Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Do I get an RPU back if I apply it to a BusinessFirst route that fails to clear?

Do I get an RPU back if I apply it to a BusinessFirst route that fails to clear?

Old Feb 4, 2016, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

Looking at EWR-SFO-HNL flights where EWR-SFO is R0 and SFO-HNL is R positive.

If I apply a GPU and only SFO-HNL clears, do I get the GPU back? It seems to me that the premium cabin on EWR-SFO is called "BusinessFirst" in at least one place on the UA web site, but the premium cabin on SFO-HNL is just called "first".

Then same question for RPU -- if I apply and RPU and only SFO-HNL clears, do I get the RPU back? Similarly it seems to me that the premium cabin on EWR-SFO is called "BusinessFirst" in at least one place on the UA web site, but the premium cabin on SFO-HNL is just called "first".

But I don't know if the special UA t&c for refunding a partially used GPU that touched no BusinessFirst sectors also applies to RPUs.

Last edited by mherdeg; Feb 5, 2016 at 12:39 am
Old Feb 4, 2016, 5:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mherdeg
If I apply a GPU and only SFO-HNL clears, do I get the GPU back? ....

Then same question for RPU -- ....
No & No -- folks have tried and been told no.

There is no such policy for RPUs and UA interpretation of the BF clause only applies to International BF.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 5:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Delta GM
I applied one JFK-SFO-HNL and only cleared on SFO-HNL, and I made the argument that since JFK-SFO was both the longer (distance) and more significant (lie flat vs. Hawaii 777) upgrade, that I should get the RPU back. But they said that the overwater leg was the one that mattered.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cpyankees25
I applied one JFK-SFO-HNL and only cleared on SFO-HNL, and I made the argument that since JFK-SFO was both the longer (distance) and more significant (lie flat vs. Hawaii 777) upgrade, that I should get the RPU back. But they said that the overwater leg was the one that mattered.
Not really. If either one cleared and not the other, the RPU is considered used. You either got a wrong answer or you misunderstood a correct answer.

From the RPU rules: "A Regional Premier Upgrade will be considered used if any segment of an itinerary is upgraded and flown." No argument required.

In your case, the overwater leg DID matter, because it was the one that cleared and therefore the RPU is used. If you cleared JFK-SFO and not SFO-HNL, the JFK-SFO would have mattered and the RPU considered used. The only way you get a RPU back is if no segments clear.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Feb 4, 2016 at 5:43 pm
Old Feb 4, 2016, 5:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Delta GM
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Not really. If either one cleared and not the other, the RPU is considered used. You either got a wrong answer or you misunderstood a correct answer.

From the RPU rules: "A Regional Premier Upgrade will be considered used if any segment of an itinerary is upgraded and flown." No argument required.

In your case, the overwater leg DID matter, because it was the one that cleared and therefore the RPU is used. If you cleared JFK-SFO and not SFO-HNL, the JFK-SFO would have mattered and the RPU considered used. The only way you get a RPU back is if no segments clear.
Fair enough. Just for purposes of showing what I meant, this was the reply when I asked:
You were upgraded on what's called the "over the water" segment of your flight. That flight is considered the major portion of the travel and the upgrade is confirmed for that posrtion. A upgrade on the domestic portion is not guaranteed.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Recently sponsored HNL-DEN-EWR. DEN-EWR cleared and HNL-DEN did not. RPU came back.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
Recently sponsored HNL-DEN-EWR. DEN-EWR cleared and HNL-DEN did not. RPU came back.
Had you split the segments and asked for the RPU to only be applied to hnl to den segment? I have split my RPU and asked to be taken off the waitlist for my shorter segments.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fair enough. Just for purposes of showing what I meant, this was the reply when I asked:
You were upgraded on what's called the "over the water" segment of your flight. That flight is considered the major portion of the travel and the upgrade is confirmed for that posrtion. A upgrade on the domestic portion is not guaranteed.
Yeah, the response shows agent was probably thinking of GPUs. Hawaii is (contrary to some agents' belief) domestic and the overwater segment he/she would correctly be referring to is a int'l BF destination. In those cases, the domestic portion is not guaranteed, but if the upgrade does not clear for a int'l BF (overwater) portion of it, the instrument is refunded.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Feb 4, 2016 at 6:10 pm
Old Feb 4, 2016, 6:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Agents get stuff wrong all the time
Old Feb 4, 2016, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Hawaii is (contrary to some agents' belief) domestic and the overwater segment he/she would correctly be referring to is a int'l BF destination. In those cases, the domestic portion is not guaranteed, but if the upgrade does not clear for a int'l BF (overwater) portion of it, the instrument is refunded.
glad i saw this thread. all along i was under the impression that if your itinerary included a BF segment that didn't clear, you got the RPU back.

looks like i got instrument refund policy confused with MP award upgrade refund policy.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by mherdeg
Then same question for RPU -- if I apply a GPU and only SFO-HNL clears, do I get the GPU back? It seems to me that the premium cabin on EWR-SFO is called "BusinessFirst" in at least one place on the UA web site, but the premium cabin on SFO-HNL is just called "first".
The rules are clear here - YES, you do!

From https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...wupgrades.aspx :

In most cases, the Global Premier Upgrade will be considered used if any segment of an itinerary is upgraded or flown. However, for travel which includes segments in United BusinessFirst or United Global First, the Global Premier Upgrade will be re-deposited if the United BusinessFirst or United Global First segment(s) could not be upgraded.
EWR-SFO-HNL includes a segment in BusinessFirst (EWR-SFO), so if that leg doesn't clear you get your GPU back - even if the other leg clears.

This is NOT the case for RPUs.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 12:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by docbert
EWR-SFO-HNL includes a segment in BusinessFirst (EWR-SFO), so if that leg doesn't clear you get your GPU back - even if the other leg clears.
That's what the rule says but I don't believe we have any confirmation that's how it actually works since they changed ps to a BF route. Until someone reports getting their GPU back, I'd be hesitant to make such a definitive statement.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
Had you split the segments and asked for the RPU to only be applied to hnl to den segment? I have split my RPU and asked to be taken off the waitlist for my shorter segments.
nope. Applied to both. Did not expect it to come back ... and it was inconsequential ... 3 expired 1/31/16
Old Feb 6, 2016, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
That's what the rule says but I don't believe we have any confirmation that's how it actually works since they changed ps to a BF route. Until someone reports getting their GPU back, I'd be hesitant to make such a definitive statement.
Even if it doesn't come back automatically, I'd be fairly sure the 1K MP line would refund it. I've never had issues with them in the past for things like this - and the website is fairly clear that you'll get it back.

And remember, none of this is new. p.s. has moved which means more potential for connections at the EWR end, but the old JFK p.s. was exactly the same rules regarding upgrades.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
It took me 4 emails but I got my GPU back in December when MIA-EWR cleared but EWR-SFO did not.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.