Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What route(s) do you think UA will (or should) cut next?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What route(s) do you think UA will (or should) cut next?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2016, 8:43 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
And I've been on the flight packed when it was a 757 and 767. Like the LHR flight...it is winter. Who wants to visit Berlin when the city is dark and cold?*

*well, I just did. But I had a Berghain birthday to attend.
Monthly, but I rarely fly out as I land connect elsewhere in EU
Old Feb 6, 2016, 8:48 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rmadisonwi
Note to self: If I ever have a reason to travel to Europe in Winter, make sure my return is on a Tuesday in late January.
Late Jan and Feb flights to Europe can be REALLY empty. I actually like visiting Europe in the off-season, everything is just so much less crowded.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 8:51 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by coolbeans202
Late Jan and Feb flights to Europe can be REALLY empty. I actually like visiting Europe in the off-season, everything is just so much less crowded.
+1. I have enjoyed my time in Europe off-season when I have gone (Brussels last year, and Zurich the year before). Even if you are stuck in Y, you will probably be able to find space to get some seats to yourself.

I am heading to GVA and ZRH for a long weekend next week and am looking forward to it, even if the forecast (rain and a dusting of snow) holds up.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Personally, I think they should cut EWR to everywhere.
You are entitled to that opinion. For myself, EWR is my favorite US airport -- except for the now horrid food options, over crowded Terminal A, and the contracted redcoats.

EWR offers many flights, friendly and skilled GAs (esp. compared to LGA & JFK), lots of aircraft and aircraft movements to watch while waiting for one's flight, a reasonable level of VDB options, easy access to both NJ & NYC, decent affordable hotels and parking near airport.

Others complain about EWR, but that's not me. If UA was to cut one more hub - which would be a shame - I'd vote for IAD. Awful airport. Rude staff. Still no rail connection.

Last edited by Indelaware; Feb 6, 2016 at 2:34 pm
Old Feb 6, 2016, 11:16 am

Programs: Delta Plat, UA Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
All my trips out of IAH to europe does not include lhr due to the stupid taxes. Award tickets cost 280$ in business + 50k Miles when it is like $10 +50k to AMS.

But that's because I am a bit more flexible than the normal businessman. Id rather pay the same to get into FRA or AMS because at least I get PQD for that...granted only a bit more.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by coolbeans202
+1 if you don't mind freezing. I went and returned twice in January - easy to get around - good restaurant access, but hella cold.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by JackInThePlane
+1 if you don't mind freezing. I went and returned twice in January - easy to get around - good restaurant access, but hella cold.
I've not found Europe to have exceptionally cold winters, but then I haven't done Scandinavia or Russia off-season. I did visit Ireland one February, and the weather was fine.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 11:42 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by Indelaware
You are entitled to that opinion. For myself, EWR is my favorite US airport -- except for the now horrid food options, over crowded Terminal A, and the contracted redcoats.

EWR offers many flights, friendly and skilled GAs (esp. compared to GA & JFK), lots of aircraft and aircraft movements to watch while waiting for one's flight, a reasonable level of VDB options, easy access to both NJ & NYC, decent affordable hotels and parking near airport.

Others complain about EWR, but that's not me. If UA was to cut one more hub - which would be a shame - I'd vote for IAD. Awful airport. Rude staff. Still no rail connection.
Same here. I love EWR.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by physioprof
Same here. I love EWR.
I think LOVE is a strong word , particularly when it comes to Terminal A - but whenever I have a flight out of that part of EWR, I just hit the UC (which I like a lot more - never that crowded, much quieter) and relax in peace until I have to go to the gate.

As for Terminal C, relative to a lot of airport terminals I've been in around the U.S. - I actually think it's quite nice, and the new food options - there have been some misses, but I really like the beer garden one, and the Vietnamese joint making banh mi was actually pretty solid as well. It's definitely overpriced, but living in NYC / at an airport - I find it hard to complain all that much. The only thing I wish they had kept was the diner and McDonald's. I don't understand the point of the iPads - I feel like that is tech that will be outdated within the next few years - but it's a nice distraction nonetheless. The only terminal I like better is SFO, which has great food options and the best UC in the U.S. (IMO).

My longer-term hope is that they get better transportation to the terminals (the AirTrain sucks) and that the tunnel under the Hudson doesn't collapse before people finally decide that additional lines need to get built.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
LHR slots are important. It is my understanding you use them or lose them.

I can't think of any routes I would like cut, but I will say I've never been on a crowded SFO-ICN flight. Hopefully they are making up for it with cargo.
I think this has to do with the plane they use: VERY old 747, one of the most uncomfortable economy WIHOUT AVOD! I can't think of any other airline using such old seats on a long haul international flight
Old Feb 6, 2016, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by JackInThePlane
It's all relative. I find winter in Europe to be a step up from winter in Chicago.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jimkim82
I think this has to do with the plane they use: VERY old 747, one of the most uncomfortable economy WIHOUT AVOD! I can't think of any other airline using such old seats on a long haul international flight
I thought all the 747s had AVOD now.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cranky1K
I thought all the 747s had AVOD now.
Correct all 747s have AVOD and in seat power (80% sure on the ISP).
Old Feb 6, 2016, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by transportbiz
I also think the airport authority at LHR has successfully made both the costs and misery of LHR high enough to do what they intended which was to reduce demand, at least with connecting flights, I know I'd rather connect ANYWHERE else.

Connecting through T2 at LHR is a pleasure and much easier than FRA. Best UA lounge in the system too plus other nice *Alliance lounges.

Originally Posted by jjka
Hopefully UA cuts SEA-LAX. There will be 6 carriers on the route soon! How can UA make money off this?

I choose UA over the competition!

Originally Posted by Indelaware

EWR offers many flights, friendly and skilled GAs (esp. compared to LGA & JFK), lots of aircraft and aircraft movements to watch while waiting for one's flight, a reasonable level of VDB options, easy access to both NJ & NYC, decent affordable hotels and parking near airport.

Friendly and Skilled FAs?

IMHO, that's a LAUGH.

IAD agents have sass too, but I like their sass over EWR sass...

Originally Posted by jimkim82
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Correct all 747s have AVOD and in seat power (80% sure on the ISP).
Depends upon what you define as AVOD. All now have streaming personal device entertainment, plugs, and wi-fi...which makes flying them no problem at all for me...but there is and there will be no seatback IFE in economy class.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 5:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Does AVOD mean "Audio Visual on Demand"?
In which case streaming to your device or the seat in front of you....you can chose the shows you want when you want....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.