Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Functionality issues/questions with "New" (Fall 2015) United.com

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 7, 2016, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: physioprof
Originally Posted by Kmxu
If you want to use the old site, as mentioned upthread, you clear the cache and history on your browser and type in "ual.com". This should work.
As of Oct. 26, 2015 it no longer seems possible to access the old version of the website.

Related thread
Consolidated: Is united.com or parts of it down?

Workaround for Login & "We’re sorry, but united.com was unable to complete your request." Problems:

Close United tab, clear browser cache, and delete all United cookies. Instead of logging back in using the home page yellow tile, click on the "Reservations -> Change or view reservations" link, and then login using the "MileagePlus: Sign in or join" link on the upper right of the page.
Print Wikipost

Functionality issues/questions with "New" (Fall 2015) United.com

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2016, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by CMK10
I'm trying to use miles to upgrade an itinerary, it keeps telling me:

Guess I have to call now
Have you tried the old fave of deleting cookies/history/cache/operating system/facebook/twitter/snapchat/instagram/telegram/phonogram/strippergram all while standing on one leg and whistling the national anthem? That might do it. The strange things you have to do to make up for United's IT fails.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 7:56 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Same problem with a RPU upgrade request for a friend. Afrer I cleared history and cookies, the error was still the same. Has this part of the system behaved errounesouly recently?
Happy travels.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Kmxu
Same problem with a RPU upgrade request for a friend. Afrer I cleared history and cookies, the error was still the same. Has this part of the system behaved errounesouly recently?
Happy travels.
My impression:

If the ticket has not been changed, then RPU online upgrade would go through.

If you have made changes to a ticket, then you get an error message when you try to apply RPU.

Old Oct 18, 2016, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Looking at my reservations, did they move "Cancel/Change flight" to where "View" used to be. Or am I imagining it? And if so, anyone know why? It seems an odd place to move that to.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Looking at my reservations, did they move "Cancel/Change flight" to where "View" used to be. Or am I imagining it? And if so, anyone know why? It seems an odd place to move that to.
You are not imagining it. They moved it a week or two ago. Still makes me crazy to fight against habit when reviewing reservations.

No idea why...change for the sake of change, probably.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 11:53 am

Programs: 1 thousand
I know that trying to change flights online is living dangerously, but for once the "change flights" link didn't error out after inputting new desired dates/destinations.

In fact I made it all the way through to payment ($300 change fee), at which point I got an error, and was brought back to the payment page. Tried again, still no dice, so gave up.

I've now discovered that 2 $300 change fees have appeared on my credit card, I wonder if that's just the pre-auth or whether they will actually post. (And also a $1.00 fee for unknown reasons.)

Further notes: it's an international ticket, fared as AAA-BBB + CCC-DDD (AAA and DDD in the USA, BBB and CCC in Europe, with CCC-DDD including a 14 hour overnight layover in the origin. I tried to move both days of CCC-DDD forward by a total of 2 days).

All the flights are fairly empty so I'll probably wait until Monday to call / see if the pre-auths actually post.

(To be fair: the online change flights link has allowed me to make free SDC-eligible changes on US domestics, i.e. it works better than the usual SDC functionality in some cases, but is also only available if you're not checked in - but is available if you uncheckin flights.)
Old Oct 30, 2016, 12:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by televisor
I know that trying to change flights online is living dangerously, ...
I have one one simple rule, never ever do online changes involving partner flights.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 5:57 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Checked in on United.com for flights tomorrow and I was unable to change my seats. It kept giving me an error message that the seatmap couldn't be displayed and I had to see an agent.

Eventually I re-checked in on the app and it worked.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 8:45 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Had a Fare Lock that was supposed to expire at 9am EDT today. I logged in to check on it at 9:30pm, and it was showing a clock of 0:00:00 for the remaining time to purchase.

Did some fare research, some alternate dates, did some FT posting, came back at 10:45, and it was still available for purchase at 0:00:00 remaining.

It let me complete the transaction.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by exerda
It let me complete the transaction.
Believe they give you some grace period. I recall successfully paying for a farelock a couple of hours after the time had technically expired.
Of course, it might not be their "kindness" but just a glitch!
Old Nov 5, 2016, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Noticed another stupid change to .bomb this morning - the filters section has been moved from the left side to a minimized bar on the bottom of the screen. When you click on the filters the bar now pops up and covers the search results (whereas before there was no overlay).

Significantly less useful and functional in the new iteration
Old Nov 5, 2016, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Two things as I've been using United.com a ton this week to check on award tickets back to the US for the holidays:

1. The big banner at the top after starting your search is finally gone. No more advertisements for the stupid MileagePlus card. But this now means that the blue bar at the top is very thin so if you want to get back to United.com you have to be a little more careful clicking on the United logo to get there. The banner used to be so big that you could just fumble your cursor up to the general area of the United logo and click and you'd get back to the home page.

2. Don't bother attempting to click on a date in the award calendar. It will always come back and say no search results found. You have to back out to the home page, manually change the date of your search there and then, viola, results appear.

-RM
Old Nov 5, 2016, 8:59 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I had a new experience with applying GPUs to my annual Australian work trip. I am flying YVR-LAX-MEL and returning SYD-SFO-YVR. I found R space on all legs except YVR-LAX, which is on a CR7. I was happy to waitlist for that one, since there's not much difference.

After accepting this waitlist on the first leg, I was able to move my seats into the front cabin for LAX-MEL and SYD-SFO, but not SFO-YVR. That seat stayed in coach, even though there was R space available.

After a call in, the phone agent was able to properly process the upgrade on the last leg. This is a new, and hopefully not recurring, web site glitch.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Silver
RPUs CANNOT be used on EWR-HNL?

According to everywhere on United.com, as well as threads I've read here, one should be able to use RPU on EWR/HNL and back. However, for every date I'm searching, it is now allowed... What's up with this?
Attached Images  
Old Nov 10, 2016, 6:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by nycflyer222
According to everywhere on United.com, as well as threads I've read here, one should be able to use RPU on EWR/HNL and back. However, for every date I'm searching, it is now allowed... What's up with this?
You are searching with the RPU upgrade option and this is just a IT failure for this route. Reported before in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-merged.html and other threads. You will have to search without this option and do the upgrade request the old fashioned way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.