Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CPU Success as a Premier 1K

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:59 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
BOS has traditionally been a bit of an AA stronghold, with a high share of elite and high yield travelers based there. As such, it's not surprising that flights to/from AA-centric cities (DFW, BOS, SNA, etc) a UA elite would find it easier-than-average to get UPGs. Same reason its relatively easier for AA elites based out of SFO to get UPGs than UA elites do.
While SNA may have strong AA service, CPUs for me to/from SNA on UA are basically zilch. I regularly end up #5 or so on the upgrade list upon departure and the overhead bins over E+ hold a sea of 1K luggage tags.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 9:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium
16/16 out of Iah to sfo, lax and YYC since October. Have another roundtrip to lax in couple of weeks. Hope the trend stays!
All on "N" fares
P.S. SNA to SFO has been s nightmare I changed my routing and it cleared.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, WN A+
As a new 1K this year, after platinum and gold before that, this is my third year flying extensively on UA. I have had 19 actual segments this year and am very happy with the upgrade rate so far this year. I buy higher fare classes regularly, so I know that helps. We have also purchased some A and P fares when the difference was reasonable.

I have had 9 flights that were eligible for CPU, and all of them have cleared in advance or at the gate. These were E, M, S and Q fares. The flights were from MCI to connections in hubs at ORD, EWR, IAH, IAD and SFO. Earlier this week I SDC'd twice and still got the upgrade at the gate in ORD and DCA.

While I am sure there are lots of hubs where this is never happening, I have been fortunate this year and am pleasantly surprised based on previous years as Platinum and Gold. As an avid reader of the forum, but not a frequent poster, I wanted to take a minute to provide some positive data as it relates to CPU success rates in 2016.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
My CPU rate since they were introduced is 0%. I don't do much domestic flying, so I tend to apply RPUs to the longer flights, but I probably do about 10 segments a year where I don't apply a RPU and not once has a CPU cleared.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 11:57 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
On CPUs this year; I'm 1/2, or 50%. On GPUs, I'm 4/4 so far.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 2:24 pm

Programs: bonvoy lifetime titanium, not much else anymore
0/8 so far on DEN-LGA, Sunday Afternoon - Thursday Afternoon.

Ski season + elite heavy route...
Old Feb 11, 2016, 5:28 pm

0-5; all IAD-DEN and returns (with one IAD-IAH-DEN thrown in for fun during #Snowzilla). Didnt check fare classes, as the flight is short enough that I am good with E+ and just go with the cheapest ticket.

About to be 0-6 tomorrow - #5 on the list already for a flight that leaves at 7PM...
Old Feb 11, 2016, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
CPU zero for me this year so far. Looks like next Tuesday will clear.

RPU was 4/4.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
24 segments so far this year. I got my first 2 CPU's at 96 hrs in advance today for flights on Monday. I have had other CPU's but all were much closer in or at the gate.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 1:52 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
28 segments this year, about 2 CPUs cleared. I apply RPUs to all my SFO-BOS flights and only 2 cleared as well (out of over 10).

The best was ANA upgraded me from Y to C from MNL to HND. Then I connected on UA for HND-SFO with empty C seats, and of course nothing.

I get better treatment as a 1K on ANA.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
About 14/20 for me this year. EWR/FLL reliably clears (and sometimes I'll SDC to a flight with more availability to clear); FLL-IAH or ORD usually doesn't. Time of week is a big factor.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 2:52 pm

Programs: United
1K with mostly int'l so far this year, so only 13 segments thus far, but surprisingly good CPU results.

0/4 intra-EU on Lufthansa, so they don't count
4/4 GPU (TATL) cleared at booking
4/5 CPU cleared, all hub-to-hub at reasonable times (SFO, DEN, ORD)
CPUs that cleared were at 72-96 hours, almost exclusively W fares.

I was amused that, on the segment that did not clear (a Friday evening ORD-DEN on an A320), there were *59* people (almost 1/2 of the econ seats) on the upgrade list! (I ended at #9.)
Old Apr 7, 2016, 4:11 pm

Programs: 1k
I'm at 16 segments for the year and have cleared 5 upgrades. Currently on a flight SNA-ORD where I ended up fifth on the list.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I am 14/19 so far this year. Fares are all over the board but it helps having CMH as a home.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 10:27 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM & 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I'm about 14/22 on domestic flights with a F cabin this year. Actual rate is probably more like 14/18 as that includes some hopeless cases (switching onto a flight where F is already full). Its a mix of cheapo tickets out of DEN and a bunch of B fares between DEN-BWI.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.