Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Life after 1K

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2016, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Baze
I believe what they are trying to say is they don't even need to fly 50K to get the Gold benefits and if don't have MM have to fly 50K (and spend $6K) to get the Gold benefits. So is much easier for the MM than the non-MM.
Like I said, if you're flying to get the benefits that makes a difference. But if you're flying to fly, and you're still flying that 60k anyway, I see no reason why a MM would enjoy any more or less his 60k in the back of the bus. I felt no better knowing that even if I hadn't been flying this year, somewhere a computer would still know I was a gold.

I think this entire thing is based on the assumption that MM'ers don't fly much any more (often false - certainly in my case), and the assumption that those who aren't MM's will worry and fly more to maintain a status which they otherwise wouldn't need if they weren't flying so much to maintain a status (sometimes true, but god only knows why).

Last edited by elCheapoDeluxe; Feb 10, 2016 at 12:47 pm
Old Feb 10, 2016, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
Like I said, if you're flying to get the benefits that makes a difference. But if you're flying to fly, and you're still flying that 60k anyway, I see no reason why a MM would enjoy any more or less his 60k in the back of the bus. I felt no better knowing that even if I hadn't been flying this year, somewhere a computer would still know I was a gold.

I think this entire thing is based on the assumption that MM'ers don't fly much any more (often false - certainly in my case), and the assumption that those who aren't MM's will worry and fly more to maintain a status which they otherwise wouldn't need if they weren't flying so much to maintain a status (sometimes true, but god only knows why).
You are totally misreading what they are saying. The MM Gold may only fly UA a couple times but gets the Gold benefits including lounge access international. The non-MM needs to fly at least 50K and spend $6K to get those same benefits. The MM would probably be ok on an occasional UA flight not getting a CPU but getting the other benefits. The non-MM would be in the back a LOT more than the MM gold just by virtue of having to be on UA more to get the Gold benefits. Not getting 1 or 2 or 3 CPU's as the MM is much more tolerable than being in coach 30 or more times and not getting CPU in order to get the same gold benefits. They never said the MM Gold flies the same amount as the non-MM gold. Don't know where you read that into the equation. They even used the word occasional for the MM gold and you even quoted that word occasional.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
You are totally misreading what they are saying. The MM Gold may only fly UA a couple times but gets the Gold benefits including lounge access international. The non-MM needs to fly at least 50K and spend $6K to get those same benefits. The MM would probably be ok on an occasional UA flight not getting a CPU but getting the other benefits. The non-MM would be in the back a LOT more than the MM gold just by virtue of having to be on UA more to get the Gold benefits. Not getting 1 or 2 or 3 CPU's as the MM is much more tolerable than being in coach 30 or more times and not getting CPU in order to get the same gold benefits. They never said the MM Gold flies the same amount as the non-MM gold. Don't know where you read that into the equation. They even used the word occasional for the MM gold and you even quoted that word occasional.
I quoted it because it is wrong. It is an assumption. Show me where people who are MM are lighter-than-average fliers? For people who actually fly, the experience is identical.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM after 10+ years as 1K
Knocked down, but getting up again

I have been 1K 10+ years. 2015 flew 103K PQM and had $8.7K PQD. Didn't realize I hadn't hit the PQD threshold of $12K (my bad), and got knocked back to Gold. Ouch. Called to complain and request 1K, they granted me Plat. Could be worse, I guess, but giving serious thought to going with AA given other comments in this thread re: odds of successful upgrades, which is what makes the biggest difference for me.

