be appealing if you can time your road travel around rush hours properly.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
and another hour to return your rental car
Old Apr 30, 2016, 12:15 am

Programs: UA LT Plat, 2.5mm, Hilton LTD, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Whatever
I need to fly from Irvine back home to NYC mid-may. I'm surprised to see the SNA-EWR flight is so expensive, $735 versus $150 in coach out of LAX, (or actually $999 on JetBlue MINT)! I'm not super familiar with so-cal but the traffic from SNA to LAX can't possibly be that bad, can it?

SNA is my home airport and EWR is very unlikely for the upgrade. I often fly into LGA which is much cheaper. You have better ground options at the other end although LGA is pretty much limited to buses, limos and taxis but you can get yourself to a train or subway at the other end and can then get to NYC from there, if you feel that's an option. I will only go to LAX maybe once a year and usually less than that.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Uber is the answer. (Or Lyft, if that's your thing.)
Old Apr 30, 2016, 3:22 am

Programs: UA
You can take the $20 shuttle to LAX from Irvine. http://shuttletolax.com/

I think the company they use varies but last time I used it it was Primetime.

I've gotten from Irvine to LAX in as little as 35 minutes and as much as 2 hours.

I've found that airfare is usually pretty equal between the two.

Last edited by thejaredhuang; Apr 30, 2016 at 3:37 am
Old Apr 30, 2016, 4:42 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
You also have the option of taking the FlyAway to Union Station and then take Amtrak / Metrolink to OC. Due to the dedicated busway on the freeway, I've gone from LAX to LAUS in as little as 20 min ride after being picked up at Terminal 7. There are 11 trains a day going down to OC just on Amtrak and more if you count in Metrolink.

If you have United Club or travel Business Class on Amtrak, you can wait in the dedicated Metropolitan lounge.

I use this method due to more flight options and price out of LAX vs SNA.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 7:56 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by thejaredhuang
I've gotten from Irvine to LAX in as little as 35 minutes and as much as 2 hours.
This.

What time of day are you looking at?

If during the morning commute, plan for 2 hours. The rest of the day is usually not so bad, even the afternoon into evening rush hours.

I work in Irvine. Do not take the 405! Use the 5 to 91 to 605 to 105 instead. I've done this in 40 minutes several times leaving around 3 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 9:09 am

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium

This is a very popular flight - I take it all the time when I go from Orange County to NYC. It is $486 roundtrip in coach in May. The problem you have is that the one-way fare on this flight is very expensive ($735). Worst case, book a round trip.

CPUs are tough, even as GS. Orange County people often purchase first class.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bldr1k
This is a very popular flight - I take it all the time when I go from Orange County to NYC. It is $486 roundtrip in coach in May. The problem you have is that the one-way fare on this flight is very expensive ($735). Worst case, book a round trip.

CPUs are tough, even as GS. Orange County people often purchase first class.
THANKS! Oh this is exactly what's going on. I bought a one-way ticket from EWR to SFO a while back because my return dates were not clear and there was a cheap fare with RPU space.

My plan was to buy a separate SFO-LAX, SNA-EWR ticket, but if I price everything together, the SNA-EWR leg is only $325 in V or $624 in Z. I guess because of competition, the EWR-{LAX,SFO} legs are usually not more expensive for one-way tickets.

I wonder if UA will allow me to add these legs to my existing ticket w/o a change fee or losing my upgrade on the outbound. I'll call the 1k desk.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 10:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I guess because of competition, the EWR-{LAX,SFO} legs are usually not more expensive for one-way tickets.
It's complex. Some fares they will sell the OW as a half RT, some they will not. For example, the very cheap P fares on SFO/LAX - EWR are not available as one-ways.

I wonder if UA will allow me to add these legs to my existing ticket w/o a change fee or losing my upgrade on the outbound. I'll call the 1k desk.
Theoretically they will reprice the itinerary and charge a change fee. You might get the change fee waived, but you'll only keep the cheap outbound if the original fare bucket is still available (and fare restrictions are met). A competent agent can definitely keep the upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.