Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Reintroducing Early Boarding for Families with Children

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Is the change to early boarding for families w/children 2 or under a good move by UA?
Like the change and it will improve boarding time
9.68%
Like the change but it will not improve boarding time
9.01%
Dislike the change but it will improve boarding time
2.15%
Dislike the change and it will not improve boarding time
61.02%
Could support a different change and it will improve boarding time
3.09%
Could support a different change but it will not improve boarding time
2.96%
Neutral but it will improve boarding times
2.02%
Neutral but it will not improve boarding times
10.08%
Voters: 744. You may not vote on this poll

Reintroducing Early Boarding for Families with Children

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2016, 10:37 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Huge +1 for this change. Thanks UA.

Two parts to this:
For people traveling with small children, this is great. Traveling with little kids is a major hassle and all you want is to settle down. Not getting enough space is a nightmare, as you don't have food, toys, diapers, etc. at hand.

As a 1K, flying only domestic F and international BF, I couldn't care less when my kids aren't with me. Families typically fly Y, so they will quickly walk to to their section and be out of my way. By not delaying others, the plane will be less delayed.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
Huge +1 for this change. Thanks UA.

Two parts to this:
For people traveling with small children, this is great. Traveling with little kids is a major hassle and all you want is to settle down. Not getting enough space is a nightmare, as you don't have food, toys, diapers, etc. at hand.

As a 1K, flying only domestic F and international BF, I couldn't care less when my kids aren't with me. Families typically fly Y, so they will quickly walk to to their section and be out of my way. By not delaying others, the plane will be less delayed.
But if UA doesn't build in some sort of a delay between these families and the rest of the boarding they WILL delay others and possibly the plane. This has been discussed extensively in this thread.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 11:28 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Baze
But if UA doesn't build in some sort of a delay between these families and the rest of the boarding they WILL delay others and possibly the plane. This has been discussed extensively in this thread.
I see your point, but I don't buy it. I live in Australia, where at least one of the local airlines preboards young children and it doesn't seem to cause any issues. They tend to preboard families just before the plane is ready. By the time the family is down the jetbridge, the crew is more or less ready to receive them.

Like exbayern points out in post #461, the real problem is that "UA lacks enforcement in general on various things, including oversize carryon." In Australia, there is always a small scale at boarding. Too heavy or too big? Then your bag is gate checked.

Looking at earlier posts, it's easy to point at bad examples which should have been handled by the GAs. When my wife and I travel with our two kids (1.5 and 3.5), we're pretty organized: check as much stuff as we can, have all documents in order, fold the (carry on size compliant) stroller in no time and get the kids organized on the plane as quickly as possible. It's really not that hard, but you need to be prepared.

Yes, things are the way the are. I abuse the rules myself by bringing too big and too heavy carry ons. It's convenient to be able to bring lots of stuff. Before re-gaining 1K status with UA, I flew BG4 a few times and was forced to gate check my carry on every time. It was really annoying.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I see your point, but I don't buy it. I live in Australia, where at least one of the local airlines preboards young children and it doesn't seem to cause any issues. They tend to preboard families just before the plane is ready. By the time the family is down the jetbridge, the crew is more or less ready to receive them.
But is there a gap between these pre-boards and the rest of the horde? Or is the rest of the horde hot on the heels of the pre-board? The problem I see here in the states is they do the pre-board and immediately start the rest of the boarding and things just clog up behind the pre-boards moving very slowly down the jetway for whatever reason, elderly, disabled, wheelchair. People try to get around them because they are so slow. I see this repeatedly. Maybe Australia knows how to actually do pre-boards. But I rarely see it done properly here in the states. So you don't have to buy it but you are describing another country. I see you are 1K but how much domestic USA flying do you do? I am on planes domestically just about weekly so see quite a bit. For it to work there has to be a pause between pre-boards and everyone else. So buy it or not, I state things as I see them. And my experience is before the families with small children is starting and I only see it getting worse when it goes into effect unless they build the gap in.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 11:54 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
The additional wait for elites aside, what I really dislike about the change is that it boosts the sense of entitlement of that (small) fraction of parents who already have a Zeppelin sized sense of entitlement.

