Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Why is this UA fare so expensive?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2019, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Potential reasons for high fares
-- the lower fare classes are sold out
-- the lower fare classes are not available due to fare rule restrictions
..... day of the week travel restrictions, Saturday night stay requirement, minimum stay requirement, advance purchase requirements, ...
-- desired fares are not combinable
-- discount fares not available for one-ways, only roundtrips Why are international OWs so expensive, such high fare classes?
-- discount inventory for codeshare marketing airline is gone, but flight operator may have discount fare (or the reverse)
-- Plating -- airlines restrict the best fare to their ticket stock, meaning ticketing that flight on another ticket stock will be more expensive
-- Airline is figuring it will still sell (due to last minute purchases0 even if the competition is lower earlier. Such as peak leisure periods or special events.
-- Airline is placing a premium on non-stop (monopoly?) versus alternative connecting routings

If you find an expensive flight, start by checking the fare class and compare to the less expensive option -- that generally will explain a lot.

Archive thread
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Why is this UA fare so expensive?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2023, 3:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by FlyingRobot
"Saver" awards all but vanished when United switch to dynamic pricing on the points. Seems loosely based on $ cost of the flight now, although I do see some deals last minute.
correct. I used to book flights with points 4-6 months out, and I could find confirmable upgrade space in J. Now the only deals I find are close in, like 3 days before departure.
SPN Lifer and dcpdxtrans like this.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Based on what? Have they announced as much or are you guessing based on something? In the 20+ years I've been flying United, booking way in advance was always the best way to get low fares and Saver awards. It used to be that going to ExpertFlyer and looking up rate codes would return all sorts of 21+, 30+, and 60+ rate codes. I still see 50+% price variance on AA and DL, but UA only has about 5-10% variance for advance purchase fares.
You're based in LA, one of UA's most competitive markets. This trend has been obvious in most of the rest of the country for years. UA was quite obviously using what was essentially an Oklahoma-shaped graph, if you will -- high prices early, then they'd drop at some date, hover around the low point, and then increase again prior to departure. And even 60+ -- which I've only ever seen on international fares and most often discount business only -- is still within the 3 month to 6 week window I laid out. (I have seen a very small number of ultra-long advance purchase fares for discount business, which is why I mentioned the Premium Deals thread).

Originally Posted by Kacee
Agree that UA is likely holding off on discounting, and that we may indeed see cheaper fares later, but OP mentioned flights as early as June, and I don't think it's too early at all to be checking prices for international itineraries four to five months out. Fares for European summer travel never really dropped last year. In fact, I would advise anyone who sees a good fare for Europe or Asia through September or October to grab it right now. That does not mean I advocate buying an overpriced UA ticket, however, quite the opposite.
Not a myth at all. There's quite a bit of data on this question. Surveys have shown the best time to buy domestic tix is about 60 days out. International it's a bit longer, and tends to vary by region, but for Asia and Europe it's about 120 days out.
June is just barely in range of where I'd be looking. (I've been looking recently -- in vain -- for PZ space around Memorial Day myself). And, you're right about last summer's European fares -- and obviously UA is hoping the same thing will happen this year. I suspect they'll fail, but even if I'm wrong, if UA is 2x the price of the competition, there are three logical options: (a) fly the competition; (b) wait to see if UA drops; (c) go somewhere else. Option (d), "Pay it anyway because it might get worse," seems foolish to me -- and I say that as a UAL investor.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
"Saver" awards all but vanished when United switch to dynamic pricing on the points. Seems loosely based on $ cost of the flight now, although I do see some deals last minute.
They are definitely less than back in the day, but I wouldn't say "all but vanished". Depending on route, MP level, & time of year, they can be widely available at "saver" award rates...UA.com even denotes it as such. YMMV.

Old Jan 23, 2023, 3:24 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Because DL and AA aren't as bullish as UA is, which AA/DL's decisions are also reflected in their financials. And as much as people want to say UA's success is due to death of the product by a thousand "Kirby Kuts", TRASM doesn't grow by 26% because of cutting the product. I don't think many people are interested in following AA's example right now when it comes to pricing decisions.
The US majors definitely have very different approaches to fare pricing (though that doesn't mean they won't move in concert on any given route for competitive purposes). My personal take, fwiw, is that UA is the most sophisticated (by a fairly large margin) and AA just makes one bone-headed mistake after another.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
And in my experience, I almost never get better prices booking early, to the point where I've mostly stopped looking. And clearly OP is seeing the same thing -- as are the number of other people who post something similar every couple of weeks. Whatever routes you're flying, keep flying them. But it's certainly not an "urban myth" that the sweet spot for pricing is somewhere between ~3 months and ~3 weeks prior to departure. UA does everything it can to make it difficult to predict that, of course, but it's a good starting point.
I don't choose to loan UA money at 0% interest in fear of some future price increase.
To this point I am certainly NOT feeling like I need to jump on a J fare today for a trip next October. I figure it can't get much higher anyhow. Having said that I have been burned and I am sure others can give their sad stories on this as well. I have one particular horror story on a SFO to MUC fare from a few years back...

