Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA initiates Account Security Update (Security Q&A authentication added 2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA initiates Account Security Update (Security Q&A authentication added 2016)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2016, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Michael D
I use a program called "Cookies" on my Mac which allows me to manage my cookies. In particular it will allow you to choose which cookies not to delete. It has proven useful for deleting all the cookies except for the ones you need to verify your identity at a particular site.
If you use Safari, you can manage individual cookies via Preferences.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
Originally Posted by TomMM
If you use Safari, you can manage individual cookies via Preferences.
At a sub website level? Delete specific cookies from United.com not all?
Old Aug 11, 2016, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Michael D
At a sub website level? Delete specific cookies from United.com not all?
Yes, go to:

Preferences->Privacy

Under "Cookies and other we site data" select Details
Old Aug 11, 2016, 10:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Got my first challegne just now -- successfully answered questions.

Each browser needs to be validated.

Be careful with the scroll wheel -- twice in the process as I scrolled the screen, I actually scrolled the answer which messed up the response and lead to an account reset step. But a quick click on the "reset message" and all was well.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 11, 2016 at 11:03 pm Reason: update
Old Aug 11, 2016, 11:03 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

Each browser needs to be validity.

Be careful with the scroll wheel -- twice in the process as I scrolled the screen, I actually scrolled the answer which messed up the response and lead to an account reset step. But a quick quick on the "reset message" and all was well.
I was challenged as well but it looks like United has some work to do...

Using my iPad and accessing via safari: challenged, answered and allowed in

Using my iPad and accessing via United's app: challenged, answered where I was told that "something went wrong" and to try again. Tried again with the same result. Tapped the home icon on the app and to my surprise that even after being told that "something went wrong", I was logged in and able to access my account, reservations and etc

Using my iPhone and accessing via United's app: challenged and the same "results" as with my iPad
Old Aug 11, 2016, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS
Just got my challenge when logging in with my iPad.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 11:18 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I got mine this morning - forgot answers - the questions are so US centric - no one in the rest of the world teaches 'Band'!
Old Aug 12, 2016, 12:38 am

Programs: UA 1MM (former 1K, Delta Platinum))
One question was favorite pizza topping. Anchovies weren't even a choice. Huh?
Old Aug 12, 2016, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Same here. It would be nice if the annoying banner at the top wouldn't be displayed after answering the questions.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by UA Security Insider
For members who have completed their security updates, they will be asked to answer two of their security questions the first time they sign in on or after August 12, 2016. Members will need to do this each time they sign in from a device or browser that we don’t recognize to further protect their account.
May I ask a question? Is United recommending that we document on paper our security questions and answers so we can go back to look them up later on as needed?
Old Aug 12, 2016, 6:55 am

Programs: UA MM
.bomb is so screwed up that I frequently have to clear cookies to make a booking. You can tell it uses cookies in that it often remembers a previous search you did. Symptom is you are booking a rt and after selecting the outbound flight you get a meaningless error.

So I suppose every time I do that I'll have to pull up my file that lists the answers (because I certainly can't remember my answers to someone else's questions) and verify again?
Old Aug 12, 2016, 8:51 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Someone really needs to explain to UA IT:
  1. How account security questions & answers actually should work (e.g. no canned answers, and preferably no canned questions, either)
  2. What two-factor authentication actually is (no, answering security questions is NOT 2FA)
Old Aug 12, 2016, 11:47 am

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
Originally Posted by UA Security Insider
Hi everyone,

We wanted to share a security update with you regarding the login process for your MileagePlus accounts. As you are already aware, the security of our members' MileagePlus® accounts is very important to us. As many of you noticed back in February, members were made aware of changes when signing in, and were prompted to make important security updates. These included updating accounts with a strong password and answering security questions. This was done in preparation of global removal of PINs as a form of authentication, taking place on the evening of August 11, 2016.

For members that have not completed security updates they need to do so in order to access their account on or after August 12, 2016:

For members who have completed their security updates, they will be asked to answer two of their security questions the first time they sign in on or after August 12, 2016. Members will need to do this each time they sign in from a device or browser that we don’t recognize to further protect their account.

The most up-to-date information, including FAQs can be found here. In addition, we realize this is a hot discussion topic, so our security team leads will be available for questions here on this forum over the coming days.

Thank you,

-UA Security Insider
        I'm not sure what kind of position you hold in the company, but if you're reading this - PLEASE communicate to your superiors how absolutely terrible this approach is from a security standpoint. Security questions with pre-selected answers are an absolute joke, as is expecting your customers to verbally provide part of their password in potentially crowded environments (willing to hazard a guess that most UA-savvy only call during IRROPS....at the airport).

Security is important. Proper implementation of security is, however, more important.
        Old Aug 12, 2016, 12:11 pm
        A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

just got my first challenge. Went fine, no problems.

Surprised I remembered the answers I selected.
        Old Aug 12, 2016, 2:27 pm
        Original Poster

Programs: UA GS
        Just called into the GS desk and was on hold for 10 minutes. When agent answered, I was asked two security questions to validate my identity. She indicated that wait times have been caused by the new validation procedures. Has anyone else been asked to prove identity when calling in?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.