This will trigger further demands on behalf of the owners of baby Jesi (or is that Jesus or Jesuses?) to get pre-departure drinks, the milk heated up, modifications to meals, no recline for anyone else, no longer feeling guilty for kicking seats etc etc etc etc.
Originally Posted by fastair
Age (in years) is most often expressed as an integer, easily calculated by truncating the expanded age.
So then you soon can skip buying a seat for a 2 years, 11 months old child?
Along the same lines where a 3:14 scheduled departure is still out on time if it leaves at 3:14 and 59 seconds...
The joke would have been more insider-ish if you used 3:14 vs. 3:14:15.926 ...
Old Feb 5, 2016, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by Baze
But is there a gap between these pre-boards and the rest of the horde? Or is the rest of the horde hot on the heels of the pre-board? The problem I see here in the states is they do the pre-board and immediately start the rest of the boarding and things just clog up behind the pre-boards moving very slowly down the jetway for whatever reason, elderly, disabled, wheelchair. People try to get around them because they are so slow. I see this repeatedly. Maybe Australia knows how to actually do pre-boards. But I rarely see it done properly here in the states. So you don't have to buy it but you are describing another country. I see you are 1K but how much domestic USA flying do you do? I am on planes domestically just about weekly so see quite a bit. For it to work there has to be a pause between pre-boards and everyone else. So buy it or not, I state things as I see them. And my experience is before the families with small children is starting and I only see it getting worse when it goes into effect unless they build the gap in.
I'm guessing there is a small gap, although I'm not sure.

About half of my UA flights are domestic, and only in F. Maybe I'm off here, but I thought that BG1 was mostly F passengers and 1Ks that are in the front of the plane (E+), whereas families tend to be in the back of the plane (E-).

Hence why I don't see a reason for families to clog the access: They should be going to a different part of the plane.

Originally Posted by weero
The additional wait for elites aside, what I really dislike about the change is that it boosts the sense of entitlement of that (small) fraction of parents who already have a Zeppelin sized sense of entitlement.

This will trigger further demands on behalf of the owners of baby Jesi (or is that Jesus or Jesuses?) to get pre-departure drinks, the milk heated up, modifications to meals, no recline for anyone else, no longer feeling guilty for kicking seats etc etc etc etc.

So then you soon can skip buying a seat for a 2 years, 11 months old child?

The joke would have been more insider-ish if you used 3:14 vs. 3:14:15.926 ...
This logic around the two years is plain wrong. The UA wording is "Children UNDER the age of two"

Specifically:
"Once infants turn two years old, they are required to have a purchased ticket and occupy a seat. Infants who reach their second birthday after their outbound flight must have a purchased ticket and occupy a seat for their return flight(s)."

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...s/default.aspx

Last edited by l etoile; Feb 6, 2016 at 7:20 am
Old Feb 6, 2016, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm guessing there is a small gap, although I'm not sure.

About half of my UA flights are domestic, and only in F. Maybe I'm off here, but I thought that BG1 was mostly F passengers and 1Ks that are in the front of the plane (E+), whereas families tend to be in the back of the plane (E-).

Hence why I don't see a reason for families to clog the access: They should be going to a different part of the plane.
BG1 is Premium cabins and 1K's and Platinums in the back. It can be quite large at hubs. People have given plenty of examples of families clogging things up in this thread so I won't regurgitate them again.

This logic around the two years is plain wrong. The UA wording is "Children UNDER the age of two"

Specifically:
"Once infants turn two years old, they are required to have a purchased ticket and occupy a seat. Infants who reach their second birthday after their outbound flight must have a purchased ticket and occupy a seat for their return flight(s)."

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...s/default.aspx
That is true for tickets but the pre-boarding for families has different wording, read post 1 again, it specifically says 2 and under, NOT under 2.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 3:34 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
While controversial, the lanes are a useful way of keeping people in the right location before boarding and stopping the logjam and push/shove/cutting action that existed before. I might be in the minority, but I like them.