Last edited by nomad420; Jan 23, 2023 at 3:37 pm
Old Jan 23, 2023, 3:29 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by angetenar
For example, there was the $2.2k SFO-FCO R/T J fare a few months ago, but nothing similar out of LAX.
And when you see West Coast to Europe for $2.5k or less, jump on it! I bought two of these (one UA ticketed, one BA ticketed), and two of the prior year's bargain TATL J fare, which was priced around $1400.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and northinsouth like this.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 3:33 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
Absolutely… prices in march/ April are through the roof from south florida … many places are $500 + one way!
Old Jan 23, 2023, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by jcturnbull
FWIW regarding advanced pricing, I bought business(/first/whatever you wanna call what they market, but it's a polaris wide body) RT tickets EWR to Hawaii over Christmas last year near schedule-open (early 2022) for arond 3k pp. Monitored the prices all the way to departure. Business class never went lower (bought the last two of the fare bucket) than about 4k. A couple spikes to 6k. Economy, on the other hand, started out at 1200 pp and dropped below 500 close-in. So, maybe dkc715 is onto something that they realized they sold too many cheap fares early on. That said, I recently booked a transcon for like 700 in P for mid-June two weeks ago. Now I don't see anything below $1,000 for EWR-LAX. But then again, SFO-EWR is 2200-3400 mid-June, probably because they feel they have strong pricing power? I think the far-out pricing could be route and seasonally dependent such that cheaper fares can be found if you know when and where to look.
I mean this is pricing 101. If people are buying at the current price, prices continue to go up. Else you test the waters with a slightly lower price. by releasing a couple seats in a lower bucket. If those go pretty quick after being released you know 1) people are watching that flight and 2) you're in the ball park of what the market is going to bear currently. If people buy that lower price you go back up to see if you can get a higher price from the next buyers (and if there's multiple people watching, good chance you will do to the psychological effect of "missing out" on that lower price thinking it would continue to go lower). Else if people don't bite you continue to repeat that process of releasing lower fares until you figure out where people will buy at. Now do that for the close to 1 million flights populated in your schedule at any one time. The art of revenue management is figuring out when exactly to make those changes to be wiling to fill your plane with lower fares and by how much you need to do it.

And of course with the use of continuous pricing you can fine tune those price points even more to more accurately capture the going rate for individual seats.

Originally Posted by unitedbusiness
Absolutely… prices in march/ April are through the roof from south florida … many places are $500 + one way!
Spring break time when bookings are well ahead of pace by 20-40% over 2019 same period.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
If another full service carrier offers better fares, I say book it! Chances are the product will be better than what UA offers, too. Shed the shackles of UA status and get off the hamster wheel!.
LOL totally the case. I have migrated a few times away from the "hamster wheel" over the years. Currently I have a couple of TPAC and TATLs coming up and since I am booking J class I don't care who I fly (well not totally). To your point the chances are more often than not you'll end with a better product. Certain of my domestics runs I still run with UA because of schedule and occasional pricing but even that is becoming less common.
dcpdxtrans likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
This is not complicated.

If you want to book fares 6-12 months out, go for it. If United is selling 2x higher than others, book others, vice versa. If you are inclined to stay with UA, despite the higher prices, UA thanks you.

While UA may have some competitive fares far out in certain markets, by and large, UA does not file discounted fare buckets for those extended periods.

Fares are governed by fare rule.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
There is some great UA pricing right now, paid and w/ miles. You just need to find it. With change fees gone ... booking early pays off over and over again. It's been great to be honest ... haven't flown that cheaply in many years.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by Roger Lococco
Am I misremembering United Saver awards in Business from the United States to Asia as being 60k miles round trip in the past?
The rt price was 90k
SPN Lifer and Roger Lococco like this.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 5:45 pm

You should always book your flights 3-6 months in advance, it's the best way to get cheaper rates.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
There is some great UA pricing right now, paid and w/ miles. You just need to find it. With change fees gone ... booking early pays off over and over again. It's been great to be honest ... haven't flown that cheaply in many years.
:-) You buy different tickets than most of the rest of us, and I suspect you define “cheaply” differently too. Last year was brutally expensive — and I spent about $130 per PQF. So far this year, my UA purchases are coming in at a much more reasonable $75 / PQF.

Originally Posted by maxoutdeals
You should always book your flights 3-6 months in advance, it's the best way to get cheaper rates.
No, it’s really, really not. I promise. It might be true on certain routes at certain times of the year, but it’s absolutely not some global panacea. The airlines are really good at this. If there really were a best possible pattern to purchasing airfare, they’d change their pricing strategies to eliminate it. You may sometimes find a good deal 3-6 months out, but there is no hard and fast rule. Note that even though I gave a broad range in my suggestion, there have still been several counterexamples. There really is no single best strategy.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 6:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by jsloan
:-) You buy different tickets than most of the rest of us, and I suspect you define “cheaply” differently too. Last year was brutally expensive — and I spent about $130 per PQF. So far this year, my UA purchases are coming in at a much more reasonable $75 / PQF.
I've had a pretty good year too, mainly because there have been a lot of deals in paid business class. My $/PQF is probably more like $500, but that's because I've spent a lot of time on $2,000 international business class roundtrips. (Having said that, it's been a terrible year for some of my clients with truly inflexible travel requirements who have gotten stuck with $10k roundtrips because they were the only reasonable option.)

This article on advance purchase timing seems like the best analysis I've found so far: https://www.cheapair.com/blog/the-be...o-buy-flights/ ... they found that 21 to 127 days in advance is optimal, with really the middle of that window being the best.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.