Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Why is this UA fare so expensive?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2019, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Potential reasons for high fares
-- the lower fare classes are sold out
-- the lower fare classes are not available due to fare rule restrictions
..... day of the week travel restrictions, Saturday night stay requirement, minimum stay requirement, advance purchase requirements, ...
-- desired fares are not combinable
-- discount fares not available for one-ways, only roundtrips Why are international OWs so expensive, such high fare classes?
-- discount inventory for codeshare marketing airline is gone, but flight operator may have discount fare (or the reverse)
-- Plating -- airlines restrict the best fare to their ticket stock, meaning ticketing that flight on another ticket stock will be more expensive
-- Airline is figuring it will still sell (due to last minute purchases0 even if the competition is lower earlier. Such as peak leisure periods or special events.
-- Airline is placing a premium on non-stop (monopoly?) versus alternative connecting routings

If you find an expensive flight, start by checking the fare class and compare to the less expensive option -- that generally will explain a lot.

Archive thread
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Why is this UA fare so expensive?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2023, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Sykes
This article on advance purchase timing seems like the best analysis I've found so far: https://www.cheapair.com/blog/the-be...o-buy-flights/ ... they found that 21 to 127 days in advance is optimal, with really the middle of that window being the best.
21 is a common advance purchase (AP) period, Inside AP window (dates can vary), fares change even if inventories still exist. Like jsloan had posted upthread, there is absolutely no hard and fast rules, but being outside of AP period is optimal.

United has way enough data points to interpret the buying behavior of the general public. Most people buying far out tend to have inflexible dates, and usually around major holidays and popular destinations, so why open/file discounted/deep discounted fare buckets?
jsloan, SPN Lifer and ZenFlyer like this.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K | Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by jsloan
You may sometimes find a good deal 3-6 months out, but there is no hard and fast rule. Note that even though I gave a broad range in my suggestion, there have still been several counterexamples. There really is no single best strategy.
This is probably the most true statement in this thread
I've seen every combination: flights that get cheaper close in, flights that only get more expensive close to departure, event-driven flights that only got more expensive until the week before and then unexpectedly dropped in price (which is when it's great to take advantage of the 'no change fee' policy and get some money back), etc. The only time I look super far out is to see if there's saver availability and book speculatively.

Originally Posted by Kacee
The US majors definitely have very different approaches to fare pricing (though that doesn't mean they won't move in concert on any given route for competitive purposes). My personal take, fwiw, is that UA is the most sophisticated (by a fairly large margin) and AA just makes one bone-headed mistake after another.
Agree on this point re: UA's pricing sophistication, which unfortunately is not typically to our benefit...
jsloan, SPN Lifer, LAXOGG and 4 others like this.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 6:32 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingRobot
I'm in the process of planning out about 10 trips for June-Dec this year and have noticed that for every international route I look at, United is 2x (or more) the price of American or Delta for direct fights and sometimes up to 3x the price when there is a single stop on the way in discount business class. All from LAX. Destinations like St. Thomas (not technically international?), London, Sydney, Tokyo, Geneva, Rio.

Additionally, everything is waitlisted for PlusPoint upgrades (no skip waitlist), and when I look at points pricing it is 200k-300k points EACH WAY for LAX-IAD-STT or LAX-IAH-STT... which seems crazy for 737 seats on a plane that is completely empty. Additionally, zero availability in saver fares (IN) or PZ that I could use a GS.

It is starting to feel like United cranked the dial a little too hard this year. As a GS, I'm really trying to stay loyal to United, but this pricing is making it really hard to justify.
I just saw the opposite:

I am pricing BNA - MAD in J in September 7, return October 4:

UA: Some at $3300, most at $3800, a couple at $5,500
DL: Almost all at $5,700
AA: every combo on the app shows $11,700 - $11,900 but one that is $5,500.

The same AA/BA combo of flights on the BA website price at $4400.

I just checked the website instead of the app and AA pricing are all $11,900.

How can they all be so different?
Old Jan 23, 2023, 6:38 pm

Programs: A few here and there
My take

So I’ve experienced this over the last year since travel has begun to cold back. I believe united has no motivation to offer cheaper fares as planes are booked solid with limited capacity

the other issue is this. With no change fees just book the flight. If it comes down closer to departure just change the flight or cancel and use the travel credit to rebook. I’ve done this about 10 times in ve the past year. With the removal of change fees I think it’s completely thrown their revenue model into a new world
Old Jan 23, 2023, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Originally Posted by angetenar
If you are based in LAX, try looking at flights out of SFO as well, and then tacking on a short repositioning flight. For example, there was the $2.2k SFO-FCO R/T J fare a few months ago, but nothing similar out of LAX. On the topic of award flights, I've never booked an award that wasn't at a saver rate, so keep looking I guess?
Yes that one did show up but thought this funny as being in LAS I look to position to LAX for a deal...

I am in YVR now after flying back on KLM. Bought a YVR-AMS-YVR almost a year ago to position up north.