I took two flights on AA over the holidays, one from MIA, and one from LAX. On both flights, the boarding process was complete chaos with a massive rush of people surging forward the moment the GA propped the door open, and half the flight trying to board ahead of their priority while people were trying to swim upstream to join their boarding priority against lower priority people trying to hold them back.

It was one of the most stressful boarding experiences I ever witnessed, and it was led by a nonstop barrage of obnoxious soccer-mom types shoving people aside while leading their collection of way-older-than-2 children to pre board. On both flights, once general boarding started, people were storming up the general and priority lanes simultaneously without regard to the proper process and the GA's did nothing to stop it.

The lanes keep people separated, orderly and in the right place and prevent this type of mob chaos that plagues other US carriers.
I like the lanes too. It's not perfect, but it's a lot more organized than before. BG3-5 don't stand in the 1-2 lanes, which was a big issue before.

And I agree on AA. I tried them a few times in the last year as a non-status passenger and nothing about the experience was better than UA, operationally. They seem to be floundering where UA was for a couple years post merger, except with a reservations system that actually works.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 4:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JBord
I like the lanes too. It's not perfect, but it's a lot more organized than before. BG3-5 don't stand in the 1-2 lanes, which was a big issue before.

And I agree on AA. I tried them a few times in the last year as a non-status passenger and nothing about the experience was better than UA, operationally. They seem to be floundering where UA was for a couple years post merger, except with a reservations system that actually works.
I fly AA just as much as I fly UA, and while Parker is making some of the mistakes Smisek did - cheap food in F - the AA boarding process remains superior to UA's from the elite POV. Maybe it is chaos for general boarding, but as a Plat there I simply don't see it. The only thing I do see is the same problem UA has - people bringing too much crap with them on the plane, and on a full flight that means last minute gate checks.

Before UA left DCA pier B, you could watch AA and UA boarding the same size planes. Before 2012, there was no perceptible difference between the two. After UA changed, you would see UA struggle to board a 738 while AA boarded the same size plane with relative ease.

Boarding families who truly needed this assistance early wouldn't be a problem if UA's overall boarding process wasn't flawed. When part of your marketing is to sell "priority access" to as many customers as possible and you have a large frequent-flier based to begin with, it is a recipe for disaster. I have seen many flights at hub location where boarding group one is bigger than boarding group 2. How does that saying go? "When everyone is elite no one is elite."

I will repeat what I said several times upthread - if United would adopt an aggressive policy to limit carry-on luggage, people would eventually realize that they didn't have to rush to get on the airplane. If people were assured space on board, you wouldn't need 5 boarding lanes at every gate, and a change like this wouldn't be such a big deal.

I do give United credit for instituting it now. If they had tried to do this at the beginning of the summer travel season it would've been a debacle.

Last edited by halls120; Feb 6, 2016 at 5:04 am
Old Feb 6, 2016, 5:50 am

Programs: -=- UA: GS + 3.9 Million Miler; Hilton: Diamond; Marriott: Gold; Hertz: President's Circle
It still bothers me that UA didn't improve the boarding process for GS and 1K before they going with screwing around with allowing families to board first.

Seems common sense to take care of improvements for your best customers first. Then, worry about the incremental margin from those that travel few times a year (families traveling w/ young children).

I don't understand why UA rushed the decision on families before they are ready to announce all of the boarding changes as a lump. The only possible reason is to get positive PR in the news (at the expense of taking a bashing on FT).
Old Feb 6, 2016, 7:49 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by halls120
I will repeat what I said several times upthread - if United would adopt an aggressive policy to limit carry-on luggage, people would eventually realize that they didn't have to rush to get on the airplane. If people were assured space on board, you wouldn't need 5 boarding lanes at every gate, and a change like this wouldn't be such a big deal.

