Wiki Posts
Search

Tip: Resetting stuck United WiFi

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS
Tip: Resetting stuck United WiFi

Long time reader, first time posting a new thread.

I'm sitting on a TATL and the wifi suddenly started redirecting me to an error page on every webpage. Couldn't logout or even view the flight status on unitedwifi.com - just an error page. FAs unfortunately didn't know how to reset the wifi system, and told me I should request a refund. I was able to successfully reset by connecting to the wifi on my phone, using the "Switch Device" tab to move the paid wifi connection to my phone, and then immediately use "Switch Device" to move it back to my laptop. Works like a charm now. So if you are getting all error pages and the wifi seems to be in a weird state, you might want to switch devices and back to unstick it.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:23 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mtpa
Long time reader, first time posting a new thread.

I'm sitting on a TATL and the wifi suddenly started redirecting me to an error page on every webpage. Couldn't logout or even view the flight status on unitedwifi.com - just an error page. FAs unfortunately didn't know how to reset the wifi system, and told me I should request a refund. I was able to successfully reset by connecting to the wifi on my phone, using the "Switch Device" tab to move the paid wifi connection to my phone, and then immediately use "Switch Device" to move it back to my laptop. Works like a charm now. So if you are getting all error pages and the wifi seems to be in a weird state, you might want to switch devices and back to unstick it.
Do you think that United charges a "change fee" for this device transfer?
Old Feb 11, 2016, 11:17 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by transportprof
Do you think that United charges a "change fee" for this device transfer?
It's a stated benefit of registering as a MP member that the change is free. Register as a non-MP member, and you pay again if you switch.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, Hertz Pres Circle
My experience: United's wifi is an ill-conceived mess and a GUI nightmare.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by 2stepbay
this.

also different log in schemes and different pricing along the same route on different aircraft

No day passes
no monthly passes
no pre-buying wifi

only plus is its sat based so it "works" on international flights.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 3:12 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by jp12687
only plus is its sat based so it "works" on international flights.

Not only this, but it's quite fast to be sat wifi. Of course, the ping time is a bit high, but is almost as fast as my home connection.

Going back on topic, I've had cases where the captain (not the FA) has resetted the on-board wifi. However, this was a DirecTV plane, and not a sat plane. So not sure if they have a switch where they can turn this on and off in the cockpit.

I should mention, even though they resetted the wifi connection several times (it ended up not working but that's a different story) the DirecTV TVs never stopped working. So that's why I believe it may be a separate switch.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 8:45 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 2stepbay
I agree. Everytime I have a problem I send an email to the 1K voice line and tell them the issue. That and dinging them on the surveys that they always send out. Either they are going to fix the problem eventually or they'll stop asking me to fill out surveys. Win either way.

I was on some 739s, and that system was horrible. I had the same kind of connectivity issues. And I also stumbled on the switching devices seemed to help on the stick things.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 9:36 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by joseeantonior
Not only this, but it's quite fast to be sat wifi. Of course, the ping time is a bit high, but is almost as fast as my home connection.

Going back on topic, I've had cases where the captain (not the FA) has resetted the on-board wifi. However, this was a DirecTV plane, and not a sat plane. So not sure if they have a switch where they can turn this on and off in the cockpit.

I should mention, even though they resetted the wifi connection several times (it ended up not working but that's a different story) the DirecTV TVs never stopped working. So that's why I believe it may be a separate switch.
It's never really been fast for me. More annoyingly though, often someone will have WiFi issues while it works for everyone else. The FAs, being used to the WiFi being bad, will reset, thus kicking everyone off. And then we're back to the login lottery...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.