Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Does United's 2016 Upgrade prioritization put ticket price above status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2016, 8:00 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I fly 3-4 flights a week and haven't noticed much difference.

I'm 0/3 on CPU upgrades this year even as GS. The rest of my flights have been purchased first.

I think the real difference is the number of people purchasing first class.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Yep, it's called a brand new website that now displays economy and first class fares right next to each other. Every single search I do results in first being $50-150 more than economy depending on where I'm flying. Domestically in the US it's usually $80-$100. To Mexico City it's never more than $150.

When someone can see it "only" costs (on average) $100 more to upgrade then they will pay it. I know I've done it. I think a lot of people do.

Corporate travel policies about looking lowest fare, etc. usually only apply when you use a corporate travel agency. When booking on your own you can generally get away with what you want to book and then deal with the accounting people on the back-end. That's if they even look at your fare code and know what it means.

The new website is the single most important reason why CPUs are going to go down the drain, IMO. RPUs have become meaningless now, too.

-RM
this +1,000,000,000,000,000,000

with the exception of their joke of a PS service-- First can generally be found for a fairly reasonable up-grade and i find myself doing it more now (especially on short transcons where i'll be out there for only a day-- or red eyes). Corp policy is basically stay within budget and i often can with those by adding a connection and flying in first rather than direct for about the same money in economy.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Baze
Any gold or silver or platinum using miles or instruments will be ahead of a 1K hoping for a CPU (but not a 1K/GS waiting for Y/B/M instant upgrade). Did you ask if those Golds and Silvers ahead of you were using some kind of miles or instrument or on CPU?
January is a crap month for upgrades - always is.

You've got the cross-over of status between those that earnt it the previous year and those that earnt it the year before, but more importantly you've got a non-trivial number of people dumping expiring RPU (and even GPU) on every flight they can - either for themselves or for others.

I used one RPU last week on a 600 mile flight that I probably would have cleared a CPU on (because, why not!), and I had 2 others applied multiple times for gold and silver status people (one finally cleared, the other didn't).

Those Gold and Silvers would have been above the OP on the upgrade list. As of this month, that's not going to happen in anywhere near the quantity it did in January.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 8:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Treeskier
But I am correct.
I'm sure you're correct about being told this by a supervisor, but...

I suggest on your next UA flight you check with a supervisor as to who is ahead of you on the list and why.
Therein lies your problem. Airport agents, including supervisors, are near the bottom of those who have knowledge pertaining to United's upgrade policies. They do what the computer tells them, and they'll make up any story they feel like to explain it.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 9:21 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I'm sure you're correct about being told this by a supervisor, but...
Therein lies your problem. Airport agents, including supervisors, are near the bottom of those who have knowledge pertaining to United's upgrade policies. They do what the computer tells them, and they'll make up any story they feel like to explain it.
----------------------------------
Good if you can find a supervisor who will look at a passenger list (while the flight is soon or ready to board) and "analyze" what each passenger's status is as well as the fare they paid. Even if they did see something amiss, that would not be the time to rearrange the list.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm of two minds on this. On the one hand, it would be nice to be able to see everyone's status and fare basis on the website or app; not only would it help prevent shenanigans, it would enable those with flexible travel plans to SDC to a flight where they'd be higher on the list.

On the other hand, I'd hate to be #1 on the list and watch "my" seat get poached by someone using SDC. :-)

(If this were to happen, I'd also want people to appear on the list before they checked in; otherwise, the list could be really misleading...)
Old Feb 1, 2016, 11:28 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I'm not on either side of this debate of whether the OP is correct or not, but I have flown 18 segments in the last month and was shocked at how far down the list I was for many segments.

In 2015 I would end up in the top 5 on the upgrade list for CPU's, in 2016 I have been as high as 15 on the upgrade list at the close of boarding.

