Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Complimentary Food & Beverage for Global Services & 1K Members when Seated in Economy

Old Jan 22, 2016, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...y-benefit.aspx

One way that we're enhancing the inflight experience for our most frequent flyers is by offering MileagePlus members with Premier® 1K® status free alcoholic beverages and snacks in United Economy®. If you’re a member with Premier 1K status, you'll receive one free alcoholic beverage and one free Choice Menu food item when traveling in United Economy on any United- or United Express®-operated flight system-wide, subject to availability on your flight.
Before ordering, make sure your flight attendant knows that you’re a member with Premier 1K status, and show your digital MileagePlus membership card, available in the United app, or your Premier membership card or boarding pass.

Please note that customers can request any alcoholic beverage except half-bottles of premium wines (375 mL)

All Choice Menu options, both Snack Shop and Bistro on Board items, are included

Originally Posted by UA Insider
Complimentary items are offered only to GS/1K members, regardless of other passengers who may share the same PNR.

-UA Insider
Print Wikipost

Complimentary Food & Beverage for Global Services & 1K Members when Seated in Economy

Old Aug 29, 2022, 12:29 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

Got the burger and a cocktail on SFO-EWR yesterday. I had to ask the FA if there was buy on board. She said "oh the cart's down there. What do you want?". Not exactly top notch service.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
^ IAD-LAX last week the FA apologized in advance that they hadn't catered the bistro burger. Ended up with the cheese plate instead, which was fine - i'd had early dinner in the airport.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Can someone confirm that GS is allowed more than one alcoholic drinks or just one per flight?

I got charged in my credit card for a second drink on a transcon flight recently.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Can someone confirm that GS is allowed more than one alcoholic drinks or just one per flight?

I got charged in my credit card for a second drink on a transcon flight recently.
Policy is 1 drink per flight. Some FAs comp all drinks, but I would say that is exception.

If you have old drink chits, they are usually still accepted. I just used one from 2017.

I generally do not save my credit card for onboard payment so that I don't get a charge I'm not expecting. You can do it in flight if needed.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by fumje
I generally do not save my credit card for onboard payment so that I don't get a charge I'm not expecting. You can do it in flight if needed.
If you have a credit card on file already (for airfare purchase), UA adds it for your onboarding purchases as well. Haven't figured out a way to remove...I had been charged in the past on my first item.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
If you have a credit card on file already (for airfare purchase), UA adds it for your onboarding purchases as well. Haven't figured out a way to remove...I had been charged in the past on my first item.
Yes, I don't save a card to my profile at all. If you have it saved, indeed, I don't believe there's a way to remove it.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer

Spec's sells mini's for $1 retail. Imagine what UA is paying at their volume and therefore what it would cost them to comp 1K or GS two drinks versus the damage it does for a HVF to get s surprise charge after they land? Shortsighted IMO.
drewguy likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
I've had FAs verify identity when I order a drink, so reasonably sure they're marking my drink order (first) as a "complimentary". I haven't seen any surprise charges. Yet.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drewguy
I've had FAs verify identity when I order a drink, so reasonably sure they're marking my drink order (first) as a "complimentary". I haven't seen any surprise charges. Yet.
I actually don't think FAs see explicitly comp or not when they do the handheld, and they don't need to take action to make it complimentary. They just see if the 'payment' goes through (and get a prompt to thank us for our business when 1K/GS). I've had an FA ask me to verify my email for receipt, which seems unnecessary if they see there's no charge being made.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Do you now have to “preload” a credit card in the app?
I just asked for a snackbox and the FA is making a fuss because I don’t have a card preloaded in the app.
I haven’t flown in a while and they used to,just ask if you wanted the complimentary box.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dimramon
I just asked for a snackbox and the FA is making a fuss because I don’t have a card preloaded in the app.
I haven’t flown in a while and they used to,just ask if you wanted the complimentary box.
Just say yes, you have a payment method loaded. They’ll tap away and hand you your comp box.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 11:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Did you check in online, because it notes you need to setup a credit card for inflight purchases.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Did you check in online, because it notes you need to setup a credit card for inflight purchases.
You can skip that if you'll just be asking for the 1 complimentary item.

There's no need to have a credit card loaded to receive the benefit from the thread title.
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I did check in online. I added a card during the flight and then got her attention again, since she had walked away because “she didn’t see a preloaded card and couldn’t give me a box”. I had her scan the QR code and got my box.
This just seems like a cumbersome process. I liked the old process better, vs having to show a QR code.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 3:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I did check in online. I added a card during the flight and then got her attention again, .... I liked the old process better, vs having to show a QR code.
You are set for the future, no need for the QR code next time.

As mentioned , while purchase will be successful, as an 1K the first item will be free.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.