Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Life after 1K

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2016, 3:17 pm

Programs: United Gold, Delta Silver, SPG Gold
Went from 1K to Gold this year. Most of my flying was TPAC, so will definately miss the GPU's. Even as a waitlisted R space, was always upgraded. Won't miss RPU's or CPU's. As a Gold, will also miss the fee waiver for changing award tickets.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by TonyBurr
+1 It certainly can be great! I was 1K for 19 straight years and thought I could not survive without it. I was wrong!
19 x 100,000 miles. You should be very close to a 2MMer. But your profile says "MM." I will drop my 1K status next year or the year after next year.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kmxu
19 x 100,000 miles. You should be very close to a 2MMer. But your profile says "MM." I will drop my 1K status next year or the year after next year.
COS PQM bonuses don't count. Flying other airlines PQM's don't count. Only BIS on UA metal counts. So could easily be a 19 year 1K and still be very far from 2MM. And depending on how you did it I could see a 19 year 1K not even have 1MM lifetime UA miles.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by mecabq
Some encouraging reports here of people not missing much, as I am in a similar boat. Ten-plus years as 1K, dropped to nothing for 2016, though I qualified for Silver by January 31. Currently at 997K lifetime, so the next flight will be my first in a decade and last ever at a level below Gold.

I will miss GPUs, though the only times they have been indispensable to me is on the BAH/KWI and DOH/DXB flights, which are now gone.

Won't miss RPUs or CPUs, since I don't think that I cleared a single one on a transcon flight in two years (flying between SFO/LAX and IAD/JFK/EWR).

Meca, how are you travelling now to BAH and DXB since UA has cancelled those flights?
Old Feb 3, 2016, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
Dealing with it!

deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 11:15 am Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old Feb 3, 2016, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Baze
COS PQM bonuses don't count. Flying other airlines PQM's don't count. Only BIS on UA metal counts. So could easily be a 19 year 1K and still be very far from 2MM. And depending on how you did it I could see a 19 year 1K not even have 1MM lifetime UA miles.
There was one-time adjustment for bumping the life-time BIS to life-time PQM when CO merged with UA. His life miles are, thus, not less than 1.5 M for the first 15 years as 1K.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kmxu
There was one-time adjustment for bumping the life-time BIS to life-time PQM when CO merged with UA. His life miles are, thus, not less than 1.5 M for the first 15 years as 1K.
And we all know they did that 1 time adjustment calculation 100% correct

I have a vague recollection that the one time adjustment did not include anything prior to a certain year as the records weren't in such a way it could be calculate. Seem to remember people posting they adjustment was not correct and this is what was uncovered. Can't remember what the year was though.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 7:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Baze
And we all know they did that 1 time adjustment calculation 100% correct
In my case, I actually got quite a bit more than I was expecting, but my calculations could have been way off, too.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 7:41 pm

Based on the thread title I would rather be interested to read the reports of someone who really experiences life after 1K but without the MM cushion.
1K or not 1K is not really a problem if you are a MMer, no?
Old Feb 3, 2016, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
Based on the thread title I would rather be interested to read the reports of someone who really experiences life after 1K but without the MM cushion.
1K or not 1K is not really a problem if you are a MMer, no?
There is a huge difference between 1K and Gold. MM only gives you Gold. 2MM - Platinum and then 3MM gives you 1K.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA-gld HH-gld Marriot-gld Hertz-Pres Circle
Life after 1K

Some people qualify for 1k with segments... You can fly 120x and only go 60k miles
Old Feb 4, 2016, 5:42 am

Programs: UA 1MM
The only difference I have seen was I went from group 1 to group 2. Not too huge. I don't think I will miss the 1 RPU that cleared (which was the only flight with a meal that upgraded last year) and I still get upgraded on most of my short RJ700 segments. Heck I have even had an empty middle next to me on 3 of last 4 flights this year on mainline
Old Feb 4, 2016, 6:17 am

Programs: United Million Mile Flyer, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, DL, AA WN
Life goes on! I have gotten used to the new status quo. Maybe this is exactly what United had in mind with its war on its elites.

I was only K for a few years and usually Premier Executive for most of the 90s and early 2000s. I am a 1.7+mm, but job changes and semi-retirement working for a non profit have reduced my travel a lot. There may be more travel on the horizon this year, but United has "trained" me to look for the best travel deal for me - often not on United. Why? There are other threads centered around the benefits and downsides of the previous management's attitudes.

Others have noted the differences: fewer/no upgrades, boarding group 2, etc.

Basically, I accept the remaining perks offered to MMs with Gold status coupled with credit card benefits. When United offers the best over all deal, I book United. When another airline offers the best deal, I go for it. After all, United is not the only airline that offers buy up options.

Interestingly, I have gotten used to flying Economy Plus (or Delta Comfort, or...). Except for the seat (as has been noted in other threads) first class is not what it used to be). I am glad to accept an upgrade, but my expectations have been lowered.

For me the most valuable perk remains the ability to select Economy Plus at booking. If and when this goes away.....
Old Feb 4, 2016, 6:42 am

Programs: 1K MMiler, Hertz 5*
I'm yet another 10 year 1K that dropped down to Gold this year, there are at least 20 of us in this thread alone and probably 100's in total on FT. To my knowledge UA has made no direct contact with any of them. Wouldn't UA Insider be better utilized trying to work out how to get some of these disenfranchised 1K's back instead spending his/her time updating everybody on the mini pretzel situation in Y?
Old Feb 4, 2016, 6:45 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Previous multiple year 1K. I finally dropped to dirt a few days ago, then I remembered I effectively have lifetime Marriott Platinum status, so bumped myself up to Silver. Close to MM status but it's not a priority with current state of affairs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.