Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Bidding for MP "Once in a Lifetime" Experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2016, 10:07 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.

I'm sure all MP members get these emails.

I usually ignore them.

This one was to watch Team USA in Rio. The package includes BF tickets to GRU and then economy class flight from GRU to city airport in Rio, 4 nights accommodation and "pre-selected" tickets to "sought after" Olympic events.

I clicked the link and the current bid is over 400k RDMs.

Who blows miles on these "experiences?"
Old Apr 23, 2016, 10:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by wco81
Never, actually.

People with lots of miles and nothing to spend them on?
Old Apr 23, 2016, 11:11 am

Programs: UA 2MM

I don't think that is out of line. 400k RDM is worth perhaps $8,000. Package includes 2 business class tix, accommodation, event tickets, ... There may well be higher bids.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

People who accumulate miles while traveling for work?
Old Apr 24, 2016, 12:47 am

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
The amazing thing for me is the variability in prices:

Here's a simulator experience that went for 86K: https://exclusives.mileageplus.com/Listing/Details/2552932/BehindtheScenes-Flight-Simulator-experience

Same dates, but with a hotel added, and it's currently 401K: https://exclusives.mileageplus.com/Listing/Details/2492435/Travel-for-a-BehindtheScenes-Flight-Simulator-experience
Old Apr 24, 2016, 10:30 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
I think I bid about 50,000 miles (and won) for First Class to Seattle, one night hotel, a few meals, and a tour of the Boeing Facility to see the construction of the 777. I thought it was a good deal.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by dordal
The amazing thing for me is the variability in prices:

Here's a simulator experience that went for 86K: https://exclusives.mileageplus.com/L...tor-experience

Same dates, but with a hotel added, and it's currently 401K: https://exclusives.mileageplus.com/L...tor-experience
The one going for 401K went out in an email blast. That might explain the high price. I've never been part of any miles earning promotions but i seem to get every email from united about everything else...
Old Apr 24, 2016, 3:41 pm

Programs: Continental
Current bid on this one is 401K

https://exclusives.mileageplus.com/L..._date=20160420
Old Aug 30, 2016, 6:48 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
Sometimes you get lucky...

I check through them once a month... didn't see anything I was interested in until recently. My wife likes Cirque, so bid on some VIP Behind the Scenes tix for their show here in VA and won (cost me 12k RDM), which is a decent valuation as these tix go for $495 each.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 7:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
I had already booked flights and hotel for 4 family members and I to go out to San Francisco to watch the Patriots vs 49ers game in November (we're all huge Pats fans). The last thing we needed were game tickets, but we were holding off because they were $300+ each. Just last week I was perusing the MileagePlus Exclusives page and saw what I thought was an amazing offer: 2 tickets in a fully catered Luxury Suite for 25,000 miles. I was able to snag 3 packages (6 tickets total) for a total cost of 75,000 miles. For me this was a no-brainer. I had plenty of miles to spare and this will save all of us quite a bit of money out of pocket. And these luxury suites can go up to $60,000 per game!

I think it will be a priceless experience and was happy to spend miles rather than cash.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 5:50 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Hmm, not bad at all, 25k miles is like $500 at 2 cpm.

But I wonder if it will really be luxury suites or something like club seats.

I checked on Golden State Warriors tickets and the bids are like 80k miles.

Ridiculous.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Also, considering, I just got an extra 120,000rdm for doing nothing more than flying like i always do from the "Change is in the air promotion"

Spending them on things that are otherwise unachievable is nice IMO

If I could have gotten the time off from work SPG had an offer to be in the hospitality suite for Mercedes at the USGP in Austin this weekend. You can't buy something like that at any price....short of a seasonal F1 sponsor package
Old Oct 31, 2016, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
Hmm, not bad at all, 25k miles is like $500 at 2 cpm. But I wonder if it will really be luxury suites or something like club seats.
The seats are in a luxury suite with a capacity of 18 people... and I have 6 of those tickets . I also found out that the suite is fully catered with beer and food! ^

Originally Posted by Hipplewm

Spending them on things that are otherwise unachievable is nice IMO

You can't buy something like that at any price.
I agree! Luxury suites at Levi's Stadium go for $20k-60k per game so I thought it was a steal! I think sometimes you have to look past redemption rates and focus on the memories you're making. I just spent nearly half a million IHG points for sideline seats to the Pats vs. Cincinnati game and it was well worth it.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 3:31 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA GS 22 million,AA 1m ,Hilton Li fetime diamond,marriott lifetime platinum hyatt diamond

I usually ignore them.

This one was to watch Team USA in Rio. The package includes BF tickets to GRU and then economy class flight from GRU to city airport in Rio, 4 nights accommodation and "pre-selected" tickets to "sought after" Olympic events.

I do. 20-30 times . Don't regret one experience. Sure I have a lot of miles, but the majority of these experiences you can't buy if you wanted to. Whether I overbid or "stole" it (rarely), I don't regret one bid. Priceless experiences shared with loved ones....memories of a lifetime.... yeah, I "blow my miles" on them!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.