You just need to grab things as you see them if you are flexible.
I think the Award pricing nuts but considering the devaluations all airlines have had they see the need to charge more miles.
Have to hope the JN deals come back.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
I’ve been monitoring LAX-JNB flights at the end of August. For the flights I want to take, UA wants over $15K.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by cfischer
There is some great UA pricing right now, paid and w/ miles. You just need to find it. With change fees gone ... booking early pays off over and over again. It's been great to be honest ... haven't flown that cheaply in many years.
I'm not sure I know what you mean by "just need to find it" wrt pricing. If you need or want to go to Paris (just as an example) then finding a great fare to Rome is irrelevant.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer

Because DL and AA aren't as bullish as UA is, which AA/DL's decisions are also reflected in their financials. And as much as people want to say UA's success is due to death of the product by a thousand "Kirby Kuts", TRASM doesn't grow by 26% because of cutting the product. I don't think many people are interested in following AA's example right now when it comes to pricing decisions.
Q4 operating income:

UA $1.39B
DL $1.43B

DL was slightly ahead in Q3, too
Dyce likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
That begs the question why AA and DL apparently see the issue from a very different standpoint if their J fares are showing half of what UA wants.
I'm spending a lot of time on the AA forum lately and there's lots of complaining how expensive fares are, as well as about lack of international award space. I haven't looked but I would bet money that the same is true on the DL forum. (And don't get me started on Qantas . . . ) I'm not doubting the OP's experience at all, but my sense is that demand is currently high on all the major airlines, and which one you find to be more affordable will likely depend on the specific routes, timeframes, etc. that you are looking at.
jsloan and FlytheTail like this.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 10:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Demand is high and pilots (and therefore available seats) are scarce. Hope we see it start to come down soon but, UA does seem to be drastically higher than AA, which is facing the same pressures.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
…UA simply is not interested in selling discount seats 6+ months ahead of departure. There's always time to offer a sale later, but if they start out with a low price and then demand comes in hotter than expected, they can't recoup that revenue….
I agree w/ this. United has a pretty good-sized group trying to figure out how to maximize revenue. People buying airfares in the distant future aren’t generally business travelers. There’s probably a lot of people who want to have some comfort in planning ahead and UA is capitalizing on that. I don’t usually book more than two months in advance domestically.

Why is UA more expensive than others? Just different revenue management. I’m pretty sure UA is aware of the price differentials (and may eventually text) but I think UA believes (as each airlines does) that they are doing it right. Day-to-day differences far out on a particular flight when demand is low aren’t as important as what happens closer to the flight when most of the seats start to sell. To put it another way, UA doesn't care if they hook some or lose some far in advance - the bulk of the revenue they’re looking for will be closer to departure. Lower fares are generally a part of that later overall revenue management scheme.

With the drop of change fees, exchanging early-bought tickets for cheaper trips is now a game, but the added cost is one’s time in keeping track of (sometimes numerous) credits. I sort of figure UA’s flight credit scheme has resulted in some loyalty to UA (they are holding a lot of credits for people ) - that probably makes up for change fee drop. People buy new tickets. Or the credits expires unused.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and jcturnbull like this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jan 23, 2023 at 11:17 pm
Old Jan 23, 2023, 11:04 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by angetenar
If you are based in LAX, try looking at flights out of SFO as well, and then tacking on a short repositioning flight. For example, there was the $2.2k SFO-FCO R/T J fare a few months ago, but nothing similar out of LAX. On the topic of award flights, I've never booked an award that wasn't at a saver rate, so keep looking I guess?
I do this all the time and have taken the short flight down to LAX from SFO in my case if I find a substantially better fare. FWIW the SFO -FCO fares are now at least twice that price for a J fare (at least when I need to go). I have yet to price it out of LAX but I am not optimistic.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 12:56 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
When booking 1-4 weeks in advance UA is more competitive. I’m looking at LAX-MCO vv in June and UA is astronomical (as is DL in C+). I wouldn’t normally book this early but I have no flexibility, which the airlines are counting on. Ended up booking MCO-LAX on B6 this week. Three seats + Even More Space upgrades was several hundred dollars cheaper than UA (and we get E+ for free). I’m waiting to see what happens with pricing on the outbound. Fingers crossed it drops on UA or DL.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bitterproffit
I just saw the opposite:

I am pricing BNA - MAD in J in September 7, return October 4:

UA: Some at $3300, most at $3800, a couple at $5,500
DL: Almost all at $5,700
AA: every combo on the app shows $11,700 - $11,900 but one that is $5,500.

The same AA/BA combo of flights on the BA website price at $4400.

I just checked the website instead of the app and AA pricing are all $11,900.

How can they all be so different?
Fare bucket inventory variability. It looks like you are looking at First Class fares on AA instead of Business Class. All 3 majors have matching biz fares (exact same $775 base fares) for roughly $3360 roundtrip all-in (DL in Z class, AA in I class, and UA in P class). The October 4th return has bucket inventory in cheapest biz class on all 3 carriers, but you need to adjust outbound by a day or two to find flights with availability in cheapest buckets on other 2 carriers. This highlights the issue when cherry picking dates and not doing a deeper dive on fare filings and bucket inventory availability. Carriers often have matching fare filings, but bucket inventory may not be open on any given day and you may need to tweak departure/return dates in order to find flights with fare bucket inventory available in corresponding cheapest fare buckets. This is where tools like Google Flights/ITA Matrix (in flexible dates mode) come in handy.

jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 24, 2023 at 5:58 am
Old Jan 24, 2023, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
:-) You buy different tickets than most of the rest of us, and I suspect you define “cheaply” differently too. Last year was brutally expensive — and I spent about $130 per PQF. So far this year, my UA purchases are coming in at a much more reasonable $75 / PQF.
Don't mistake my OPM flying with my personal flying
jsloan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.