But I harbor no illusions that AA is radically better otherwise. Just varying degrees of suckiness. Constantly amazed by UA's lack of interest in maintaining longtime loyal customers.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I quoted it because it is wrong. It is an assumption. Show me where people who are MM are lighter-than-average fliers? For people who actually fly, the experience is identical.
They did not say the MM was an infrequent flier. Just on UA occasionally. That MM is probably flying other airlines too. MM may be retired and not flying much anymore. Lots of ways a MM could be an occasional UA or even just a generally occasional flier. You have blinders on and are thinking way too narrow in the scope of the discussion. If you don't get it now there is no sense in my saying anymore. Believe what you want.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 1:54 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
I will likely fit into this category: flying much less than 50K per year on United, but occasional domestic flights which will give nominal Gold benefits, and occasional short-haul flights in Europe and Asia on Star partners.

Even if I continue to fly 100K+ per year across all airlines, I can shift the business away from United (and not have to worry about 016 ticketing on partner flights) with less cost than if I were not Gold.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 5:49 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mecabq
I will likely fit into this category: flying much less than 50K per year on United, but occasional domestic flights which will give nominal Gold benefits, and occasional short-haul flights in Europe and Asia on Star partners.

Even if I continue to fly 100K+ per year across all airlines, I can shift the business away from United (and not have to worry about 016 ticketing on partner flights) with less cost than if I were not Gold.
Agreed. MM status makes it much easier for me to fly non-UA metal. In a previous life I would have concentrated my travel on UA to keep 1K status. Now I just look to buy cheap FC fares on whatever airline and book UA when it either fills that cheap FC bucket or when no one else does. If I didn't have a guarantee base of Gold I'd likely still feel some pressure to concentrate flying on UA even when they weren't the cheapest FC option.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 6:56 am

Programs: None - previously UA
I believe what they are trying to say is they don't even need to fly 50K to get the Gold benefits and if don't have MM have to fly 50K (and spend $6K) to get the Gold benefits. So is much easier for the MM than the non-MM.
They are both in my opinion smarter than the 1K's/MM who have seen their upgrade percentage drop precipitously but don't adjust their spending behavior at all. Even if you are no better off in terms of benefits it at least a sends a message in the only language they understand which might just get through.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 9:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium
You guys all said it for me even though I said it for me! A MM doesn't travel less but it's not caged and it's free to fly anywhere with anyone!
Old Feb 11, 2016, 9:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Bruin1K
You guys all said it for me even though I said it for me! A MM doesn't travel less but it's not caged and it's free to fly anywhere with anyone!
Indeed. And there's no longer any benefit (in terms of status) to flying less than 75K PQM on UA in any given year, which may further encourage straying to OAL.

otoh, the Gold benefits are pretty meaningful, particularly if I'm flying Y. If I'm choosing Y on UA vs. AA or DL, that's a no brainer with free E+, checked bags, and premier access.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 9:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Kacee
Indeed. And there's no longer any benefit (in terms of status) to flying less than 75K PQM on UA in any given year, which may further encourage straying to OAL.

otoh, the Gold benefits are pretty meaningful, particularly if I'm flying Y. If I'm choosing Y on UA vs. AA or DL, that's a no brainer with free E+, checked bags, and premier access.
Not to mention access to star gold lounges. I have club membership which gets me into business lounge in FRA but I can only go to the vastly superior senator lounge with my star gold status and 016 can suck it!
Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Bruin1K
Not to mention access to star gold lounges. I have club membership which gets me into business lounge in FRA but I can only go to the vastly superior senator lounge with my star gold status and 016 can suck it!
True, though with Amex Plat and Priority Pass, my use of the UA Club is now very infrequent. Even when I do have access through *G, I often don't use it.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 11:40 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by channa
True, though with Amex Plat and Priority Pass, my use of the UA Club is now very infrequent. Even when I do have access through *G, I often don't use it.
Much more of a benefit internationally, IMO.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 11:13 am Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old Feb 11, 2016, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by cyborg
I shifted domestic travel from UA to VX over the last couple of years. They have a very good Y product especially with MCS which I find better than a typical UA F experience.
Which is why I left VX and B6 out of that calculus All else being equal, I'd rather fly B6 in Y t-con (even more space) over a dark UA 739 in F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.