Have 6 segments to fly this week beginning Feb. 2nd, but I upgraded 2 with a RPU, and 2 more are on 200's, so two flights to see how far down I will miss the upgrade at departure.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 6:49 am

It felt as such but it's not true

I recently wound up 23rd on an international UG list as a 1k. Ostensibly, I was on a lowly W fare, and the LA (lounge agent) explained that there were 5 globals and 25 1Ks. On domestic routes, people with expiring regionals try to blow them off this time of year, so the OP may have found himself lower on the list than usual.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by jsloan
On the other hand, I'd hate to be #1 on the list and watch "my" seat get poached by someone using SDC. :-)
Why would you hate to see the seat go to an SDC? It means someone *paid* for first class and is SDC'ing their flight. What you should hate to see is if someone TODs you

Since I buy P or higher fares (unless only on a domestic ticket) I really wish UA would hold a seat or two in F up until flight time so I can SDC when needed. Many times in the past 6 months I've been unable to SDC unless I'm willing to voluntarily downgrade myself.

-RM
Old Feb 2, 2016, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Gold
Since I buy P or higher fares (unless only on a domestic ticket) I really wish UA would hold a seat or two in F up until flight time so I can SDC when needed. Many times in the past 6 months I've been unable to SDC unless I'm willing to voluntarily downgrade myself.

-RM
I agree with this, although it seems like they usually keep 1 seat open up until departure unless someone TODs it.

I always get a little nervous when flying paid F that in case of IRROPS, they have already CPUd away all open seats on other flights.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Baze
...And seem to remember this coming up a couple months ago too but can't find that thread.
Yup...in this post:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25602566-post116.html
Old Feb 2, 2016, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Avis First, Hertz PC
I've seen this happen when paid F flyers are in Y. They are like distressed passengers and get priority over Y->F upgrades. Although sometimes it doesn't get coded correctly and I've ended up at #20 on the upgrade list despite having an originally paid F itinerary.

This can happen if you miss a connection, during IRROPs, SDC, etc, lots of ways for a silver or gold to end up in Y with a paid F ticket.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why would you hate to see the seat go to an SDC? It means someone *paid* for first class and is SDC'ing their flight. What you should hate to see is if someone TODs you
To be clear -- I was suggesting that UA publish the priority of everyone on the waitlist. As a plat frequently traveling on N, G, K fares, I would be vulnerable to SDC from a 1K, or a plat on an M, V, W, etc., presumably from a flight where they didn't expect to clear. That can obviously happen today, but publishing the priority information would make it obvious which flights were the best targets.

(I realize that only a small fraction of the flying populace would try to take advantage of this. However, a large number of the people reading this thread might be among them. :-)
Old Feb 2, 2016, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC

Tree skier, you were flying from den to SFO the week of the Super Bowl and were surprised you did not get an upgrade? I'm number 2 tonight as a GS on a y fare, it's a busy flight this week
Old Feb 2, 2016, 7:09 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Thanks for the welcome. But I am correct. I suggest on your next UA flight you check with a supervisor as to who is ahead of you on the list and why. It's simply what I did. When you are 13th on the list consistently after being upgraded or No 1/2 on the list consistently you figure out pretty fast something is up.

Yes I did, they were not using instruments / miles. They were simply a higher fare basis - they paid slightly more than I had for a ticket.
Nah it's just not the case.. in the past couple years I've been upgrade at the 96 hour window, and I've been as low as #20 on the list at the gate when it was long missing it by a mile. There has been no policy change despite what an airport agent told you. After Feb 16th there's going to be a 1K friendly change where lower status folks on Y/B fares will not be prioritized ahead of 1K's on the CPU list as they are today.

Treeskier, you might also consider if you were traveling on a flight where people were re-booked from other flights that may have been delayed or cancelled due to weather..UA will often re-book them in full Y class. And if they have any level of Premier status...they will be ahead of you on the CPU list (this is another thing that will be fixed after Feb 16th for 1K's..lower level elites will not get that advantage any longer). There have been a lot of weather problems recently.. I'm thinking perhaps this is what you encountered and there were silvers/golds that happened to skip over you.

Despite what an airport employee told you... mahasamatman is correct.. they are rarely a reliable source of information on policy changes like this... UA publishes the upgrade priority right on its website... and nothing changed Jan 1. Feb 16th.. that's the date for the next change, and it will be a change in your favor.

As others have mentioned... the tantalizing A, Z, and P fares have become quite attractive as well especially with the 200% PQM earnings (which started Jan 1). I've taken just 2 domestic trips this year total and have over 25k PQM's because I took advantage of paid first deals.. no playing of the upgrade game either.

Last edited by SEA1K4EVR; Feb 2, 2016 at 7:15 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.