I do give United credit for instituting it now. If they had tried to do this at the beginning of the summer travel season it would've been a debacle.
I agree in theory, but what would you have them change? I see two problems:

1. Things got much worse when they started charging for checked bags.
2. GA's generally enforce the rules , but FA's don't. I might have a different perspective in BG2 than all the 1k's here. When I boarded a flight last week at ORD, every bin I could see had at least one coat in it. No exaggeration. Then I waited behind the passenger in row 10 to put both his bags in the overhead, and stand in the aisle while he slowly and carefully folded his sport coat...and put it in the bin.

Originally Posted by Live4Upgrade
It still bothers me that UA didn't improve the boarding process for GS and 1K before they going with screwing around with allowing families to board first.
There are a lot of posts saying this, but what's the 1K problem that needs fixing? Is it that you don't feel special enough boarding with those filthy Platinums? Or that sometimes a FA dares to ask you to please put one of those 3 things under your seat?

Obviously I'm being facetious, but as I (who for 2 years as a Gold has neared or exceeded the 1k PQD level) stand behind the credit card holders in line 2, I'm not seeing any actual problems. I see problems for the GS who have to maneuver around BG1 though.

To be honest, for the 12 months and 1 week since I moved from group 1 to 2, I don't really have many complaints about the process. It could be better, but I get on the plane and get my ONE, REGULATION-SIZED bag in a bin. What else is there?
Old Feb 6, 2016, 8:04 am

Programs: -=- UA: GS + 3.9 Million Miler; Hilton: Diamond; Marriott: Gold; Hertz: President's Circle
Putting family pre-boarding topic aside, there are three root problems:

1. No defined way for GS to Board without cutting in front of the line or stepping over those in Group 1.
2. Group 1 is too big. Premium cabin + 1K + Plat is often ⅓ or more of the passengers.
Plat should be moved to a separate group.
3. Group 2 is a joke. Make priority boarding only available for Club card (not Explorer) to thin the ranks. Eliminate priority boarding benefit for Silver.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 8:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JBord
I agree in theory, but what would you have them change? I see two problems:

1. Things got much worse when they started charging for checked bags.
2. GA's generally enforce the rules , but FA's don't. I might have a different perspective in BG2 than all the 1k's here. When I boarded a flight last week at ORD, every bin I could see had at least one coat in it. No exaggeration. Then I waited behind the passenger in row 10 to put both his bags in the overhead, and stand in the aisle while he slowly and carefully folded his sport coat...and put it in the bin.
IME, GA's almost never enforce the rule - not in the manner that BA does - and the problem is more than just coats in the overhead - it's people bringing more than 2 carry on items on board.

It did get worse when they started charging for checked bags, and the higher load factors add to the problem. On AA, when a flight is full, the GA's are aggressive about offering free gate bag checking for people in the last boarding groups, something UA ought to consider doing.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 8:13 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Originally Posted by Live4Upgrade
Putting family pre-boarding topic aside, there are three root problems:

1. No defined way for GS to Board without cutting in front of the line or stepping over those in Group 1.
2. Group 1 is too big. Premium cabin + 1K + Plat is often ⅓ or more of the passengers.
Plat should be moved to a separate group.
3. Group 2 is a joke. Make priority boarding only available for Club card (not Explorer) to thin the ranks. Eliminate priority boarding benefit for Silver.
Following your logic, then Plat should be ahead of card and gold 👍
Old Feb 6, 2016, 8:15 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by halls120
IME, GA's almost never enforce the rule - not in the manner that BA does - and the problem is more than just coats in the overhead - it's people bringing more than 2 carry on items on board.

It did get worse when they started charging for checked bags, and the higher load factors add to the problem. On AA, when a flight is full, the GA's are aggressive about offering free gate bag checking for people in the last boarding groups, something UA ought to consider doing.
Or when boarding an RJ I'll sit there and watch an FA tell someone that "the bins are small that probably won't fit" and the person continues down the aisle with their steamer trunk only to have to swim up stream again to gate check it.
You spend hours upon hours a day on this plane, you'll know what won't fit, you're the expert. Put your damn foot down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.